U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:58 AM

1,426 posts, read 2,655,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Yes, it was about -1% in 2008. But you have to realize that population growth/decline over a one year period is usually measured in fractions of a percent. Fast growing states or metro areas grow by about 1.5 - 2% a year.

Even fast growing states like Arizona have positive net migration of about 1.5% a year. So when it comes to people moving in vs. moving out, California is the exact opposite of states like Arizona.

Births/deaths don't indicate anything regarding an economy. Many 3rd world countries have 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ratios (or higher). It just means people are having too many babies.

But isn't this thread about Western Michigan people?
This is all understood but you can always find some state that's doing better than another, but it's as meaningless as saying Chicago is warmer than Minneapolis. That doesn't make Chicago any less warm to someone accustomed to living in Tampa.

Back to topic.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,965 times
Unhappy I Agree

I agree with what your saying, after I have now lived here and wittnessed first hand the "unapproachablility" of Michiganders. I have wanted to move for a good 6 years now. I have lived here for 11 and moved here from Fort Lauderdale. Why? Horses and kids that is all! So I have lived in beautiful places, Colorado for 15 years, Texas, La, Calgary, wont mention New Jersey, and of course sunny AZ. I had friends everywhere but HERE! I have finally met someone about 3 years ago, and it took a lot to achieve that. People here are just so BUSY. Do not think to just pop over to someones house,,, oh no,, you must have a "plan" on your "calendar" a month in advance. I thought when we moved here I would actually get to know my hubbies family. Well, they are too busy! Tried for 3 years to get a sis in law to shop with me for Christmas,, they would just go through their daily business, and say oh this is just the busy time of year. Needless to say I gave up!
People are transient in Florida and that is why they are friendly. People here have know their friends, forever, their entire family lives here and they only travel to florida for vacation. I enjoy people watching. It is more fun than looking at exhibits in museums. People are strange.
I tried to befriend my neighbors. OUUCH that hurt. Invited them to ride my horses, only for them to call and complain about our bonfire, or my sons bump bump music, or my balloons on her mailbox.. Long story, she had the staples in the box i just tied the balloons to it. No one ever goes outside, AGhhhhh I hate it here and only wish the Post office were allowing transfers because i would be outta this dreary dirty place in a heartbeat that is if i could sell my house as it isnt worth much even with 13 acres anymore.,,,, but my 85,thousand dollar house in Ftl sold 3 years ago for 299 k I would be set if I just stayed.... in florida that is

Last edited by 8stategirl; 01-14-2009 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: wrong spelling of unapproachablitlity

Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,965 times
Default I went to the New years bash

We froze our butts off! Shoot it was cold! I had reservations at a place for dinner and dancing, but the other 2 couples we went with wanted to go to Rosa Parks. I wasnt even dressed appropriatly! Oh well, We were there from 10pm - 10 30.... too cold to enjoy! At my age anyway 40ish

BTW: Did anyone on here go to the big downtown New Year's Eve bash? How was it? I hear there were like 20,000 people at Rosa Parks Circle.

[URL]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/3163004221_ffd5d0fa45_o.jpg[/URL][/quote]

Old 01-14-2009, 01:57 PM

316 posts, read 1,081,324 times
So I ventured to GR yesterday and found that the neighborhood where some of my friends live are composed of a fairly diverse bunch of people. (Detroit area, wisconsin, Oklahoma) The interesting thing that they all found in common was the dislike for the Christian reformed church.
"Why do they have to know where I go to church?" exclaimed one. One said it reminded them of the atmosphere in smaller cities in Oklahoma. All agreed though that the city physically is a nice place to be, with downtown having options to eat, East Grand Rapids being a nice neighborhood area to be.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:35 PM

14 posts, read 21,261 times
if you look for negatives you will find them. plain and simple. if you want to be positive you will be

Old 01-14-2009, 04:48 PM

316 posts, read 1,081,324 times
What I found is what I found, positive or negative. Grand Rapids like many things are what they are.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:02 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,741,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
What I found is what I found, positive or negative. Grand Rapids like many things are what they are.
What you found is anecdotal evidence. This whole thread is subjective, much like any touchy feely discussion. I know some people would like to individually paint a picture of the temperament of 1 Million people, but it just doesn't work that way.

I've never had anybody care what church I go to. But I will admit that some of the CRC members I have met are a bit regressive in their beliefs. But I don't go as far as thinking they are lower human beings than I am.

What's the old saying "The best way to make friends is to be one."

Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 AM

23,171 posts, read 28,592,507 times
I lived in Grand Rapids for 8 years as a kid. My family left in 1964, so it's been a long time, but when I lived there Grand Rapids was very diverse. But then that was when being diverse meant that people of many nationalities, religions & races lived there.

People were friendly then & when I've gone back to visit a friend over the years, they still are.

Some people back then had a problem with the Christian Reform people, but it was never a big problem. Our neighborhood had a lot of the Christian Reform members & everyone socialized. Some of my classmates lived in neighborhoods where there wasn't as much mixing.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM

419 posts, read 1,248,672 times
And you know what--it cuts both ways. I grew up CRC in Grandville on a cul-de-sac full of kids of the same ages in the 70's. We went to Grandville Christian School, the others in the neighborhood to either the public elementary or Pius X school. Did the rest of the kids ever invite to play w/ them? Nope.
Did we get invited to neighborhood gatherings? Only once when an RCA family resettled Vietnamese refugees and wanted to make sure that everyone in the neighborhood was okay w/ it.
I supposed we were perceived as different and thus were either left alone or excluded, depending on whatever spin you want to put on it.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 11,529 times
I have met people from the Grand Rapids area, and those people who have lived there for a while tend to be quite full of themselves. Some seem stuck up, or think their little cocoon over there is the best place in the world. I find that West Michigan is really not that diverse at all. If your white, hardcore christian, and conservative, you'll fit right in. I live in Lansing/East Lansing area and enjoy the mix of people here. We are halfway between Detroit and GR so we get a little of everyone here. Also Michigan State University brings in many diverse folks from all over the world. Students and Faculty. We are within 80 miles of Detroit and 70 miles of Grand Rapids. Metro Detroit is a very busy place with very busy people, Lansing is a busy place, but people are generally courteous when out and about and do make time for the good things in life. You will find a pretty even mix of blue-collar, white-collar, and whatever type of collar you are looking for. From Automotive jobs, to City/State Gov't, to a large research university with international reputation, to small businesses and the insurance industry is well represented here as well (Jackson National Life, Auto Owners, Accident Fund, Delta Dental and many others). Its an alright place. Also living in the Lansing area, you are well connected to the state, via road transport. US127 Gets you quickly to the north country, I-96 Gets you to Lake Mich or the amenities of metro Detroit, i.e. professional sports etc. and Canada. I-69 connects you to SW Mich and points south out of the state and East to the Eastern portion of the state and Canada that way as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area