Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:22 PM

109 posts, read 205,445 times

Advertisements

^ You will always be able to find a little roughness where ever you ago. My favorite city apart from home is Cincinnati, and with it's age boast many old and often abandoned building stock, with the diversity 50/50 black and white. Some times appearance does not tell the real story. I kinda enjoy looking at some old stock, if you will. In Grand Rapids, and many other cities, these neighborhoods are fast becoming great and desired areas to live. In fact, although some of S. Division has been redone, it is the only commercial st. in that blockage that has yet to have some major redevelopment success. (that is, in the Heartside district, just south of the central business district )

Flint does have a nice downtown compared to what many perceive, even without the modern sky rises. They also do have a nice riverwalk area. Downtown Flint has come quite a ways since I remember it being 15 years ago. Unfortunately, much of Flint still struggles greatly.

It sounds like you did good on your trip. You did go to the most popular brewing company in town and in my own opinion, the best museum. Grand Rapids never did have much of a depot that I ever found in my research. Nothing like the once majestic Saginaw or Detroit one. In fact, almost all decent size Michigan cities out did GR much in depot terms. However, we did use to have a very impressive city hall building, and the story behind that is both disturbing and rewarding.

Sorry about your timing up north. That would of been beautiful I am sure. The island it's self is a real treat minus no place to be on a rainy day. LOL

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. If we can ever be of any help in the future please let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 03:47 PM

493 posts, read 1,446,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakkelsey View Post
Flint does have a nice downtown compared to what many perceive, even without the modern sky rises. They also do have a nice riverwalk area. Downtown Flint has come quite a ways since I remember it being 15 years ago. Unfortunately, much of Flint still struggles greatly.
A number of restaurants have opened in downtown Flint over the past few years. We had a nice lunch with the in-laws at Blackstone's, which for many years was a prominent mens' clothing store.

The UM-Flint campus is definitely a worthy addition to the downtown area. The former Hyatt Hotel is now a residence hall for the university students. The once-stately Durant Hotel has been renovated and repurposed as nice apartments. The Berridge Hotel, which was pretty much a flophouse in the 50s and 60s, is now condos, although it still looks like a flophouse from the outside.

Flint seems to be re-inventing itself in the areas of education: UM-Flint, Mott Community College, Baker College and Kettering University. Another major industry is healthcare. The former St. Joseph Hospital was torn down to make way for a new Genesys Hospital. McLaren Hospital has expanded and it looks like the former Flint Osteopathic Hospital is now another Genesys facility.
Of course, Hurley Hospital still remains, along with its school of nursing.

Quote:
It sounds like you did good on your trip. You did go to the most popular brewing company in town and in my own opinion, the best museum. Grand Rapids never did have much of a depot that I ever found in my research. Nothing like the once majestic Saginaw or Detroit one. In fact, almost all decent size Michigan cities out did GR much in depot terms. However, we did use to have a very impressive city hall building, and the story behind that is both disturbing and rewarding.

Sorry about your timing up north. That would of been beautiful I am sure. The island it's self is a real treat minus no place to be on a rainy day. LOL

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. If we can ever be of any help in the future please let us know.
We enjoyed both the brewery and the museum, as well as the riverfront downtown.

I can't seem to find out a lot about the former Union Station. A new passenger station was built in 1996 and serves Amtrak. No idea when the original Union Station was demolished.

It was cold and windy in Mackinaw City, and really nothing to do there, so I'm happy that we spent the extra time in GR. I'm not big on Mackinac Island - too touristy.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:32 PM

109 posts, read 205,445 times
http://http://www.michiganrailroads....Station%29.htm

This is a few good visual implantation s of the old GR station. Not too shabby.
A new Amtrak station connecting to the present transit center (which houses city busing and Greyhound) is currently being built.

I hear ya about the island. I actually prefer the locks region an hour north.

Great to hear about the new developments in Flint. Hopefully in time it will look like almost a whole new city.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
A number of restaurants have opened in downtown Flint over the past few years. We had a nice lunch with the in-laws at Blackstone's, which for many years was a prominent mens' clothing store.

The UM-Flint campus is definitely a worthy addition to the downtown area. The former Hyatt Hotel is now a residence hall for the university students. The once-stately Durant Hotel has been renovated and repurposed as nice apartments. The Berridge Hotel, which was pretty much a flophouse in the 50s and 60s, is now condos, although it still looks like a flophouse from the outside.

Flint seems to be re-inventing itself in the areas of education: UM-Flint, Mott Community College, Baker College and Kettering University. Another major industry is healthcare. The former St. Joseph Hospital was torn down to make way for a new Genesys Hospital. McLaren Hospital has expanded and it looks like the former Flint Osteopathic Hospital is now another Genesys facility.
Of course, Hurley Hospital still remains, along with its school of nursing.

We enjoyed both the brewery and the museum, as well as the riverfront downtown.

I can't seem to find out a lot about the former Union Station. A new passenger station was built in 1996 and serves Amtrak. No idea when the original Union Station was demolished.

It was cold and windy in Mackinaw City, and really nothing to do there, so I'm happy that we spent the extra time in GR. I'm not big on Mackinac Island - too touristy.
From what I understand, the old Union Station and the rail yard West of Ionia was torn out when the US-131 S Curve was put in.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
From what I understand, the old Union Station and the rail yard West of Ionia was torn out when the US-131 S Curve was put in.
Do you recall what year that was? Obviously it was prior to 1996, when the new Amtrak station was built.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
Do you recall what year that was? Obviously it was prior to 1996, when the new Amtrak station was built.
Oh for sure. This site says it was in 1961:

Taking the Train | History Grand Rapids

This picture from the 1950's, 1960's still shows the train shed and the station intact (not the area circled in red, but in the lower left area).

http://static.flickr.com/88/237049298_89de4f5089_o.jpg

Old 08-13-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Oh for sure. This site says it was in 1961:

Taking the Train | History Grand Rapids

This picture from the 1950's, 1960's still shows the train shed and the station intact (not the area circled in red, but in the lower left area).

http://static.flickr.com/88/237049298_89de4f5089_o.jpg
Thank you! Most of the photos that I've seen of the station are from the steam era, but since the station was demolished in 1961 that makes sense.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:09 PM

82 posts, read 138,467 times
I remember reading somewhere that after the train shed was taken down, half of it was re-erected at a lumberyard and used to store wood. It caught fire and burned down. The remaining half of the shed is laying in pieces "in storage".

Edit: Here,this page. VKW Hardwoods was using half the re-erected train shed to store wood, but it caught fire and burned in 2004. The other half of the disassembled shed is now owned by local developer Bob Grooters, which he purchased in 2001, and plans to use in a "future" project.

Last edited by Gorath; 08-14-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
I remember reading somewhere that after the train shed was taken down, half of it was re-erected at a lumberyard and used to store wood. It caught fire and burned down. The remaining half of the shed is laying in pieces "in storage".

Edit: Here,this page. VKW Hardwoods was using half the re-erected train shed to store wood, but it caught fire and burned in 2004. The other half of the disassembled shed is now owned by local developer Bob Grooters, which he purchased in 2001, and plans to use in a "future" project.
Wow, the quality of this picture is fantastic for that time period. You can even make out the patterns from the lawn mower in the grass.

http://godwin.bobanna.com/grand_rapi...ot_c1905_1.jpg

Old 11-04-2013, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,571 times
I lived in northwest and southeast, which are the worst. They got small street gangs but are really ruthless. They are also strands of two of the biggest gangs n the world in G.R right now. I have friends in gangs and I'm affiliated with plenty. Northeast is your safest area, and southwest has some crime too, but it's less dangerous crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area