Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 01:02 PM

64 posts, read 167,394 times

Advertisements

my family and I are considering moving (still ) and EGR is still on our list. I know that the public schools there rate very high, but i'm looking for more detail if possible. are the parents educated and highly interested in their children's education? are parents involved? for a fairly bright child, are there numerous opportunities for him to be challenged? is it likely for the current quality of EGR schools to continue? how is funding?

really any inside information about the public schools there would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
my family and I are considering moving (still ) and EGR is still on our list. I know that the public schools there rate very high, but i'm looking for more detail if possible. are the parents educated and highly interested in their children's education? are parents involved? for a fairly bright child, are there numerous opportunities for him to be challenged? is it likely for the current quality of EGR schools to continue? how is funding?

really any inside information about the public schools there would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully someone who had kids that went through the system can comment, I do have friends who went through EGR schools themselves though.

I don't really know how "involved" parents are in the schools but people that go to EGR seem to wear that badge proudly, parents wear the bumper stickers and jackets etc etc. East Grand Rapids, at least the highschool is sort of like a private highschool. Most of the kids are pretty middle to upper class depending on your definition. People from out of the district put theirs kids on waiting lists to try and get them into the schools because they are solid.

In terms of a challenge? Probably above most other public schools in the area but lower than some of the private. Again this is just what certain people have told me. Some of my EGR friends said school was easy, some said it was tough. My friends that went to Grand Rapids Christian Highschool all said it was hard.

If your kid is really smart I think they will coast through most academics anyway until college.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:17 AM

845 posts, read 3,272,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post

You can use this site (city-data.com) to check on the education level of the parents. It's higher at EGR than anywhere in the area. 99% of adults have a high school "degree" and 71% have a bachelor's degree or higher. That is unmatched in most areas of Michigan, let alone GR.

Parents are highly interested, to the point of annoyance by some. I would say that the problems you find in EGR are of over-involvement, not under-involvement.

EGR has long had high test scores, stellar AP programs (at the high school level), and gifted children coming out its ears. You will not lack challenges for your kids (though bright kids still coast through K-12 regardless of challenges, in my opinion).

Current quality is likely to continue, in my opinion, for a couple reasons: 1) The school district, and its quality are what drives the prosperity of the entire city. The city council, mayor, school board and superintendent work in concert because they each depend on each other. The home values that provide property tax are only as high as they are because the schools are so solid (just visit Ottawa Hills where equivalent homes, on the same street, fluctuate in value by 50% or more based on school district membership).

You asked about funding too. Funding is horrible, at every single public school district in Michigan without fail. EGR is not immune to this problem, and has been feeling the pressure for several years now. They may have started from a position of relative strength, but funding is terrible right now. You will not avoid this problem if you send you kids to public school.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:47 AM

8 posts, read 13,905 times
I'm just starting my kids in the district, one in Kindergarten and the other at the Preschool. Having moved here a little over a year ago and had another child come up through a different district, I wouldn't want my kids going anywhere else. First thing is no buses! All schools are within walking / biking distance. Parents are VERY involved just having had the kids in different activities. I mean there was a waiting list for Kindergarten soccer because people are so active. Also just look at their website and the sports offered, Crew, Sailing, Field Hockey... on and on.

Aside from the schools the community is AMAZING! There are about 20 kids on my block. The day before school started we had an impromptu block party. My husband wheeled the grill across the street, we all whipped up dishes to pass, the kids all ran around the block. I could go on and on about EGR and how fantastic it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area