U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 PM

5 posts, read 51,756 times

Advertisements

I live in Caledonia, and I've been looking for a while to get into a soccer league in my area, which includes Grand Rapids.
Only problem is, I've been having trouble finding details and information about adult soccer leagues. I've found PLENTY of youth leagues, but when it comes to adult games, information is scarce. Does anyone have anything on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 AM

66 posts, read 220,486 times
I have never seen adults playing soccer in the GR area. Not that there aren't any games, organized or otherwise, but I've never seen any. I think most of the 30+ year olds in this area grew up when soccer wasn't nearly as big as it is now. There used to be an area soccer association called GRASA, but it was mostly geared towards kids, and recently changed names. Click here for more info: Home (http://www.grcrewjuniors.com/site3.aspx - broken link). You might also try MVP Sports and see if they have any contact info.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,744,725 times
Try the Soccer Spot in Kentwood (now owned by MVP). They have adult indoor leagues, and even over 40 leagues. Then during off season, the teams usually meet up in the Summer on the local high school fields (I was invited to play at a few games at FHC High School).

Or go to Manhattan Park in EGR in the evenings in the Summer and you'll find some pickup games (mostly Hispanic and European guys who are pretty good).

The other option is to talk to the owners at Studs Up in EGR (soccer outfitters). I'm sure they're plugged into the local soccer scene.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 PM

Thanks to you both, I'll check out both of them and see what I can find. If I find something, I'll make a post here, or point in the right direction for people to look into themselves.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 12,037 times
Have you been able to find any teams or games? I have just moved over to Grand Rapids from Scotland and would love to find a team/league to play with or even train with. Let me know what you found out and if I find anything I will do the same

Old 03-31-2009, 11:26 AM

Well, I know that MVP has some really nice turf fields, but that requires a membership and all that, but if you're willing to pay to play there, there's that. Also, there's a summer tournament that you can enter with I think it was Alliance FC. Other than that, I've not really found anything, although the one post mentions people just getting together and playing in East Grand Rapids, but I haven't really made it out there yet. It seems to me, unless you're a youth or you're gonna go pro, you don't really have many options for soccer out here.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:42 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,744,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subjecttooweary View Post
Well, I know that MVP has some really nice turf fields, but that requires a membership and all that, but if you're willing to pay to play there, there's that. Also, there's a summer tournament that you can enter with I think it was Alliance FC. Other than that, I've not really found anything, although the one post mentions people just getting together and playing in East Grand Rapids, but I haven't really made it out there yet. It seems to me, unless you're a youth or you're gonna go pro, you don't really have many options for soccer out here.
Start with the adult indoor leagues. The guys I've played with definitely weren't headed for the pros.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 11,395 times
Check facebook's "Grand Rapids Soccer" group.... lots of times and locations for where and when adults play. All free, all welcome.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:02 PM

That's extremely helpful, I don't know why I never thought of trying that. Thanks a lot.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 16,470 times
There are many opportunities to play soccer in the West Michigan area.

Most of the soccer information can be found at West Michigan Soccer

There are a total of 6 INDOOR facilities for winter.

Woodland Sports, MVP Soccer Spot, Soccer Zone and Cedar Rock Sportsplex are in Grand Rapids or within 20 minutes of Downtown GR.

The Soccer Stop is in Holland. Shoreline is in Grand Haven

Summer leagues are also available.

Woodland Sports runs indoor 7 v 7 for Women, Men and Coed leagues all summer.

Both East Grand Rapids Rec & East Kentwood Rec Departments run 11v11 outdoor leagues all summer

MVP Sportsplex runs 11 v 11 outdoor leagues on its 3 full size turf fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area