U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Michigan: Downtown, neighborhood, great schools, job market, Konica Minolta.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:32 PM

8 posts, read 20,109 times

Advertisements

Since graduating FSU in 1991 I have been on the move for 20 years. Japan, Chicago, LA, NYC, LA and Japan. Of course over the years I've been home for many a fun filled vacation or holiday. Especially the past 2 trips, I have begun to miss 'my people'. Tie that in with my folks getting old, the 2-family in Heritage Hills needing up keep and the children wanting to be with Grandma, were considering returning home in 09. Timing could have been better. But, who doesn't love a challenge?

We are planning on renovating the 2 family in Heritage Hill (Crescent / Prospect) going the owner occupant route for a couple years until we decide where to settle in the region. Great neighborhood for investment and close to Downtown. Drag for my 6 and 8 year old though. Not many kids in the area and I am not fond of sending them to Fountain Elementary school either.

I grew up near John Ball Park in the 70's and 80's in what I still feel was an idillic lifestyle. Of course I do not think I can find such a lifestyle anywhere. There are many sweet things about GR which will be great to share with my family.

Our main concerns are:

1. Children’s future
2. Employment (I am a sales and business professional used to high incomes of major cities)
3. What to do with those long winters

I welcome your questions and feedback.
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:35 AM

845 posts, read 3,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpatcher View Post
Since graduating FSU in 1991 I have been on the move for 20 years. Japan, Chicago, LA, NYC, LA and Japan. Of course over the years I've been home for many a fun filled vacation or holiday. Especially the past 2 trips, I have begun to miss 'my people'. Tie that in with my folks getting old, the 2-family in Heritage Hills needing up keep and the children wanting to be with Grandma, were considering returning home in 09. Timing could have been better. But, who doesn't love a challenge?

We are planning on renovating the 2 family in Heritage Hill (Crescent / Prospect) going the owner occupant route for a couple years until we decide where to settle in the region. Great neighborhood for investment and close to Downtown. Drag for my 6 and 8 year old though. Not many kids in the area and I am not fond of sending them to Fountain Elementary school either.

I grew up near John Ball Park in the 70's and 80's in what I still feel was an idillic lifestyle. Of course I do not think I can find such a lifestyle anywhere. There are many sweet things about GR which will be great to share with my family.

Our main concerns are:

1. Children’s future
2. Employment (I am a sales and business professional used to high incomes of major cities)

Cheers
Children's future: GR Montesorri and City High are both ranked very highly. If you can get your kids into those schools I wouldn't worry. You can always do schools of choice too, but if you're living in Heritage Hill you might as well take advantage of it.

Employment: Don't come without a job. That's the only advice I'm giving. You should also check your "high incomes of major cities" expectations at the door. This isn't a major city, it's a mid-sized rust-belt town. That said, everything's cheaper here too. We live a similar lifestyle to our friends in La Grange, Illinois who make 30%-50% more than we do every year.

Winter: Yeah. Sorry man. No advice. You either like it or you don't.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:40 AM

8,870 posts, read 17,739,660 times
Quote:

Our main concerns are:

1. Children’s future

Cheers
When you say "Sales and Business Professional", in what industry(ies)? (if you don't mind me asking)

As far as young children in Heritage Hill, I see more and more strollers at Wealthy Street Bakery during the day. Those people have to live somewhere close by.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 PM

112 posts, read 269,185 times
Quote:

Our main concerns are:

1. Children’s future

Cheers
Maybe it's your time to approach Fountain school with the same enthusiasm that you intend to apply to that 2 family. That might also be a great way to spend those long winters. The community could use people like you. As far as employment goes, great salespeople can succeed anywhere.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:10 PM

Thank you for the feedback. My business background is in the Printing Industry. GR used to be strong for printing related businesses. I am not so sure these days. Topshop good points on sales and community involvement. Having grown up in Heritage Hill, I'd love to help the improvements currently underway. The people / city have done a lot in the past 10 years.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:14 AM

8,870 posts, read 17,739,660 times
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. My business background is in the Printing Industry. GR used to be strong for printing related businesses. I am not so sure these days. Topshop good points on sales and community involvement. Having grown up in Heritage Hill, I'd love to help the improvements currently underway. The people / city have done a lot in the past 10 years.
I'm not sure how printing companies are doing (with more and more going digital), but there are still some big ones in town.

Commerical Printing in Grand Rapids, MI - Yellow Pages - Switchboard.com

Konica Minolta Graphic Imaging also moved their HQ's here from New York about a year ago. Might be some opportunity there for someone from the printing industry.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:30 AM

Thanks for the lead. I'll check Konica out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area