U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 PM

27 posts, read 90,885 times

Advertisements

Coming from a Minnesotan transplant.... With all of the recent developments that have sprung up, there's really no character in many of the subdivisions once you get out into the second tier 'burbs.

Cost of living is higher in the Minneapolis metro than GR; commutes aren't too bad; the cold can really get to you, but it's a sunny cold ;-) Minnesotans do their best to pack in summer; the good news is that there are 10,000 lakes. The bad news is that there will be a traffic jam trying to get to most of them.

The economy is diverse and seems to weather things a bit better than many places. There are a lot of theaters (I recall we're second only to NYC in theater seats per capita), parks, a growing restaurant scene, and some really fun parts of town. Crime is fairly well-controlled (really, there a bit of the near northeast that's scary but the rest is fine).

Instead of one nice, big downtown, we broke it up into two so St. Paul doesn't feel left out.

Sorry, I'm rambling an awful lot about Minneapolis when you're busy asking about GR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 AM

25 posts, read 120,113 times
Grew up in GR and went to school in MSP. I remember my first winter in MSP and calling my Mom and telling her that the sun shined in the winter there. Who knew? MI winters are very grey. Obviously, MSP is a big city and traffic can be a nightmare at rush hours. GR is much smaller. What are you looking for? Both have good schools, great summers, long winters, beautiful state parks, lots of lakes, nice people. MSP has great arts and theater, GR some, but not near as much. MSP is filled with Scandinavian Lutherans, GR has Dutch Reformers. There would be much more to do in MSP. I found it very easy to make friends in both towns. Hope this helps. If you want a big city, pick MSP. If you want a smaller city, pick GR.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 PM

380 posts, read 968,433 times
Grand Rapids beats Minneapolis any day, for one, GRand Rapids was not ill informed enough to go and elect a congressman with ties to a group (CAIR) with ties to a terrorist group ( Hamas) as their representative to congress-Rep. Ellison Dem. Minn. Other than that, Grand Rapids is a nicer city, smaller, but more pleasant.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:09 PM

36 posts, read 170,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwebs View Post
MI winters are very grey.

GR is much smaller.

Both have good schools, great summers, long winters, beautiful state parks, lots of lakes, nice people.

There would be much more to do in MSP.

If you want a big city, pick MSP. If you want a smaller city, pick GR.
I totally agree with you on these points shwebs. I was also born/raised in GR, I know what you mean about those grey winters! I also agree with another poster that said MI is very conservative.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 PM

5,948 posts, read 14,399,103 times
Minneapolis would offer you much greater opportunities for career advancement, given its diverse economy. "Cookie-cutter" types? Perhaps when you were here you spent most of your time in the burbs? Yes, they are here, but there are large communities of other folks, too. It is very easy to find a place to fit in here if you know where to look. Hell, there'd even be a community for old sweetpotater58 here!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Status: "Thou Shalt Not Lick the Surfaces of the "T"" (set 13 days ago)

31,060 posts, read 68,930,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganButterfly View Post
I live in the GR area, and am dying to get out of here. The ultra-conservative people are really tiring. You cannot read the opinion pages of the GR Press without reading cruel letters from old people. A recent letter from one man proclaimed that Satan is smart, because Satan makes people think gay marriage is okay. (I'm not kidding.)
The only way you'll be okay is if you don't read the paper, or if you can shut out this little world and just go to work everyday. Or, if you're super-conservative, you will LOVE it here.
To be fair I live in Scranton, PA, which is one of the nation's most Democratic cities per capita (voted nearly 70% for Obama) and is the childhood hometown of both Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. Nevertheless homophobia exists here as well. Grand Rapids hasn't cornered the market on morons.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 AM

49 posts, read 53,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwebs View Post
Grew up in GR and went to school in MSP. I remember my first winter in MSP and calling my Mom and telling her that the sun shined in the winter there. Who knew? MI winters are very grey. Obviously, MSP is a big city and traffic can be a nightmare at rush hours. GR is much smaller. What are you looking for? Both have good schools, great summers, long winters, beautiful state parks, lots of lakes, nice people. MSP has great arts and theater, GR some, but not near as much. MSP is filled with Scandinavian Lutherans, GR has Dutch Reformers. There would be much more to do in MSP. I found it very easy to make friends in both towns. Hope this helps. If you want a big city, pick MSP. If you want a smaller city, pick GR.
Dude, there is different between Scandinavian Lutherans in Minneapolis than the Dutch in Grand Rapids. Scandinavian Lutherans Culture is spread throughout of Minnesota while, Dutch Culture is not spread across Michigan. It is only located in some parts of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area