Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:30 PM

314 posts, read 1,277,706 times

Advertisements

Is the economy in Michigan reflected in GR? I know that Detroit is kinda an economic funnel, but how is GR doing? would the economy there be closer to whats happening in Chicago than Detroit? I know it kinda sucks everywhere across the country right now (I'm in Atlanta...kinda sucks here too), just wondering how GR compares to the rest of Michigan.

I would love to move back up to Michigan, but probably not back to the East side of the state...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 01:48 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,251 times
Grand Rapids is a relative bright spot in the state.
Despite layoffs, the reason I say that is our economic diversity.
There are automotive jobs, parts suppliers and such that are tied to the automotive industry (though not just Detroit's Big 3).
There are other industries, however, that make and sell product across the country (Furniture, etc.).
There is also a burgeoning healthcare industry.

I don't think GR is tied to Detroit, but I also don't think you'll find cheerleaders right now. It's a tough time everywhere.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:17 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadgrad View Post
Is the economy in Michigan reflected in GR? I know that Detroit is kinda an economic funnel, but how is GR doing? would the economy there be closer to whats happening in Chicago than Detroit? I know it kinda sucks everywhere across the country right now (I'm in Atlanta...kinda sucks here too), just wondering how GR compares to the rest of Michigan.

I would love to move back up to Michigan, but probably not back to the East side of the state...
Cost of living is lower than Atlanta, especially housing. Traffic is not even close to as bad as Atlanta, Chicago or Detroit. You can definitely make a niche for yourself in GR. A lot depends on your skills and experience. Unemployment rates here in GR are about the same as Atlanta (about 7%).

Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
I'd say GR is one of the brighter spots in the state, as it's ups and downs mirror the national economy more than Detroit's. That said, it too is struggling with the national economy like everywhere these days.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:23 PM

43 posts, read 102,459 times
I would have to disagree. I don't know much about how hard it is to find a job in the rest of the state, but i have been unemployed since the end of September, and have applied to an average of 10 places a week since, and have only gotten 1 call back for an interview. This is part of the reason why I am going to be moving out of Michigan in a month and a half.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNovitsky9 View Post
I would have to disagree. I don't know much about how hard it is to find a job in the rest of the state, but i have been unemployed since the end of September, and have applied to an average of 10 places a week since, and have only gotten 1 call back for an interview. This is part of the reason why I am going to be moving out of Michigan in a month and a half.
No offense Tim, but your past posts show that the most you've done is work 4 years cooking in a restaurant. What are you looking to do?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, anecdotes (as touching as they are... and I don't mean that condescendingly) aren't a very good way to get a picture of an area as a whole.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:45 AM

43 posts, read 102,459 times
however, its not just me, that's how it is for many people i know in the area.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
however, its not just me, that's how it is for many people i know in the area.
About 7% of us in the area.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 AM

447 posts, read 1,245,482 times
Grand Rapids is doing better than Michigan. Both are doing worse the the US on average, according to the lastest numbers for unemployment, manufacturing production and other economic indicators.

Although george Erickcek is making the rounds of all the West michigan chamber iof commerce breakfast meetings with updated figures, here the lastest date from his december forecast at the Upjohn Institute:

http://www.upjohninst.org/regional/Dec2008Busout.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area