Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2019, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 865 times

Advertisements

Hello im a single mother of 5 children 2,5,10,12,13
Im employed and full time and have been staying in a homeless shelter in grand rapids mi
My family have been searching for a home to rent but havent any luck ..i have the first months rent and security deposit but my credit isnt great but i do not have any prior evcition i have no problem paying my rent and will do so on time i just cant find any one willing to work with my family ...please if yu know of any landlords let me know im so afraid for the hoildays quickly approaching and my children have to go through all of this worrie and stress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 11:55 AM

792 posts, read 2,324,095 times
Are there any other single mothers at the shelter? Maybe you could pool your resources with another single mother who needs a place. If you could team up with another mom who has some sort of income, a landlord might be more willing to rent to you. The rule of thumb is the rent should be no more than 1/3 of your combined income (some landlords require 1/4, especially if your credit score is bad). The hard part is finding someone who does not have serious problems with mental health, drugs, or dangerous men in her life.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:13 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikinichole88 View Post
Hello im a single mother of 5 children 2,5,10,12,13
Im employed and full time and have been staying in a homeless shelter in grand rapids mi
My family have been searching for a home to rent but havent any luck ..i have the first months rent and security deposit but my credit isnt great but i do not have any prior evcition i have no problem paying my rent and will do so on time i just cant find any one willing to work with my family ...please if yu know of any landlords let me know im so afraid for the hoildays quickly approaching and my children have to go through all of this worrie and stress
You might try Well House:

https://www.wellhousegr.org/

Old 10-30-2019, 01:20 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,238,477 times
https://iccf.org/emergency-housing/

https://www.familypromisegr.org/

Old 10-30-2019, 04:13 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
Are there any other single mothers at the shelter? Maybe you could pool your resources with another single mother who needs a place. If you could team up with another mom who has some sort of income, a landlord might be more willing to rent to you. The rule of thumb is the rent should be no more than 1/3 of your combined income (some landlords require 1/4, especially if your credit score is bad). The hard part is finding someone who does not have serious problems with mental health, drugs, or dangerous men in her life.

Good idea! Ummm….1/4 is LESS than 1/3

Also, perhaps try Salvation Army, any social services at your present shelter, etc

TRY to apply to rent a home, don't automatically assume the worse. I would look for individual homes for rent, not a corporation or chain. You might find somewhere on Craig's List. Proceed with caution on CL, of course, but you seem like a sharp lady!

Keep looking!

Old 10-30-2019, 08:00 PM

792 posts, read 2,324,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Good idea! Ummm….1/4 is LESS than 1/3
Uh huh. Read it again carefully and think about it.

Maybe this would be clearer: some landlords require prospective tenants to earn at least 3x the rent. Some landlords require them to earn at least 4x the rent. (Mathematically, that's the same as what I said before.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
View detailed profiles of: