U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 21,511 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to the GR area within the next few months from Ann Arbor. We homeschool our 5 kids and are wondering what the homeschooling community is like over there. We've heard it's large, but I don't know much more than that. Is it concentrated in a certain area? Are there neighborhoods or churches where homeschoolers tend to congregate? Best areas to live (our price range is up to about 400K)? Any ideas?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 03:50 PM

194 posts, read 889,727 times
If 400k is your budget, you will have a myriad of excellent choices of where exactly to plant yourselves.. East Grand Rapids is a great little community just east of Grand Rapids, naturally.. I would look there first. I know people in Jenison who have told me that there is a sizable community of homeschooling families. Both of those two areas are extremely safe and clean. The Ann Arbor that I know (I moved here from that side of the state) is quite liberal, however I have heard that Jenison is quite the opposite; conservative and Christian – if that is what suits you. Not sure about EGR. Good luck with your move. This is an excellent place to be!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 PM

302 posts, read 534,879 times
There is a homeschool band program and satellite school at The HomeSchool Building in Wyoming. My kids are in the band, we drive an hour to Wyoming to participate. In addition to many classrooms and a gym the building has a resource room/library with a great supply of good books and games to check out and a bookstore. We just moved here from California in August and have found many homeschoolers here.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 21,511 times
Is the homeschool building a coop? Are there coops in the area? Thanks!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:42 PM

302 posts, read 534,879 times
if you google homeschool building you can go to the website. I think there is a co-op that meets there. We go there for the band classes on Wednesdays, if we lived closer I'd take advantage of some of the other classes they have during the week. The library is well stocked and we have loved having good books available on a day we have to be out anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or