Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 01:45 PM

11 posts, read 31,809 times

Advertisements

Hi! Sorry for yet another "moving to GR thread" but we would really appreciate some input on areas in the greater metro (or beyond) that might fit us. We're moving to the area in 2 months.

About us: we're a married couple in our mid-30s, no kids, liberal, atheist. I'm originally from the UP (so weather isn't a concern), and my husband is from the deep south, and we both miss Michigan desperately. We work remotely (tech industry) so we're open to living up to an hour away from the city. We're friendly but like peace and quiet at home.

-Politics aren't the top of our concerns, I'm aware w. mi is more conservative. Of course it'd be a nice bonus, but ultimately we just want to be in a blue, legal state again.

-We want to buy a house with a little land (0.5 acres at least?) for under 300k in a very clean, safe area. We really want some privacy away from direct neighbors and space to do things outside.

-A good medical facility in the area. Something smaller that feeds into one of the major GR hospitals would be fine.

-Good internet and delivery services (groceries, restaurants), so nothing too rural.

-Long-shot in our budget but something near some body of water would be the absolute dream. Maybe there's an affordable lake/pond community I don't know about? Like I said long-shot, lol.

I've been looking at Grand Haven, Holland, and Rockford, but I'm not really sure if those are a good fit for us or not.

We're probably going to live in downtown GR for a few months while we explore the area and house-hunt. Thanks for any help with this!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 09:31 AM

63 posts, read 78,570 times
There are a few smaller lakes or large ponds through out the Grandville and Jenison/Hudsonville area that could be purchased for around $300k. Grandville would be pretty close to a medical area and much shopping also.

Grand haven is a wonderful area. Very popular with Tourists in the Summer with many festivals and events. Plus there is the waterfront beach area that is one of the best around as far as I am concerned. Prices in the City are close to your budget though. But it would be a cool area to live in.

Rockford has many lakes. Many which are private with little to no access to a non waterfront owner. Still you could find a smaller home in that area with the lot size close to $300k but it won't be too close to a large medical facility.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandRapidsNative View Post
There are a few smaller lakes or large ponds through out the Grandville and Jenison/Hudsonville area that could be purchased for around $300k. Grandville would be pretty close to a medical area and much shopping also.

Grand haven is a wonderful area. Very popular with Tourists in the Summer with many festivals and events. Plus there is the waterfront beach area that is one of the best around as far as I am concerned. Prices in the City are close to your budget though. But it would be a cool area to live in.

Rockford has many lakes. Many which are private with little to no access to a non waterfront owner. Still you could find a smaller home in that area with the lot size close to $300k but it won't be too close to a large medical facility.

Thank you SO much. I keep seeing Jenison/Hudsonville popup in my searches so you've confirmed the general area I've been looking at, and Grand Haven does look like it'd be a perfect fit. I'm going to check out Grandville more too.

Really appreciate the input!!

Old 07-26-2020, 07:49 AM

495 posts, read 327,454 times
Grand Haven is crawling with cops. Certain things might be legal in Michigan, but you may still run into some trouble with "legal stuff" in a place like GH. I would not move to Hudsonville as an atheist. They just seem to be exceptionally churchy in that area. Ottawa county as a whole seems to be extra-churchy. It also tends to be less affordable that my county (Muskegon). There have been places in Norton Shores >0.5 acres for $300k, but inventory is so low right now, I don't think that's currently the case. Fruitport probably has some, as well as North of Muskegon. You'd be likely stuck with Comcast for internet in these areas. The city of Holland does offer broadband internet, but only to businesses (for now). I do not know their coverage area--maybe not to a place that is out far enough to afford > 0.5 acres for your price limit. I think the other options for internet in the area are Comcast and Charter. I guess check their service addresses to make sure you can get something decent. My coworker lives somewhere south end of Holland, and just recently was able to get Comcast, as they finally brought service down her road (close to Lake Michigan). Before that, she was SOL with crappy options. Even Comcast (lowest tier service) seems to not work great when my DH and I are both working from home, and then you add the kids trying to watch Netflix at the same time.
My handiman lives somewhere in the Saugutuck school district, but I'm not sure exactly where. He says that he's got really cheap, lightning fast internet from some federal program for rural areas. I do not know how affordable the area is, though, and Saugutuck is really artsy but small.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:05 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Jenison/Hudsonville remains one of the most conservative and churchy parts of the region. How much wiggle room on the restaurant delivery point? Sparta is Rockford-adjacent and kind of flies under the radar. If you're okay with former farmland rather than 'up north' with lots of trees, parts of Walker, Comstock Park and Tallmadge Township have some good-sized lots, you aren't going to pay a trendy location surcharge, and there's a lot of newer commercial/restaurant development of the Standale side of Walker geared toward GVSU students commuting into Allendale.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:34 AM

Thank you so much guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Jenison/Hudsonville remains one of the most conservative and churchy parts of the region. How much wiggle room on the restaurant delivery point? Sparta is Rockford-adjacent and kind of flies under the radar. If you're okay with former farmland rather than 'up north' with lots of trees, parts of Walker, Comstock Park and Tallmadge Township have some good-sized lots, you aren't going to pay a trendy location surcharge, and there's a lot of newer commercial/restaurant development of the Standale side of Walker geared toward GVSU students commuting into Allendale.

Great ideas I hadn't considered, there's definitely some promising stuff in these areas.

We'd actually be open to living in GR itself, I do see some properties with enough of a wooded yard and space between neighbors that it feels like more space than it really is. I see a lot of good prices (some even well under even $250k) but I can't tell if those are sketchy neighborhoods. The reason I'm looking at GR proper now is because it seems a lot that we want might be at odds with more rural living. I think our big thing is just not being 10 feet from a neighbor lol.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:55 AM

The part of the West Side of GR west of Covell Road has long been one of the safest parts of Kent County and has some larger lot subdivisions. My parents have about an acre on a creek just inside the city limits.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:31 PM

32 posts, read 80,624 times
Stay away from Oceana County,,,,Very safe, good medical care, good restaurants of all types,, beautiful lakes and streams, with ver low priced land, in medium to large sizes.

Having said all that, Very Conservative and 96% Republican

A local joke,,,every election there was all Republican votes except one Democrat. All assumed it was a local curmudgeon who fussed about everything,,,,finally he passed on,, next election, there was still that one Democrat vote. Someone commented...”Darn, we buried the wrong guy.”

Old 07-30-2020, 12:24 PM

Hahaha thank you so much Ken! Love it.

Another random question for anyone reading: do any west MI counties have particularly good water? I was spoiled growing up on UP water, and now I'm in a state where the water is so bad we have to buy it bottled. Would be nice to live somewhere with halfway decent water again!

Old 07-30-2020, 12:33 PM

A lot of metro GR gets its water from Lake Michigan and I think they don't have to add as much chlorine as they used to because the rivers that flow into it are cleaner now. One thing to be careful about in the Rockford area is homes on wells and PFAS contamination. In that area, you definitely want municipal water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area