U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:22 PM

21 posts, read 14,614 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I definitely know it's not as conservative as it was 30 years ago. I mean, I was in high school then and remember the band teacher at some local school was "outed" as gay, and he was forced to resign. It was in some rural area, I think, maybe between GR and Holland. It was definitely a different time.

I know there are a lot more and varied restaurants and stuff - so things to do. And your stories about the city itself are really helpful. My parents all live in burbs are don't talk to me about the city and its politics much at all. So that helps.

I blame Russia (in part) for Michigan going for Trump in 2016. I mean, I believe there was actual evidence found that they did something to at least try and affect Michigan, Wisconsin, and some other state - Ohio?

Anyway, thanks again! It's scary contemplating moving to a place I haven't lived full time since 1992, and have only lived in cities of 500,000+ since then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 04:02 PM

27,962 posts, read 66,316,098 times
I have a friend who bought a condo that was part of an old mansion downtown. It was near wealthy street and within walking distance to the Winchester. Their place was amazing. The big old mansion had been divided into four or five condos to make it economically feasible. I am not sure what my friend paid, but I know what he could afford at the time and there is no possibility the condo was over $200,000. Probably closer to $100,000. It was a stunningly beautiful historic place. Despite dividing the house into separate condos, most of the historic integrity was preserved. The small yard/garden was owned and maintained in common and stunningly beautiful.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful on location, but something like that might be a good option for you if you can find one.

Oh and not cats, but they are crazy bird people.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:22 PM

8,885 posts, read 17,869,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexy11 View Post
Thanks everyone!

Yes, I definitely know it's not as conservative as it was 30 years ago. I mean, I was in high school then and remember the band teacher at some local school was "outed" as gay, and he was forced to resign. It was in some rural area, I think, maybe between GR and Holland. It was definitely a different time.

I know there are a lot more and varied restaurants and stuff - so things to do. And your stories about the city itself are really helpful. My parents all live in burbs are don't talk to me about the city and its politics much at all. So that helps.

I blame Russia (in part) for Michigan going for Trump in 2016. I mean, I believe there was actual evidence found that they did something to at least try and affect Michigan, Wisconsin, and some other state - Ohio?

Anyway, thanks again! It's scary contemplating moving to a place I haven't lived full time since 1992, and have only lived in cities of 500,000+ since then!
Grand Rapids is about 1.2 Million metro-wide now. It's certainly not a small or even medium-sized town. GR city limits are 200,000 but Kent County alone is almost 700,000 now. Kent County includes the city of GR, city of Kentwood, city of Walker, city of Wyoming, city of East Grand Rapids, city of Grandville, city of Lowell, city of Rockford, city of Cedar Springs and a ton of townships and villages.

Then there are 4 or 5 counties in the metro area (I lose count). It's definitely the fastest growing area in Michigan and I believe one of the fastest growing in the Great Lakes region as well.

In other words, you wouldn't be moving to small-town-America.

Truth of the matter is that Hillary thought that Michigan was a shoe-in and it turned out to be a swing state. She didn't campaign anywhere outside of Detroit area which was her downfall here. Trump made multiple stops in West Michigan. He captured many of the disenfranchised UAW workers in West Michigan, who used to be die-hard Democrats.

Last edited by magellan; 03-27-2019 at 09:33 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 04:18 AM

4,213 posts, read 3,933,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Truth of the matter is that Hillary thought that Michigan was a shoe-in and it turned out to be a swing state. She didn't campaign anywhere outside of Detroit area which was her downfall here. Trump made multiple stops in West Michigan. He captured many of the disenfranchised UAW workers in West Michigan, who used to be die-hard Democrats.
The ironic thing is that it was the shift in the Detroit area counties that won Trump the Michigan electoral votes in 2016. Trump won Kent County by the slimmest margin a Republican has won in decades. Oakland and Macomb counties both shifted Red for the first time since 88. Trump won big in the labor vote, which is not a significant factor in W. Mich.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:19 AM

127 posts, read 136,726 times
Quote:
. . . Hillary thought that Michigan was a shoe-in and it turned out to be a swing state. She didn't campaign anywhere outside of Detroit area which was her downfall here.
Just a nit to pick and has nothing to do with the OP's question, Clinton did have a planned at the last minute campaign rally at Grand Valley the night before the election. I suspect her campaign finally realized she was in trouble in Michigan and thought it would help.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:12 AM

108 posts, read 50,212 times
First of all, I'm sorry, best of luck when winter comes around. Having grown up here, I'm sure you remember, but after 25 years... well I know I wouldn't be prepared.... That being said, GR is considerably nicer than it was 25 years ago. I'd suggest East Hills, Eastown, or Heritage Hill.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker46 View Post
Just a nit to pick and has nothing to do with the OP's question, Clinton did have a planned at the last minute campaign rally at Grand Valley the night before the election. I suspect her campaign finally realized she was in trouble in Michigan and thought it would help.
Hey! I went to that rally with my daughter. Wasn't able to get in due to the crowds. A little too little too late (Hillary that is).

Last edited by magellan; 03-29-2019 at 04:49 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 12:34 PM

31,191 posts, read 69,316,736 times
Quote:
A little too little too late (Hillary that is).
Same for PA.

Back on-topic, I'm grateful for this thread. It's made me curious about visiting Grand Rapids for a vacation.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Same for PA.

Back on-topic, I'm grateful for this thread. It's made me curious about visiting Grand Rapids for a vacation.
You should! A lot of people who visit here also include the lakeshore towns, beaches and dunes in their visits (Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon).

https://www.experiencegr.com/

Old 04-03-2019, 09:17 PM

6 posts, read 1,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Same for PA.

It is a cool city. Lived there for two years and liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area