U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2019, 08:58 PM

29 posts, read 56,934 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to buy a cabin. He wants woods and beauty, or possibly a lake home. Basically an escape within a two hour drive of Grand Rapids. Where are the best spots to look? We are not from there. Moving to GR and planning/exploring options/getting excited. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 10:24 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,295,749 times
Within 2 hours of GR, that leaves a lot of options.

You'll likely generally want to concentrate your search in a broad swath centered along the US-131, M-66, M-37 corridors up to about Traverse City / Kalkaska area.

Lots of small lakes, and places to find property in the areas around Newaygo, Canadian Lakes, Big Rapids, Baldwin, Evart, Cadillac.

The good news is that generally this area is a big more affordable as a whole the the more Gold Coast areas nearby Lake Michigan, and in the lake areas farther north between Traverse City & Mackinac.

Its a broad area and you'll want to look at a few factors:
- Property / acreage
- Lake access (eg., lakefront, lake access, all sports lake, etc)
- Proximity to town/amenities/grocery store/restaurants
- Seasonal vs. year-round cabin
- Other recreational opportunities - hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, state/national forest land

Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Within 2 hours of GR, that leaves a lot of options.

You'll likely generally want to concentrate your search in a broad swath centered along the US-131, M-66, M-37 corridors up to about Traverse City / Kalkaska area.

Lots of small lakes, and places to find property in the areas around Newaygo, Canadian Lakes, Big Rapids, Baldwin, Evart, Cadillac.

The good news is that generally this area is a big more affordable as a whole the the more Gold Coast areas nearby Lake Michigan, and in the lake areas farther north between Traverse City & Mackinac.

Its a broad area and you'll want to look at a few factors:
- Property / acreage
- Lake access (eg., lakefront, lake access, all sports lake, etc)
- Proximity to town/amenities/grocery store/restaurants
- Seasonal vs. year-round cabin
- Other recreational opportunities - hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, state/national forest land
Wow, thank you!
Do any of these areas have a fun/cute/cool town? I think year round cabin.
The rest, I’m not so sure. It will depend on the area! I’ll start digging into your suggestions. Thanks again!

Old 12-03-2019, 07:22 AM

57 posts, read 40,009 times
As with all things in Real Estate it purely depends on your budget. Acreage which is distant from towns or amenities is pretty cheap. Get closer to Ski areas, larger cities, beach towns and the price goes up.

You can find many wooded chunks of acreage close to Middleville and Hastings also. Hastings has a pretty neat downtown.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:53 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,295,749 times
I forgot about that area southeast of GR, like said in the area down along M-43 and Yankee Springs, lots of lakes down that way in a area of the state I know very little about. That is very close to the greater GR area and you wouldn't have to deal with the typical up north traffic headed up US-131.

Headed north, two of the bigger towns are Big Rapid - due in part to the University, and Cadillac.
The Cadillac region is very popular for the hunting and winter sports crowd, particularly snowmobiling, ice fishing, and skiing.

You'll definitely want to talk with a local realtor in your target areas as to help get all the information you need about the type of property, lake access/rules, lake/community associations, etc.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:12 PM

9,147 posts, read 17,789,495 times
While there are exceptions like the area by Yankee Springs, I tend to think of south of Grand Rapids as largely farm country, while going north of town you get more of a proper 'Up North' feel. One of my uncles has a lake access home in the Croton/Hardy Ponds (actually lakes formed by hydroelectric dams) area up by Newaygo and they're very happy there.

Cute & funky often involves getting closer to Traverse City and typically carries a bigger price tag.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:31 AM

Thanks everyone! If it were under $300k I’d be happy. I don’t need acreage. Just a cabiny get away feel.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:28 PM

29 posts, read 62,687 times
Try Oceana county,,,,Pentwater is cute,, lots of vacant property just east of there, cheap.....Lake County has lots of low priced land,,,,very low income area,,, only village is Baldwin,,,nice ice cream place,, not much else cute.......though the Sheriff is heck of a nice guy and very helpful

Old 06-02-2020, 06:18 PM

42 posts, read 22,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinPDX View Post
Thanks everyone! If it were under $300k I’d be happy. I don’t need acreage. Just a cabiny get away feel.
------------------------------------------------

$300K will buy a whole lot of rural type cabin property. I'm in the TC area, but I used to work
all over Northern Michigan, so I've seen a lot of the land North of US10. The Ludington area
is really nice, the inland areas have a woodsy/farmland type feel, the Pere Marquette is a great
fishing river if you're into that. The inland areas near M55 in the Wexford/Manistee/Lake county
areas are much more wooded. There are a lot of nice but small lakes in the Irons area, the Manistte river is close by, but it is remote, probably 30-40 minutes to Manistee or Cadillac in good driving weather. Personally, Iwould never live there, it is way too rural for me, but if you want that type of property, then youcould get a really nice property for $300K. One thing to watch out for is, who will buy your
$300k remote property if you ever decide you want out ? The pay scale for the year round
residents will never allow them to purchase it. A coworker of mine spent about $400k on his
house and property near Harrietta, and he wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of selling it
for what he's got into it. Just something to keep in mind.

In the outlying areas in Benzie and Grand Traverse Counties, you can get a nice rural
place for $300k. Crystal Mountain is a happening area year round. $300k would get you a

nice place near Interlochen in GT county. I'm not talking any kind of lakefront, but a nice
home/cabin that you would be comfortable in year round. I personally would not move
into the smaller, more rural ( and poorer ) areas, I would look to be near Crystal Mountain
or Interlochen, but your tastes are probably different. This area is relatively close
to Leelanau county and Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore. The Betsie and Platte rivers are close
by, as are some of the nicest lakes in the state. Also close to Frankfort, which is one of my
favorite little road trips in the area. ( but Frankfort gets really quiet in the winter ).

Old 06-02-2020, 08:28 PM

581 posts, read 1,154,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_in_Mi View Post

I personally would not move into the smaller, more rural ( and poorer ) areas,
I would look to be near Crystal Mountain or Interlochen, but your tastes are probably different. This area is relatively close to Leelanau county and Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore. The Betsie and Platte rivers are close by, as are some of the nicest lakes in the state. Also close to Frankfort, which is one of my favorite little road trips in the area. ( but Frankfort gets really quiet in the winter ).
Joe, could you kindly explain why, and name some of these areas/towns to avoid? I too envision "a cabin in the woods" for year round living in retirement, with lots of fishing and target shooting, but wish to spend a lot less than $300k... Your input would be helpful. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area