Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 12:03 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,597 times

Advertisements

My family wants to move to Michigan and after reading about Grand Rapids, I thought it was a good contender for our final destination (with the other being the Detroit suburbs).

I've been doing some research and I have a few questions about the area. I will also list budget, needs and what we are looking for in the area.

My husband works from home, but I work outside the home in accounting/admin type work - how is the job market in the area?

We have a child who is almost 3 so schools are a huge priority. What are the best schools in the area?

We would be renting at first and then want to buy. Our budget isn't extremely high - would love to stay under $1500 for rent (2br) and around 250k for housing. Less is always better as long as the schools are good and the neighborhood is safe. It would be nice to be within a reasonable distance of fun things to do with my child, but otherwise I'm not really too concerned with things like that. I would prefer suburban to urban areas - I don't need to live really close to the city. However, due to the winter weather, I don't want to live more than 20 miles outside of it. Is the traffic bad?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 09:07 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
My family wants to move to Michigan and after reading about Grand Rapids, I thought it was a good contender for our final destination (with the other being the Detroit suburbs).

I've been doing some research and I have a few questions about the area. I will also list budget, needs and what we are looking for in the area.

My husband works from home, but I work outside the home in accounting/admin type work - how is the job market in the area?

We have a child who is almost 3 so schools are a huge priority. What are the best schools in the area?

We would be renting at first and then want to buy. Our budget isn't extremely high - would love to stay under $1500 for rent (2br) and around 250k for housing. Less is always better as long as the schools are good and the neighborhood is safe. It would be nice to be within a reasonable distance of fun things to do with my child, but otherwise I'm not really too concerned with things like that. I would prefer suburban to urban areas - I don't need to live really close to the city. However, due to the winter weather, I don't want to live more than 20 miles outside of it. Is the traffic bad?

Thanks!
$250,000 range you're going to be pretty limited but you could try homes in the Kenowa Hills, Northview or Caledonia Schools areas. Maybe Hudsonville/Jenison and Allendale too.

Under $1500/month for a house in a good area is going to be your tough one.

The Grand Rapids metro area is so big now I wouldn't even begin to know where to narrow down specific neighborhoods. A lot of people start off by picking a quadrant (NE side, NW side, SE side, etc) and then go from there.

Job market is pretty good.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:17 AM

130 posts, read 186,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Under $1500/month for a house in a good area is going to be your tough one.
For a house maybe but if she's willing to start out in an apartment, you can live in a castle for $1500:

https://www.grandcastle.com/brochure.aspx

Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
For Kenowa Hills, that's the city of Walker and parts of Tallmadge Township and a few slivers of adjacent areas. It will never be a trendy area but it's safe and pleasant, has above average schools, and is an easier commute into downtown than a number of more popular areas.

Also possibly parts of Grandville might work for you.

Even today, I find the Hudsonville/Jension area a little insular. Allendale doesn't seem to have that same ethnic/denominational clanishness because a somewhat more diverse crowd lives there to be close to jobs at GVSU.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:22 AM

680 posts, read 533,834 times
Have you experienced a winter up there yet? Or visited?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:34 PM

130 posts, read 186,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Because if you haven't here is how magical it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBL5_Mf1xaw

then again some people just like to complain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZOJd3e3-Y

He has a flat relatively short driveway. I wouldn't even bother to use a snow blower for the snow he has. I'd use just a shovel and my driveway is long and wide and goes up a steep hill to the street and I'm an old man. I don't know what the deal is with plugging his vehicles in unless they're electrics. I've never had to do that in all my life even when my cars were outside all night and his spent the night in a garage. Likely he is just trying to scare people off and keep Michigan all to himself. And why not have keyless ignition if keys are such a big problem with him. Apparently he just likes to complain about anything. Likely he wouldn't like Alabama either.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:25 PM

680 posts, read 533,834 times
This last winter was awful. How could anyone want to continue to live in MI after experiencing that. -20, ice everywhere, snowing every other day. People falling, breaking bones, can’t feel your face, can’t turn the house door knob because it’s frozen shut, no mail delivery, no sunshine for 9 months, teeth jarring pot holes, constantly cold. Glad I left. 33 years born and raised in MI, I’m only going back to visit my parents, hopefully not during winter.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,597 times
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I am open to renting an apartment/townhouse/condo to begin with and I'm not opposed to a condo or townhouse when buying, especially if outside maintenance and snow removal are included.
In regards to the area... I am mainly looking for good schools, safety and proximity to jobs. Anything else is just a bonus. I will definitely be looking into all the suggestions here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker46 View Post
For a house maybe but if she's willing to start out in an apartment, you can live in a castle for $1500:

https://www.grandcastle.com/brochure.aspx
Very interesting looking exterior. Prices and interiors aren't bad either. We want our own place eventually but we'll have to rent until we can buy so I'm certainly open to apartments.

Quote:
Quote:
This last winter was awful. How could anyone want to continue to live in MI after experiencing that. -20, ice everywhere, snowing every other day. People falling, breaking bones, can’t feel your face, can’t turn the house door knob because it’s frozen shut, no mail delivery, no sunshine for 9 months, teeth jarring pot holes, constantly cold. Glad I left. 33 years born and raised in MI, I’m only going back to visit my parents, hopefully not during winter.
I lived in Illinois for a couple of years, so I am familiar with winter weather. I'm sure it's much worse in the Grand Rapids area due to the proximity to the Lake, but I'm okay with that. I can't deal with the near constant heat here. I'm a shut in from about April until late October because it's so hot and miserable. I also prefer cloudy weather and shorter days, so none of that would be a problem.

Are there any areas of the metro/suburbs that you would suggest staying away from?

Old 09-06-2019, 10:21 AM

495 posts, read 326,999 times
Quote:
Half the country got hit by the polar vortex last winter. Many states--including midwestern states, getting hit significantly worse than the lower peninsula of Michigan. (I won't say anything about the UP, because you might as well be in Canada up there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area