Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:17 PM

31 posts, read 157,187 times

Advertisements

So, the short backstory to my question is this. In 2004 I left GR for Chicago. A year later I came back crashed with my parents in a small town between here and Lansing. Started seeing a woman here in GR. Eventually we moved in together, never really met people to hang out with. Just kind of became domesticated and became a homebody. Now, I'm a single again an don't really have any friends or know many people outside of work. Does anybody know of clubs, activities, groups that I could meet new people in? Or a website for GR that has that information? Craigslist pretty much sucks here for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 08:28 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
What kind of people are you interested in meeting and how old are you?

Old 05-17-2008, 08:34 PM

I'm 25. I'm trying to look for all sorts of people. Especially people who know more people. I'm into all sorts of things, I like art and photography, but I don't know if I'd fit it in with the hipster crowds.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:44 PM

I have a few friends who choose to go to clubs like the crush and margarita grill.. but the people aren't really my cup of tea. The people who go there tend to be the "I drink so much! Drinking is life!" Type of crowd. If that is you, you will undoubtfully meet tons of people.

A nice little place to check out is called "The bitter end coffeehouse". It is down fulton street by Franks Meat market a couple minutes past the dairy queen if you are heading towards downtown. I went there to study quite often and always met different people there. I always go at night, the guy who works there is an older black guy who is really cool.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 PM

How late are they open? I'm bored out of my mind tonight. Lot of friendly people in there or will I end up sitting alone?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:22 PM

they are 24/7 when i go the people are generally friendly. Some nights better than others. I'd check it out if I were you.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:50 PM

78 posts, read 348,249 times
Why don't you try Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups! - Meetup.com?

Old 05-18-2008, 12:32 AM

178 posts, read 701,610 times
Unfortunately, I don't think you're gonna have a whole lot of luck "meeting" people in GR.

The problem is that Grand Rapids, unlike Chicago, is split up all over the place. When I say this I mean that when you go somewhere and people are wherever you're at...you have a few minutes to make your move / first impression / break the ice /etc. before they disappear completely and drive back home.

Grand Rapids is very much a college and church town in that if you aren't a college student or you don't go to church, the odds of you actually befriending a good handful of people are slim to none. I went to school nearby Grand Rapids and in the four years since I graduated, I'd say out of 15 or people I knew and talked to quite often who were in the GR area I only keep in contact with 2 or 3 now...how's that for depressing? ...and on the off chance you DO find people in GR to hang out with, don't be shocked if the people our age (mid twenties) are only obsessed with drinking.

My point is this: No matter where you are, meeting new people is going to be tough. College is pretty much your best chance in life to meet a lot of like-minded people...the only downside is that once people leave college, they move away and/or start their own lives. However, Chicago and other urban environments where tons of people must travel on foot or share mass transit gives people many more opportunities to communicate face-to-face. I'm not a big fan of Chicago overall...but when it comes to meeting people - that place can't be beat because there are always tons of people around everyday.

If you are really dead-set on meeting people I suggest 3 fairly simple options:
1) Join a church, attend weekly services and participate in church groups (& hope you can build up a group of people to hang out with there)
2) Start taking college classes again somewhere, if you want to hang around kids who are close to your age but aren't necessarily teeny boppers
3) Move to another place in the country where trying to find a date/meet people is a lot easier (typically cities like Chicago, New York and San Francisco)

OR

Hone your impromptu, fast-paced ice-breaker conversations to near perfection and chat up people in Targets, Meijers, Grocery Stores, etc....your results won't be great (expect to fail...a lot) but if you don't want to do any of the 3 options above, this is your only alternative.

Those "Meetup" groups are alright to check out (I've went to a couple in my time [while I lived in Chicago] but they were sorta strange...not...too fun really. Maybe your experience would be different.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 8,171 times
I know this was written a while ago, but I am in the same boat you are (or were) in right now. I had never been to Grand Rapids, and now I have accepted a job here, and moved to town very shortly ago. I also am not sure what to do or where to go to meet new people, and it's been tough. I only work with a few co-workers, and they're mostly married/older than I am, etc. I had been hoping to meet some people that way, but apparently I can't really count on that.

So I'm having the same dilemma you are. I honestly don't know if anything has worked out for you yet, but if it has, let me in on the secret. lol.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:42 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smseaman View Post
I know this was written a while ago, but I am in the same boat you are (or were) in right now. I had never been to Grand Rapids, and now I have accepted a job here, and moved to town very shortly ago. I also am not sure what to do or where to go to meet new people, and it's been tough. I only work with a few co-workers, and they're mostly married/older than I am, etc. I had been hoping to meet some people that way, but apparently I can't really count on that.

So I'm having the same dilemma you are. I honestly don't know if anything has worked out for you yet, but if it has, let me in on the secret. lol.
That's such a broad question. What do you like to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area