Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:52 PM

9 posts, read 17,887 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I was born in Grand Rapids but my family moved to Arkansas while I was in the first grade. It has always been a dream of mine to move back to GR. I'm a year of away from finishing my Master's degree. I've decided that would be a perfect time to move back. Can anyone tell me about my hometown? It's been a long time since I've been home. What are the best apartments? I have a price range of $500-$900. I'd prefer a new complex with nice appliances. Also what's the job market like for someone with a Master's degree. I have decided on a career and I'm open to anything. What parts of town are the fastest growing and relatively new? Thank you for the help!

LRTROJAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,858 times
Master's degree in what? Social work? Computer programming?
Your question is very vague.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 PM

I'm currently working on my master's in learning systems technology (LSTE) or sometimes called instructional technology.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,858 times
Now we're talking.... Would that make you an instructional designer (designing class materials and curriculum for delivery online) or would you be someone who is an expert in the technology itself?

Either way, I'd start your search with the local universities (there are a bunch in GR)

Old 04-20-2009, 08:48 AM

262 posts, read 781,770 times
With all respect, I think that you are approaching the problem backwards. Find a job that suits you first then select the area that you like best from those choices.

Let me worst case this out for you 1) you move the GR (you can sub any city name here) then 2) you find that you are unemployed or underemployed.

It makes more sense to get the job (somewhere) first then search for the ideal GR job.

AM I missing something here OP, isn't this a logical way to approach the rest of your life? Who knows maybe I am so old and out of touch that I emphasize employment over location idealism. It took me 8 years to get to the locale I wanted but when I made the move I got extra $$ and it went as smoothly as possible.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
With all respect, I think that you are approaching the problem backwards. Find a job that suits you first then select the area that you like best from those choices.

Let me worst case this out for you 1) you move the GR (you can sub any city name here) then 2) you find that you are unemployed or underemployed.

It makes more sense to get the job (somewhere) first then search for the ideal GR job.

AM I missing something here OP, isn't this a logical way to approach the rest of your life? Who knows maybe I am so old and out of touch that I emphasize employment over location idealism. It took me 8 years to get to the locale I wanted but when I made the move I got extra $$ and it went as smoothly as possible.
I tend to disagree. You can't let employment and employers run your life, especially at a young age when you can go anywhere basically. Plus, how in the world do you conduct a job search based on just a position, rather than on a position and a location? It seems like it would be almost impossible. Try searching a position on one of the jobs boards, without putting in a location, and see what kind of results you get.

It certainly doesn't hurt to narrow your search down to 2 - 3 locations that you want to move to, for backup (in case your #1 doesn't pan out).

This over-aversion to risk in this country is crushing the American spirit, IMHO.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I have a good situation in Little Rock, AR. Next spring I will hold a master's degree in LSTE. I will not move until I have a job locked down up there. I do not intend to just move to GR and hope for the best. That wouldn't be very wise. However, I do intend to target GR when I search for jobs. I have always loved it up there and I can't wait to get back. As for the degree I am working on...I would consider a job in the instructional field and developing software. I am open to any job field right now. I do not have a specific job in mind, just one that pays a decent salary and allows me to spend time with my family.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 AM

Best of luck, you seem to have a good balanced approach. GR does have many things to offer with a family friendly environment. Housing is also quite reasonable.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:38 AM

I would temper Magellan's (our moderator) with, well his own words from September 2007
<snip>
I don't think anyone really thinks Grand Rapids is "booming". There are certain sectors that are doing pretty well, like health care and accounting, for sure. And there is a lot of rejuvenation and construction going on right downtown (which could be characterized as a downtown "boom").

If you want a house rnettesh in a small surrounding town to rent, that would be pretty tough in your price range. You might try downtown Rockford, which has a lot of small older homes and it's a growing suburban area.

The large majority of GR's workforce does not live 30-40 miles outside of Grand Rapids. Most of the workforce lives in Kent County, which is maybe 10 miles max from downtown.

If you don't have school-aged kids, then I would definitely not rule out the city of Grand Rapids. The prices are lower and there are many clean and safe areas.

The Chamber of Commerce will tell you the same thing
End snip>

Good advise to balance too much sunshine. Credit to Magellan

Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,529 times
I do disagree with Magellan. I have lost three jobs here in Grand Rapids, and now I'm looking to leave because there are really no new jobs right now. You do need a job, unless you are independently wealthy, which you are working on you Masters so I'd say you are not. Good luck here, and don't mind my poor attitude please, I'm sure you'd understand if you had a wife and child too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area