U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 29,491 times

Advertisements

I have lived all over the grand rapids area. Some of the best places are East GR. Its a really safe place to live and raise a family. Lots to do in the summer with the kids as well as a lot of young couples who are very welcoming. Probably the best place to live in GR, but you have huge taxes to pay. Also the Ada, cascade, Caledonia ares are nice too. These places offer the forest hill school districts which are some of the best. Some places to stay away would parts of Wyoming, around the street taft as well as any area arround downtown division or welthy. The community is wokring to make it a better place to live but if you are a single womem or have small children its best to stay on the SE side as close to the ada, casade, East GR area. The walker area isn't to bad, but if you choose to live on alpine be picky! Some of the apartment complxes are shady, so if you have to pay a little more do it! It will almost always be safer. The alger heightes area is nice too. It is close to eastern so make sure you live in the small community on the outside of eastern. Some of that area can be sady. I lived in alger for a year and loved the small community and the close by shops. Parts of granville nice too! They have nice areas for new familys as well as developments for young couples. Its a nice alternative to the East GR area if you cannot afford it. All in all the best thing to do is go to your local police station and for 6-12 dollars get a print out of local crime in the area where you wish to live and make a judgement for your self. THe report will tell you everything from reported break ins for the past year to reported rapes and murder in the area. Its a great investment espically if you have a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:26 PM

380 posts, read 968,599 times
my good friend Bill O. lives in Grand Rapids and he loves it, he says it is a great community.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 AM

66 posts, read 220,553 times
We live in GR Township, in the FHE school district. It's a nice area, very safe, and the schools are decent, but it's also pretty boring. The best places to eat nearby are all chains - not my thing. What we did get was a really nice house on a hill and about an acre of land for about 1/5 what it would cost in some parts of the country. I can also get to the hunt/fish property my grandfather bought in 1930, up north a ways, in just about two hours. That is a real bonus.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,563 times
I am relocating to the Grand Rapids area and I dont know a thing about what sides of town are good or bad. The apartments that I found One is on the SE side and one is on the NE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area