U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 34,399 times

Advertisements

We are loooking to move to the Grand Rapids area. Unfortunately, we know nothing about the quality of homes built there. I've heard names such as Heartland, Eastbrook, Roersma and Wurn, Pulte, but I know nothing about them. We're looking for about a 2000 sq ft home, 4 bedrooms, built with good quality. Does anyone have builders they strongly recommend? Ones to avoid? Any help would be appreciated. We are looking in the Forest Hills area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM

8,870 posts, read 17,739,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou1999 View Post
We are loooking to move to the Grand Rapids area. Unfortunately, we know nothing about the quality of homes built there. I've heard names such as Heartland, Eastbrook, Roersma and Wurn, Pulte, but I know nothing about them. We're looking for about a 2000 sq ft home, 4 bedrooms, built with good quality. Does anyone have builders they strongly recommend? Ones to avoid? Any help would be appreciated. We are looking in the Forest Hills area.
Eastbrook has some great neighborhoods, the homes are built pretty well. Pulte left West Michigan a few years ago, so I wouldn't buy a Pulte Home personally. Heartland never heard of. Roersma and Wurn I think are OK. Legacy Homes are pretty well built, despite the fact that I believe they are no longer around. John Halland builds a good home.

If you want info on specific neighborhoods, send me a message. I know a lot of people in the construction and development business.

What is your price range?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 AM

8,218 posts, read 16,823,026 times
My parents' house was built by Koetje in 1982, and has held up very nicely over the years. They've only really ever had to do cosmetic updating and the usual roof replacement a couple years back.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:04 PM

30 posts, read 71,312 times
If you can, hold off until you can go to the Parade of Homes, that will give you the opportunity to take a look at what different builders are capable of in specific areas. We picked our builder because "we liked him" and thought he would be capable to take on our project. He wasn't and we've regretted it ever since. We're on the far SW side of GR so I doubt you'll run into him and I'll spare him the embarrasment of mentioning his name.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glurknobia View Post
If you can, hold off until you can go to the Parade of Homes, that will give you the opportunity to take a look at what different builders are capable of in specific areas. We picked our builder because "we liked him" and thought he would be capable to take on our project. He wasn't and we've regretted it ever since. We're on the far SW side of GR so I doubt you'll run into him and I'll spare him the embarrasment of mentioning his name.
Well in regard to this, and lou1999's first post, I wouldn't even think about building a home right now. You're almost guaranteed to lose money. I'd look for an existing newly built home or a builder's spec home, for which you can get a great deal right now.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:50 PM

We are trying to gage the quality of an existing home by trying to find out about the builders. For instance, there are entire neighborhoods built by Eastbrook. How good of a builder is Eastbrook? What about Heartland or any of the others? I know we can walk through a home to get an idea, but which builders have less problems with their homes once they are completed? Are there some builders whose homes we should stay away from? Just trying to get any advice/opinions we can.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
We are trying to gage the quality of an existing home by trying to find out about the builders. For instance, there are entire neighborhoods built by Eastbrook. How good of a builder is Eastbrook? What about Heartland or any of the others? I know we can walk through a home to get an idea, but which builders have less problems with their homes once they are completed? Are there some builders whose homes we should stay away from? Just trying to get any advice/opinions we can.
We live in an Eastbrook home. Other than a few minor glitches, it's been great. One of the best features is the energy efficiency standards they use, which pretty much eliminates any kind of drafts (except through the fireplace box). And it makes our gas bill pretty cheap.

We love the neighborhood too.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the reply, Magellan. There are a lot of eastbrook homes. I'm glad to know you like yours. They seem to be in entire neighborhoods of Eastbrook homes. Is that how they build their homes?

Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Magellan. There are a lot of eastbrook homes. I'm glad to know you like yours. They seem to be in entire neighborhoods of Eastbrook homes. Is that how they build their homes?
Yes, I think they like to have control over sales in the whole neighborhood.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 15,182 times
Default Don't Fall For It

I work in the building industry and have been on both sides of the hammer for almost 17 years now. I am not a salesman for any of my customers, what I give you is honest upfront information. I am activly involved in the Home Builders Association and have vast knowkledge of all the goings on in the industry. If you need some simple honest answers for FREE....... with no strings attached about homes, products, suppliers or contractors don't hessitate to toss some questions to me.

Last edited by Uncle Ed; 02-18-2009 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Accidentally published without proof reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area