Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,814 times

Advertisements

I live SE Side, Madison and Burton area in Garfield park. My house is South of Burton and have had no problems. Lots of beautiful homes built in the 20s and many folks have lived there for over 15 years and more. I just moved there and the previous owners lived there since the 50's. So not ALL of the SE side is bad. SE side encompasses Garfield Park, Alger Heights, BUrton Heights etc. Yes, there are some bad areas that I would stay away from, but I am part of the Garfield Park Association and there are programs that are set in place to increase property values and with that decreases the crime rate.. By the way, city property values are going up, the people that were once there are moving to outer edges of the city - into suburbs,, as yupppies and businesses are moving into GR. Keep that in mind.. I'm glad I bought my house where it is, the value has already shot up.

In any city, there is going to be crime - even in the suburbs, where there are huge drug rings... it goes unnoticed because no one thinks to look to the suburbs. But it's right in your back yard.

Last edited by garfield park user; 05-09-2014 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: null
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,969,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield park user View Post
I live SE Side, Madison and Burton area in Garfield park. My house is South of Burton and have had no problems.
Great, now if you have/had children what private school would you be sending them to?

Here's a report of crime in your area for the past month, ignoring S Division.

http://www.crimemapping.com/Detailed...0902.945392176

Old 05-15-2014, 04:49 PM

235 posts, read 533,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Great, now if you have/had children what private school would you be sending them to?

Here's a report of crime in your area for the past month, ignoring S Division.

Crime report for 4/1/2014 - 5/8/2014
It has been my experience that if you do your research on the public and charter schools there are good options, other than private or moving to Forest Hills or EGR.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:14 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,771,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeconcentrate View Post
It has been my experience that if you do your research on the public and charter schools there are good options, other than private or moving to Forest Hills or EGR.
Actually the performance of the inner city charter schools has been about the same as GRPS. Some of them also get into what I would consider "faith based" teaching even though they aren't supposed to.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Actually the performance of the inner city charter schools has been about the same as GRPS. Some of them also get into what I would consider "faith based" teaching even though they aren't supposed to.
That has not been my experience. ie: Knapp Charter, Vanguard, and various programs within GRPS.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:07 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,969,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeconcentrate View Post
That has not been my experience. ie: Knapp Charter, Vanguard, and various programs within GRPS.
None of which mentioned are any where near to Garfield Park.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:47 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,193,615 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
ranked by Metro GR at 25th

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 02:57 PM

27 posts, read 42,596 times
I'm a grad student starting at WMU Grand rapids downtown on Ionia.

Where should I buy or rent a condo/apartment. I want to be somewhere safe, and if I buy I want to be able to resell it without a problem.

Downtown? Suburbs? Rockford MI? I have no idea what suburbs are the best suburbs. East Grand Rapids?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,895,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwuguy23 View Post
I'm a grad student starting at WMU Grand rapids downtown on Ionia.

Where should I buy or rent a condo/apartment. I want to be somewhere safe, and if I buy I want to be able to resell it without a problem.

Downtown? Suburbs? Rockford MI? I have no idea what suburbs are the best suburbs. East Grand Rapids?
IMO just about anyplace except the inner city. Crime stats are easily available.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
None of which mentioned are any where near to Garfield Park.
Who said you have to live near where you choose to send your kid to school? My point is that there are options besides those that people on this forum insist are it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area