U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM

1,426 posts, read 2,655,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittenDweller82 View Post
I was surprised to see this video on fox news of GM Dealership employees fighting after news of its closure. People are on edge everywhere...I honestly don't think "boom" anything will be in Michigan for the near future sadly.

FOXNews.com - Brawls Break Out Among Laid-Off Workers as Michigan Car Dealership Closes - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
I always turn to fox news for definitive info on Michigan's future, lol.

With challenges come opportunities, perfect incentives for the state to reinvent itself, and perhaps more quickly than anyone would guess. Why? It has no other choice and there's plenty of folks here ready & able to meet it head on.

For Grand Rapids in particular it has a diversified work force plus an educated pool of talent thanks to the number of universities in the area. It's never needed to ride coattails on any one entity or institution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:41 PM

845 posts, read 3,018,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
The reason - the number of government jobs in Ann Arbor is a full 40% of the civilian work force, in Grand Rapids it's less than 9%. If you love working for a bureaucracy, A2 is the place. Sounds a little dull. Not exactly a diversified labor force.
I'm guessing that the 40% figure counts employees of the University of Michigan. While you're technically correct, it's hardly just "a government job" or "working for a bureaucracy." It's a world-class research university.... full of diverse talents from a number of industries... not some monolithic governmental red-tape organization.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:17 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,742,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
I'm guessing that the 40% figure counts employees of the University of Michigan. While you're technically correct, it's hardly just "a government job" or "working for a bureaucracy." It's a world-class research university.... full of diverse talents from a number of industries... not some monolithic governmental red-tape organization.
The BLS shows 70,000 of AA's 196,000 Non-Farm workforce in government, and shows 24,000 in Education and Health Services.

Ann Arbor, MI Economy at a Glance

Who do all those government workers work for, I wonder (city, county, federal?)

Old 03-30-2009, 10:26 PM

689 posts, read 2,074,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The BLS shows 70,000 of AA's 196,000 Non-Farm workforce in government, and shows 24,000 in Education and Health Services.

Ann Arbor, MI Economy at a Glance

Who do all those government workers work for, I wonder (city, county, federal?)

A large percentage of those numbers are coming from health care, more specifically the VA Hospital system which employs several thousand people. The FDA also has a large presence on UM's campus in bio-medical sciences, with contract work flowing from different departments throughout UM. I imagine the specificity of what is "termed" a government job holds the answer as to why 70K people are considered "government" workers...still seems high though?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:

Exactly, many people have misconceptions regarding that concept.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I don't think that UofM faculty and staff are counted under the Government category, unless it's a situation like what MittenDweller offered.

Whatever it is, it's one sector in AA that's growing:

Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 PM

Off topic..but thought it was interesting. Very comprehensive study and data regarding where Michigander's are choosing to move..click on the "Michigan County Losses tab" very interesting data from each county...amazing that all this data was compiled.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...IAL01/90401002

Last edited by MittenDweller82; 04-01-2009 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: add.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Off topic..but thought it was interesting. Very comprehensive study and data regarding where Michigander's are choosing to move..click on the "Michigan County Losses tab" very interesting data from each county...amazing that all this data was compiled.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...IAL01/90401002
Wow, that is pretty interesting MittenDweller82. A lot of people in Michigan have moved to Cook County (Chicago), Houston, Vegas and Phoenix. One really bizarre stat for Kent County (Grand Rapids) is how many people moved to South Bend, Indiana. I mean, if you're going to move to Indiana (I assume looking for work), at least move somewhere that is growing like Indianapolis.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Wow, that is pretty interesting MittenDweller82. A lot of people in Michigan have moved to Cook County (Chicago), Houston, Vegas and Phoenix. One really bizarre stat for Kent County (Grand Rapids) is how many people moved to South Bend, Indiana. I mean, if you're going to move to Indiana (I assume looking for work), at least move somewhere that is growing like Indianapolis.
I saw that as well, and in the UP people are moving 30 miles across the border to WI, I couldn't make sense of some of the moves but...my guess is people were desperate and decided to just load the truck. As far as the people who moved to Indiana, I suspect they are commuting to Chicagoland...or at least I hope so!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I saw that as well, and in the UP people are moving 30 miles across the border to WI, I couldn't make sense of some of the moves but...my guess is people were desperate and decided to just load the truck. As far as the people who moved to Indiana, I suspect they are commuting to Chicagoland...or at least I hope so!
Maybe they're doing it as sort of a protest against Michigan, who knows. But I can't imagine incurring all the costs of relocating, just to go from the frying pan into the fire. The other thought is that the number was 88 or something in Kent County. Maybe it was a company that closed and offered relocation to South Bend, although I can't think of who that would be.

I'm also surprised North Carolina didn't make the top 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area