Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2019, 06:28 AM

137 posts, read 412,602 times

Advertisements

we currently live in Atlanta but will be moving to South Haven in the spring. my husband is 65 and has medicare, but I'm not and have marketplace insurance here. my question is, do I need to sign up for Michigan marketplace during open enrollment, or can I do it when we move ( likely March or April)? thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 03:07 AM

214 posts, read 673,583 times
You will need to get your insurance from the Michigan Marketplace.

You will not want to do it now because you will still live in Atlanta, so you'll need your Georgia insurance.

Luckily, there are a few events that will cause you to be eligible to purchase health insurance outside of the open enrollment period (which is going on now, 11/1 to 12/7), and moving to a new state is one of them. So you will be able to complete a new application for Michigan Marketplace insurance when you move.

Another way to get Marketplace coverage outside of the open enrollment period is if you lose your job, change jobs, or lose your existing insurance (such as becoming ineligible for Medicaid).

Michigan expanded their medicaid unlike a lot of the Southeastern states, so you may be eligible for Medicaid. If not, you may be eligible for advanced premium subsidies (which reduce the monthly cost of your insurance).

Anyway, good luck!

edit: had the wrong end date for open enrollment; it's 12/7 NOT 12/15!

Last edited by caspper69; 11-08-2019 at 04:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
View detailed profiles of: