U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2009, 06:55 PM
 
Location: NE philadelphia
550 posts, read 1,877,372 times
Reputation: 206

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
This event is going to be HUGE. I can't believe all the artist receptions and parties and buildings and bridges being turned into galleries around here! It's nuts!

Here's some more info:
Home
GRNow :: Grand Rapids Michigan's local restaurant, event, real estate and entertainment guide.


I am SO excited!!! my friend's wedding (the one i am "mistress of ceremonies" for) is next friday so I will be there for this awesome event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,748,233 times
Reputation: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
I am SO excited!!! my friend's wedding (the one i am "mistress of ceremonies" for) is next friday so I will be there for this awesome event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so excited!
Check this out! And keep in mind ArtPrize doesn't start for another week yet.

Boobily on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rudymalmquist/3932520684/in/pool-1098071@N23 - broken link)
Flickr: The ArtPrize Grand Rapids Pool (http://www.flickr.com/groups/1098071@N23/pool/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: NE philadelphia
550 posts, read 1,877,372 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Check this out! And keep in mind ArtPrize doesn't start for another week yet.

Boobily on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rudymalmquist/3932520684/in/pool-1098071@N23 - broken link)
Flickr: The ArtPrize Grand Rapids Pool (http://www.flickr.com/groups/1098071@N23/pool/ - broken link)
that is so cool!
our flight gets in pretty early on thurs...and rehearsal stuff doesn't start til late afternoon, so i figured we'd walk around a bit....we are staying at the days hotel and even that is a venue for some of the artists!!! then the wedding is friday and we will be busy, but iam sure we'll still see cool stuff then......
saturday is planned for kalamazoo since i miss it so much...gonna take my east coast boyfriend to see some of my old haunts
sunday is back to GR to spend the entire day with some of my friends who live right downtown so I am sure we will get to see more of the artprize stuff!
I can't wait to take lots of photos then share with my philly friends.....or even my michigan friends since not all of them will be at the wedding!


I tried to encourage the bride to really encourage her guests to check out all this artprize stuff....don't know if she ever did...I know I am excited though
I never would have known about it (okay maybe i would've!) if it weren't for this thread weeks ago! THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2009, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,748,233 times
Reputation: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
that is so cool!
our flight gets in pretty early on thurs...and rehearsal stuff doesn't start til late afternoon, so i figured we'd walk around a bit....we are staying at the days hotel and even that is a venue for some of the artists!!! then the wedding is friday and we will be busy, but iam sure we'll still see cool stuff then......
saturday is planned for kalamazoo since i miss it so much...gonna take my east coast boyfriend to see some of my old haunts
sunday is back to GR to spend the entire day with some of my friends who live right downtown so I am sure we will get to see more of the artprize stuff!
I can't wait to take lots of photos then share with my philly friends.....or even my michigan friends since not all of them will be at the wedding!


I tried to encourage the bride to really encourage her guests to check out all this artprize stuff....don't know if she ever did...I know I am excited though
I never would have known about it (okay maybe i would've!) if it weren't for this thread weeks ago! THANK YOU!!!
There will be plenty that you'll see just by being in downtown GR, like this giant table and chairs just installed the other day:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2495/...1deeab75_b.jpg

Also, just walk over to The B.O.B. (Big Old Building). They are hosting 150 artists and will have a HUGE festival place out in their parking lot, and a ton of art exhibited inside.

If you're on facebook, just go here:

Login | Facebook

I heard the other day it will be the most parties in downtown Grand Rapids at any one time, ever. Get there early!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2009, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Cumming, Georgia
808 posts, read 2,971,554 times
Reputation: 334
Last night my wife and I attended a party at the Bridgewater building...we walked around downtown and saw some of the arts on display, including the table and chairs on the pedestrian bridge. Today we will be going back and bringing the kids along. It's pretty neat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2009, 12:13 PM
 
Location: East Grand Rapids, MI
845 posts, read 3,019,063 times
Reputation: 236
We spent the entire morning just strolling downtown. It's still very quiet in terms of peds but there are tons of exhibits already up for viewing. I'm hoping for masses of people starting next weekend. We have guests coming from out of town who got a room at the JW just so they have a home-base for ArtPrize's opening weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Denver
2,970 posts, read 6,362,114 times
Reputation: 4828
Cool! Have fun everyone.....wish I could make it home to see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Cumming, Georgia
808 posts, read 2,971,554 times
Reputation: 334
Downtown was packed today! What a beautiful day to be outside and watch those paper planes come down!

WOOD TV8 | Paper airplanes and big ArtPrize crowds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 06:46 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 34,960,089 times
Reputation: 16907
Well it is all over. Went down today for the last day and it still looked fairly busy despite the cool weather.

I thought the cloudy day was perfect for some of the exhibits around the Pedestrian Bridge and "the BOB". The kids of course still loved the Sea Monster in the Grand River.


This guy was actually pretty good. My two oldest boys wanted to just stay right there and listen to him all afternoon.




I have to admit to liking the "Grande Bebe", DW really didn't like it at all. She thought it was "disturbing"


I also liked the welded nail Moose.


A view of the sky, from one of the exhibits.


A bit windy, a bit overcast, but overall a very good a day again downtown GR. I saw LOTS of smiles from those walking around the exhibits and saw tons of cameras out and getting a workout as well. I hope this is an annual event for GR. If it is, my family will for sure be down a couple of times to walk through and see the talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,748,233 times
Reputation: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I hope this is an annual event for GR. If it is, my family will for sure be down a couple of times to walk through and see the talent.
Already scheduled for next year, right around the same time. I don't think it could have been any better for a first year event. In fact, our organization wants to get much more heavily involved next year.

I hear there are a bunch of artists unofficially signed up for next year already, 30 of which are trying to get on the riverfront. It's going to be nutty next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top