U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,937 times

Advertisements

I'd like recommendations on auto insurance companies in the Grand Rapids area. I think I'm pay more than I need, and I'd like to do some shopping around. Looking for recommendations of auto insurance with good rates and good service. Thanks.

Robin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 02:40 PM

112 posts, read 269,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_ala View Post
I'd like recommendations on auto insurance companies in the Grand Rapids area. I think I'm pay more than I need, and I'd like to do some shopping around. Looking for recommendations of auto insurance with good rates and good service. Thanks.

Robin
Odds are that your best bet is contacting an Independent Insurance Agent. They have access to many different insurance companies and can shop for the best rate for you.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:21 PM

222 posts, read 638,327 times
consider esurance, like most MI firms they credit score

Old 11-13-2008, 09:05 PM

thanks for the messages. Robin.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:22 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,954,843 times
Check into any of the agents that carry Frankenmuth Insurance. Very good company and very good rates. And No. Michigan does NOT use credit scores to base car insurance rates. Court OKs ban on pricing insurance based on credit score

Old 11-13-2008, 11:57 PM

188 posts, read 560,806 times
We had Frankenmuth in the past. Our rates just kept going up and up and up. When we'd call and ask why, they'd give us a run around about how something happened here or there and this is how they made up for it. We've had esurance the past 3 years. Rates have never gone up, only down in incriments of $5-$15 every 6 months. Excellent phone support and cheap roadside assistance that I've never had to wait anymore than 1/2hour for. Highly recommend checking them out. The locals, although LOCAL, have never been much help to me when it came to moving payment dates, complaints, premium increases, etc... Nothing but a pain the butt.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 AM

16,409 posts, read 27,051,542 times
I go through Andy Bylsma at Steenland insurance which is located on 3-mile. I have more tickets and accidents than you can imagine and I still get a good rate, through him I was paying over 1000 dollars a year cheaper than the next cheapest quote I got. (I'm a student in Miami and still insured in Michigan)

Old 11-18-2008, 05:18 PM

222 posts, read 638,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Check into any of the agents that carry Frankenmuth Insurance. Very good company and very good rates. And No. Michigan does NOT use credit scores to base car insurance rates. Court OKs ban on pricing insurance based on credit score
Big peeve of mine is people who post links but do not read them. Per the article which was linked the insurance companies may continue to use credit scoring until the appeals process is complete. No time line for the appeals process is in the article.

In short Michigan insurance companies may credit score until further notice.

So do shop arround and be aware of the credit scoring game.

Last edited by Toymeister; 11-18-2008 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: citation

Old 11-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Thanks to all for their comments. I'm the one who posted the original question. After looking around, getting various quotes, etc., we have remained with our original Insurance business. They're an independent with several companies. When we told them we were looking around for quotes, they got into the game too, and came up with rates that are considerably lower than our original costs. They've also started employing someone who, when anyone's rates increase more than 10%, they start evaluating the insurance needs with other companies. Wished they had been doing that for us originally. But, with auto and homeowners combined, we're feeling better about the amount we're paying.

Robin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area