U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,746,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgirl1975 View Post
Don't come to GR. There is nothing to do here.
I am a 33 years old.
I was born in NYC and then moved to GR when I was 4 years old. So, I have lived in GR practically all my life except for 4 years of college at EMU in Ypsi.
I wish I would have stayed on the East side of the state, but I missed my family too much and came back after graduation.
I enjoyed living in the Ann Arbor/Ypsi area and having the big city 30mins or so away.

Here's my Pros and Cons of GR in comparison to Detroit and surrounding suburbs:
(Please be advised this is based on my likes and dislikes)

Travel
Pro: In between Chicago and Detroit when you need to escape which will be frequently especially in the winter.
Con: Airfare is more expensive from GR. Flying out of DTW will save you money but you will have to drive 2hrs from GR to get there.

Restaurants
Pro: GR is up and coming but not quite there yet.
Con: Not enough diversity, options, or vegetarian places.

Shopping
Pro: It's ok.
Con: No Ikea, Great Lakes Crossing, Somerset, Whole Foods, Trader Joe, or Joe Randazzo's.

Music, Entertainment, and Radio Stations
Pro: Depending on what you like...not many options.
Con: Festivals are not like the ones on the east...much much smaller or don't exist. As far as radio stations there is no V98.7, 92.3, 97.9, 105.9 and definitely no Gospel station. Thank God for XM radio.

Weather
Pro: If you like snow come to GR.
Con: It snows more in GR then in Detroit.

Basically I feel that there is not much to do for single young adults in Grand Rapids. Most of the young people I know want to leave. The main reasons are to escape the winter, nothing to do and not much in dating options.

Hope this helps.
To each his/her own, but as far as shopping: Ikea? Come on, cheap junk and everyone knows it now (the *** is up). Great Lakes Crossings? For what, Bass Pro Shops? Somerset? My wife said the last time she was there the place was empty (no shoppers). Whole Foods and Trader Joe's? Most people aren't foodie enough to even notice the difference between those and what Meijer or D&W offer. Next thing you'll say is that you wish we had White Castle.

But hey, glad to hear there's at least a few people who still like Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM

12,505 posts, read 7,599,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgirl1975 View Post
Don't come to GR. There is nothing to do here.
I am a 33 years old.
I was born in NYC and then moved to GR when I was 4 years old. So, I have lived in GR practically all my life except for 4 years of college at EMU in Ypsi.
I wish I would have stayed on the East side of the state, but I missed my family too much and came back after graduation.
I enjoyed living in the Ann Arbor/Ypsi area and having the big city 30mins or so away.

Here's my Pros and Cons of GR in comparison to Detroit and surrounding suburbs:
(Please be advised this is based on my likes and dislikes)

Travel
Pro: In between Chicago and Detroit when you need to escape which will be frequently especially in the winter.
Con: Airfare is more expensive from GR. Flying out of DTW will save you money but you will have to drive 2hrs from GR to get there.

Restaurants
Pro: GR is up and coming but not quite there yet.
Con: Not enough diversity, options, or vegetarian places.

Shopping
Pro: It's ok.
Con: No Ikea, Great Lakes Crossing, Somerset, Whole Foods, Trader Joe, or Joe Randazzo's.

Music, Entertainment, and Radio Stations
Pro: Depending on what you like...not many options.
Con: Festivals are not like the ones on the east...much much smaller or don't exist. As far as radio stations there is no V98.7, 92.3, 97.9, 105.9 and definitely no Gospel station. Thank God for XM radio.

Weather
Pro: If you like snow come to GR.
Con: It snows more in GR then in Detroit.

Basically I feel that there is not much to do for single young adults in Grand Rapids. Most of the young people I know want to leave. The main reasons are to escape the winter, nothing to do and not much in dating options.

Hope this helps.
Agreed! The Detroit area has extremes relative to GR. The bad part is so much worse than GR but the good side is so much better than GR as well. I like Grand Rapids....but living in Detroit there was a lot more things to do. Detroit is much better for singles and GR is better for raising a family.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:37 PM

845 posts, read 3,018,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Detroit is much better for singles and GR is better for raising a family.
This is a fairly accurate statement... for some people.

I spent my formative single years as a West Michigan resident (single until 27, lived in West Michigan from 18+, including college). I found it great to be single here if you were more into outdoors pursuits. I was mountain biking, training for triathlons and backpacking... with other single folks. In between, I was visiting friends in Ann Arbor, Chicago and Madison (not really Detroit, but still... bigger cities than GR) and cities further afield. While they all had advantages, I don't ever recall feeling like there was "nothing to do" in West Michigan during that period. In fact, my friends from further afield visited us and enjoyed themselves as often as we visited them. As a home-base for outdoor pursuits GR won the day almost every time. For clubs and restaurants, Chicago was the king. For beer and college atmosphere, Madison beats the others.

I think it really comes down what you're trying to do. West Michigan is fun, if you are into those things at which this area excels.

In fact, a host of my friends are still single, in their 30s, and happy here. Is there more to do in Chicago? Obviously. Are they looking to leave? I don't think so.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM

316 posts, read 1,081,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Agreed! The Detroit area has extremes relative to GR. The bad part is so much worse than GR but the good side is so much better than GR as well. I like Grand Rapids....but living in Detroit there was a lot more things to do. Detroit is much better for singles and GR is better for raising a family.
I tend to agree with this statement. Glad to see other people on this forum also feel that way about GR and the surrounding area as well, although I am certainly surprised there comments weren't erased like mine were!
Suydam illustrates a nice point, you either mirror what the rest of the area is like and love it, or you do not and you feel out of place. I know plenty of people that love western Michigan in there 20's and 30's, and those that want to leave so badly I don't see why they stay.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:55 PM

16 posts, read 71,060 times
Other than the snow, I love Grand Rapids. I am 30 years old and have lived here all my life. It is no Detroit, but I agree that your salary will go further here than in Chicago. There are fun bars downtown, and a few in the inner city also. The crime here isn't that bad, just depending on where you are trying to rent or move to. Where is your job going to be based if you move here??? The beach is close, and yes, our festivals aren't HUGE, but they are still fun, and alot of people come out to enjoy them. In the summer we have Blues on the Mall downtown, they have live bands playing bluse music once a week and you can go down with your chair or blanket and listen for free. I think if you can deal with the snow you will like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area