Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times

Advertisements

The Southeast becomes perfectly fine once you start hitting the more suburban-looking areas further from dowtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,251 times
The issue you're running into in G.R. is that the term "SE" means anything south east of the corner of Division and Fulton. The "Southeast Side" or just "SE" includes everything from the poorest areas of town (Heartside neighborhood) to the nicest urban neighborhoods in the city (Ottawa Hills, Heritage Hill) to the up-and-coming neighborhoods of Midtown (East Hills as the center of this redevelopment effort right now).

People who don't live in the city rightly see the "SE" tag thrown on shootings, beatings, etc. when they show up on the news, but don't realize that it's a region that encompasses 50% of the city's population and the entire broad spectrum of people that comes with such a wide swath of the city.

Put differently, I believe your best options for living, and your worst are probably both in the SE side of Grand Rapids. You're not going to be able to narrow it down by picking a quadrant (SW is similar in its diversity of neighborhoods).

Old 03-23-2011, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,922 times
My girlfriend is looking into apartments downtown, in the Fulton & Fuller area. However, I'm not very familiar with much of GR West of GR.

What are your thoughts on the safety of this area?

She would be living with just one other girl, so I get to be the paranoid boyfriend =]

Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky89 View Post
My girlfriend is looking into apartments downtown, in the Fulton & Fuller area. However, I'm not very familiar with much of GR West of GR.

What are your thoughts on the safety of this area?

She would be living with just one other girl, so I get to be the paranoid boyfriend =]

That area is pretty much fine. There are some lower income people in the area but also a lot of college students. My girlfriend lived in between Lake and Fulton, on Fuller, 300 something fuller. Nothing ever happened.

Keep in mind that it's sort of a "mixed" neighborhood, college students, young families and even a few crack heads. You might see some weird people here and there but it's a safe area.

Actually, you said "west of GR"? Technically Fulton and Fuller is east of downtown, just want to make sure we are thinking of the same place.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,922 times
Thanks for the info! That sounds about like what I expected. I have some friends who live south of there, and it seems to change from block to block.

I meant that I'm not familiar with much East of Division...I guess I shouldn't post 1st thing in the morning =]

Old 03-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky89 View Post
Thanks for the info! That sounds about like what I expected. I have some friends who live south of there, and it seems to change from block to block.

I meant that I'm not familiar with much East of Division...I guess I shouldn't post 1st thing in the morning =]
It does vary block to block but it's still all fine around that for the most part. Is their apartment going to be north or south of fulton?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 10,603 times
I've never been afraid to drive ANYWHERE through Grand Rapids (and I'm an early twenties female). My school was right in downtown Grand Rapids and I've always felt safe walking around.

Even at night, I've walked around the Cherry St./Division Ave. area. Maybe not all alone, but me and one other girl. There are usually people out and about because they have a lot of night life now down town. There is a club specifically for young teens right across the street from the homeless shelter. Never ever any problems. In fact, I've heard many kids from the college, and ones hanging out on the street, say that the homeless people are very nice and polite and they're actually very interesting to talk to.

They've done a lot of great things to the city, especially within the past 5-10 years. I'd actually recommend coming here. If I didn't have to move away for a job, I'd probably settle right in the heart of GR.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,030 times
I hate to start off posting here by resurrecting an old thread, but I have a couple questions, and this group seems very informed and helpful.

Im getting ready to seperate from Active Duty, been in the Army, bouncing around the country (world, actually) the last couple years. My wife and I are planning on moving to GR. We lived in South Haven for years prior to me entering the service, and know the area, but not that well.

In trying to make the best deciscion, Ive run into some questions. We are interested in the SE side of town. Near Burton and Eastern. Is this a paticularly bad area, being that its a 'major' intersection? Ive read that "The SE side is something to avoid", but also that the far SE side is completely fine. Is this area considered far SE side? Ive heard from friends in the area that its pretty easy, but Im not sure if thats by thier standards. I grew up in Chicago, we lived in a pretty sketchy part of a bigger city in South Korea, and we currently live in Tacoma WA.

What were looking for is a quiet neighborhood, where I wont be nervous to let my wife walk around by herself.

Just lookin for any insight. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:54 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times
You're generally ok south and east of that intersection. That's the Alger Heights area and considered one of the safer areas. Mostly younger residents who've purchased their first house.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson561 View Post
I hate to start off posting here by resurrecting an old thread, but I have a couple questions, and this group seems very informed and helpful.

Im getting ready to seperate from Active Duty, been in the Army, bouncing around the country (world, actually) the last couple years. My wife and I are planning on moving to GR. We lived in South Haven for years prior to me entering the service, and know the area, but not that well.

In trying to make the best deciscion, Ive run into some questions. We are interested in the SE side of town. Near Burton and Eastern. Is this a paticularly bad area, being that its a 'major' intersection? Ive read that "The SE side is something to avoid", but also that the far SE side is completely fine. Is this area considered far SE side? Ive heard from friends in the area that its pretty easy, but Im not sure if thats by thier standards. I grew up in Chicago, we lived in a pretty sketchy part of a bigger city in South Korea, and we currently live in Tacoma WA.

What were looking for is a quiet neighborhood, where I wont be nervous to let my wife walk around by herself.

Just lookin for any insight. Thanks in advance for any help.
As mentioned above it's generally fine being SE of there. When you get up north to Hall and Eastern it's a bit weird, same with west of there. Burton and Division, etc are pretty sketchy.

That whole area is hit and miss. There are some pockets of perfectly fine neighborhoods like Alger Heights. Then if you drive a mile or two it's sort of bad. Where did you grow up in Chicago? I'm from there and living there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area