U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,658 times

Advertisements

We're going to Holland in the next couple weeks for a job interview. My wife is a primary care physician (and a liberal leaning European). After reading some of the posts we're having 2nd thoughts about making the move. If, it means moving to another community where the term liberal is a four letter word and a measurable percentage of the community don't question Rush Limbaugh. No thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 01:38 PM

845 posts, read 3,019,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funinthealps View Post
We're going to Holland in the next couple weeks for a job interview. My wife is a primary care physician (and a liberal leaning European). After reading some of the posts we're having 2nd thoughts about making the move. If, it means moving to another community where the term liberal is a four letter word and a measurable percentage of the community don't question Rush Limbaugh. No thanks...
Suburban Holland is exceedingly conservative.
The city of Holland is dominated by a college, and has a more progressive feel and populace. You'll be fine.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 7,847 times
The college area is indeed very liberal as most colleges are. The reality is most college kids grow up and learn, then realize what it's like to be a taxpayer. However, if you are looking for an area that is very liberal, you'll fit in fine somewhere near 22nd or 24th street, west of Van Raalte. This area is very liberal and most of the residents are recipients of social programs. Outside the city, as mentioned in the other post is very conservative. This is where many tax paying residents live and they are not too happy about supporting those in the city area

Old 02-25-2010, 05:48 PM

845 posts, read 3,019,907 times
The city neighborhoods I'm speaking of are populated by young families, college professors and other nice folks.

There are a few tough streets in the low 20s (which is what the post above refers to).

Just come take a tour of the neighborhoods around downtown and Hope College. I don't think you'll be dissapointed, and I'm certain you won't find that it's "social-program-recipients and conservatives" as it was just portrayed.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 AM

3,095 posts, read 5,629,849 times
Quote:
After reading some of the posts we're having 2nd thoughts about making the move. If, it means moving to another community where the term liberal is a four letter word and a measurable percentage of the community don't question Rush Limbaugh. No thanks...
I think you'll be fine. The area leans conservative, but it is more of a live and let live attitude. It is not the in your face, closed-minded stuff you will get in places like the deep South. The worst you are going to get is the occasional smugness and "I'm better than you" attitude (which can happen anywhere, including Europe to be sure).

When it comes down to it, avoiding an area where people have different views is a little closed-minded in and of itself.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,618 times
skchi...I will put this to you straight. If you are progressive thinking or liberal and you are not christian than Holland, well most of West Michigan will not be the place for you. My husband and I just recently came to the heartbreaking decision to leave our home of 10 years here in Holland because the community is not a right fit for us. We are very progressive and liberal and are not Christian in our beliefs and I can assure we have felt like outcasts the entire time. It was not a big deal before we had children but the community is beginning to have an effect on our children that we are not happy with. Mostly, intolerance. I am not saying that these are bad people but I am saying that it is a very closed community that I find to be very judgemental. You will need to make the decision for yourself but I thought I would chime in since I am right in the middle of figuring out our relocation this summer and how to sell our home and find a new job out of state, etc. etc. etc.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:56 PM

1,426 posts, read 2,658,184 times
Holland seems to be a place full of people who are progressive and conservative. As to their acceptance to someone tending to be more liberal it's no different than a conservative moving into a liberal town.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 PM

412 posts, read 847,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccm View Post
skchi...I will put this to you straight. If you are progressive thinking or liberal and you are not christian than Holland, well most of West Michigan will not be the place for you. My husband and I just recently came to the heartbreaking decision to leave our home of 10 years here in Holland because the community is not a right fit for us. We are very progressive and liberal and are not Christian in our beliefs and I can assure we have felt like outcasts the entire time. It was not a big deal before we had children but the community is beginning to have an effect on our children that we are not happy with. Mostly, intolerance. I am not saying that these are bad people but I am saying that it is a very closed community that I find to be very judgemental. You will need to make the decision for yourself but I thought I would chime in since I am right in the middle of figuring out our relocation this summer and how to sell our home and find a new job out of state, etc. etc. etc.
Thanks for the post. We're thinking about having kids. That couldn't definitely be a problem. It's hard enough for kids to fit in. I wouldn't want them to be known as the kids with the liberal parents or family that doesn't go to church.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 AM

67 posts, read 134,612 times
Why would the majority's fire and brimstone mentality keep you away from such a wonderful city? =P

They say Michigan is a blue state.. but it bleeds red. A friend of mine lives in Holland and we always joke about the 'Grand Rapids Fever.' Even in Starbucks you're surrounded by bible study groups and going for a walk in the park you should expect to encounter at least one or two extremists trying to shove the gospel down your throat. Good luck

Old 03-31-2010, 06:46 AM

6 posts, read 9,702 times
I live in NY, used to live in Holland and plan to go back next year. I don't think political views are a reason to stay away. I'm liberal and until this health care bill passed I wasn't really aware of how conservative Holland is considered to be. It is extremely religious.. I think that is mostly why most of the community sticks with their conservative beliefs, they assume all liberals are Atheist or something. I say make the move, we are.. hey the more people who do it the less conservative it will be:-) Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area