U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:17 PM

14 posts, read 53,437 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have to choose between two jobs...one is in Minneapolis and one is in Grand Rapids. I posted a thread on the Minneapolis area ( //www.city-data.com/forum/minne...oving-job.html ) and wanted to get the Grand Rapids side of things.

I've been to both places for a day, and my info is based on research here on this site and talking to a few cab drivers in each city. I like GR so far...people seem more genuine. I did feel that the people in Minneapolis were a bit 'cookie cutter'. Plus, the 10degree difference in the winter scares me a bit about Minneapolis (did I tell you I have lived in California for 13 years).

I grew up in NY and Mass, so I get the cold. I am primarily looking for a place that feels like home, and I think the culture of the people is the biggest factor.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone lived in both cities and can compare them for me? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,744,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megnadam View Post
Hi, I have to choose between two jobs...one is in Minneapolis and one is in Grand Rapids. I posted a thread on the Minneapolis area ( //www.city-data.com/forum/minne...oving-job.html ) and wanted to get the Grand Rapids side of things.

I've been to both places for a day, and my info is based on research here on this site and talking to a few cab drivers in each city. I like GR so far...people seem more genuine. I did feel that the people in Minneapolis were a bit 'cookie cutter'. Plus, the 10degree difference in the winter scares me a bit about Minneapolis (did I tell you I have lived in California for 13 years).

I grew up in NY and Mass, so I get the cold. I am primarily looking for a place that feels like home, and I think the culture of the people is the biggest factor.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone lived in both cities and can compare them for me? Thanks.
That's a tough one. I haven't lived in Mpls, but I've been there numerous times on business. Mpls it a lot bigger than GR, especially with its massive suburbs stretching out into the countryside. And the downtown skyline can't be beat.

Temperature and weather wise, we might be warmer, but I think we get more snow (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

But economically and jobs wise, they're really apples and oranges. It depends on what kind of job. If you're the kind of person who is engaged with your community and likes to get involved, Grand Rapids is a great place to make a difference.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 11-27-2008, 08:57 PM

181 posts, read 547,130 times
I believe that cost of living is much lower in Grand Rapids. The other poster is correct that GR is definitely smaller, but I think that there is still a lot to do. I personally find a larger city to be overwhelming, but some people really prefer it.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:01 AM

419 posts, read 1,248,901 times
I grew up in the GR metro, but now living in Northern Plains, the Cities are a frequent weekend travel destination. GR is a whole lot easier to navigate, being considerably smaller. And right now it would be much more affordable. The Cities will be a whole lot sunnier and colder in winter; western Michigan has much more clouds and humidity, but is warmer. The OP had mentioned living in New York; weatherwise it would be similar to Rochester, I would think.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,497 times
Exclamation be careful!

I live in Grand Rapids. My sister lives in Minn. I am familiar with both cities. I would think you have to consider the economic situation right now above anything else. Personally, if I had a choice, I would move to Minn. I would not worry about the 10 degree difference in temps. You have to consider quality of life. Michigan's economy isn't going to turn around for 10 years....think about your investment in real estate. Once you're here - your stuck here.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:46 AM

316 posts, read 1,081,476 times
Interesting to know Minneapolis is mostly cookie cutter. What do you mean exactly? Which way are you leaning?

Old 12-06-2008, 07:00 PM

14 posts, read 53,437 times
Well, remember i got this impression from just a few hours of talking with a few people. I'm leaning towards Mlps due to the economy situation. However I will miss the east coast vibe in Mi.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:09 PM

316 posts, read 1,081,476 times
Just a correction Megnadam, Grand Rapids does not have any sentiment of east coast vibe in it at all. It is a very slow paced, very conservative city.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,744,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megnadam View Post
Well, remember i got this impression from just a few hours of talking with a few people. I'm leaning towards Mlps due to the economy situation. However I will miss the east coast vibe in Mi.
I would say culturally it's more Midwestern than East Coast. It's neither loud nor brash here.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 7,699 times
I live in the GR area, and am dying to get out of here. The ultra-conservative people are really tiring. You cannot read the opinion pages of the GR Press without reading cruel letters from old people. A recent letter from one man proclaimed that Satan is smart, because Satan makes people think gay marriage is okay. (I'm not kidding.)
The only way you'll be okay is if you don't read the paper, or if you can shut out this little world and just go to work everyday. Or, if you're super-conservative, you will LOVE it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area