U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 AM

15 posts, read 35,194 times

Advertisements

Greetings!
Are there any significant differences between elementary schools in East Grand Rapids and Forest Hills? I think there are only 3 schools in EGR---Are they fairly similar to each other or is one preferred over the others? If so, why? Same for the FH district? We are considering a move to either one of those areas and would like to know as much as we can. I ask because I know there are big differences in our current area, yet it is hard to get that information unless you actually live here. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 AM

845 posts, read 3,019,907 times
Check SchoolMatters - Home (http://www.schoolmatters.com/ - broken link)
My opinion is that within EGR, the schools are roughly equivalent (and excellent).
I think Wealthy Elementary technically has the highest test scores, but it's really truly not a "better" school... My kids will go to Lakeside. I have friends with kids at Breton Downs right now.
Everyone I know is extremely satisfied with all 3 schools.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Default EGR/FH elementary schools?

Thanks for the reply, Suydam. It sounds like we can't go wrong with buying/renting a house in EGR. I know the taxes are higher, but it seems like you get a lot for them.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:44 PM

845 posts, read 3,019,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW12 View Post
Thanks for the reply, Suydam. It sounds like we can't go wrong with buying/renting a house in EGR. I know the taxes are higher, but it seems like you get a lot for them.
We love it here... but we live here, so we're biased.
I'm sure you'd like Forest Hills as well... we have many friends there.
I think it's more about what kind of neighborhood you want.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,756,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
We love it here... but we live here, so we're biased.
I'm sure you'd like Forest Hills as well... we have many friends there.
I think it's more about what kind of neighborhood you want.
I agree with suydam. The schools will probably meet or exceed your expectations. The neighborhoods are all very different though.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:33 AM

We are looking for a family friendly area--one where neighbors are open to new people moving in and welcome new friends. We enjoy outside activities and are used to having block parties and several children running around from yard to yard to play. We are not interested in status or who does what for a living, just neighborhoods that are willing to accept new members.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 AM

808 posts, read 2,972,739 times
You can't go wrong with EGR or FH schools. You will get more house for the money in FH. It all depends what you want...if you want to walk to shops, live in EGR near Gas Light Village. If you prefer more rural setting with bike paths and open space, live in FH.

I live in FH but have friends in EGR.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the reply mich2fla--sounds like both are great. Can you comment on how the schools handle children who are not a part of the top 20%? I know the schools are excellent, but are the students who are not as "gifted" feel their needs are met/supported? Are parents/grandparents,etc. welcome to volunteer in the schools? Looking for answers to both EGR and FH. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2008, 02:27 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,756,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW12 View Post
Thanks for the reply mich2fla--sounds like both are great. Can you comment on how the schools handle children who are not a part of the top 20%? I know the schools are excellent, but are the students who are not as "gifted" feel their needs are met/supported? Are parents/grandparents,etc. welcome to volunteer in the schools? Looking for answers to both EGR and FH. Thanks!
We have two in FH schools. In our school, they highly encourage family volunteers until about 3rd grade, where the classes become more intense (and more difficult for parents to pitch in). The workload gets heavy starting in 3rd grade, with at least 3 hours of homework a night. They have advanced programs available like Gateways (flexible thinking), Word Masters, advanced math and writing, and several others that students have to be placed into. But, the classes are pretty small so it seems like every student gets proper attention. There's also an Environmental Academy called Goodwillie for 5th and 6th graders that centers around Sustainability curriculum. Ada Vista School provides Spanish Immersion courses.

What I meant that was different about EGR and FHs really boils down to geography more than anything. As mich2fla mentioned, EGR is more grid-like (because it's a city), sidewalks everywhere, with a gorgeous set of lakes in the middle and a real downtown. The high school stadium sits right next to the downtown retail district, Reed's Lake, restaurants, bars, the library, etc.. If you're into running or walking, the Reeds Lake Trail can't be beat (4.4 miles of trails and sidewalks around the lake). If you like gated communities and/or big homes on deep hilly wooded lots, with no real central downtown, Forest Hills fits that description.

In both you'll find neighborhoods that aren't that uppity and where you'll find block parties, open connected yards, neighborhood parks, etc.. Check out any Eastbrook community in FH for sure.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:48 PM

Magellan---Did you say 3 hours of homework a night?? In elementary school??? Please clarify, I'm scared. Are all schools like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area