U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:37 PM

12,371 posts, read 8,043,914 times

Advertisements

We had a house built by Roersma and Wurn about six years ago and we were very pleased with the process and the quality. They also have a great service department to follow up on any problems that might show up in the first year. They usually have a model home or two you can tour in the neighborhoods they are working in. Right now, they build mostly in the north end of G.R. All my neighbors house's are Roersma and Wurn and I haven't heard any complaints. I think when you start looking for building lots, you're going to find out that many, if not most of them, are owned by particular builders who develop a neighborhood and you have to use them to if you want one of their lots...at least for the mid range houses like all those build by the companies mention thus far in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 05:02 AM

4 posts, read 34,402 times
Thank you Uncle Ed and Wayland Woman for your help and information. We are continuing to gather as much information as we can on homes, neighborhoods, schools, etc. I might contact you in the future.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:09 AM

66 posts, read 220,451 times
Until Bill Pulte gives my Dad back his Makita drill, please don't buy a Pulte home. How can you be the nations largest builder and not own your own stupid drill????

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 AM

34 posts, read 115,807 times
All the houses that are built these days by builders are very cheap made,vilyl on the floor,laminated countertops,painted backsplash,fiberglass walk-in shower ,very cheap.If the customer wants custom they charge you a heck of alot of money extra for that .Quality wise ,I don't know what to say ,yes and no.Check out my profile and see some pictures of what customers want done in their houses.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,741,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitMi View Post
All the houses that are built these days by builders are very cheap made,vilyl on the floor,laminated countertops,painted backsplash,fiberglass walk-in shower ,very cheap.If the customer wants custom they charge you a heck of alot of money extra for that .Quality wise ,I don't know what to say ,yes and no.Check out my profile and see some pictures of what customers want done in their houses.
Vinyl floors and vinyl countertops have been put in homes for a long time. I've been through a lot of new and older homes, and hardwood floors and ceramic tile come and go depending on the economy.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 AM

34 posts, read 115,807 times
You are right about that.I've been in business for over 10 years now , I know how that goes. My point was :builders always build up cheap and most of the time unprofessional,just to get over with and sell it ,unless they build a custom house where lots of extra money are involved .Vilyl and fiberglass it s old fashion now ( I wouldn't drink a cup of water on a vilyl floor),everybody wants cool things in their house,unless you re cheap.You know what they say ,you always get what you're paying for.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,741,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitMi View Post
You are right about that.I've been in business for over 10 years now , I know how that goes. My point was :builders always build up cheap and most of the time unprofessional,just to get over with and sell it ,unless they build a custom house where lots of extra money are involved .Vilyl and fiberglass it s old fashion now ( I wouldn't drink a cup of water on a vilyl floor),everybody wants cool things in their house,unless you re cheap.You know what they say ,you always get what you're paying for.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 15,183 times
Here is a simple tip. All "track" style houses are mostly done very plain. Single builders do build similar homes but not usually. The level of quailty should be judged by viewing personally a project the builder is currently working on. Dont let hear-say or someones testimonial sway your judgement. Upgrades by track home builders usually cost more than what a normal fair builder would charge. Also if you sit and design your home with the right builder they shouldn't be any or many upcharges because they should be quoted properly when you get your initial estimate. Be-aware of Time and Materials due to the fact there is usually no cap on those jobs and end up more costly at the end.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:14 AM

13 posts, read 26,042 times
I was wondering if anyone knows of a GREAT quality customs home "Build on your lot" builder? We are also interested in building an ICF/Concrete or POSSIBLY a self sustaining home off grid and connected to city sewer. Danke.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 AM

7 posts, read 56,431 times
I recommend Quist Builders (quistbuilders.com). The owner, Brad Quist, is a great guy and very honest and trustworthy. He also does excellent work - the quality of the project he completed for us is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area