Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM

112 posts, read 305,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
"
If we as a region had to rely solely on local conservatives, our economy would be in ruins.
Absolutely!

Just look at the recent Pew Center Report: "Beyond California - States in Peril". Just look at how conservative those states are!

Wait a minute...9 of the 10 are blue states....oh crap....nevermind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:43 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshop View Post
Absolutely!

Just look at the recent Pew Center Report: "Beyond California - States in Peril". Just look at how conservative those states are!

Wait a minute...9 of the 10 are blue states....oh crap....nevermind.

Hmmmm. Still waiting for someone to formulate a legitimate argument in favor of the area being overly conservative. Tell us all how religious zealotry and non-acceptance of outsiders are good character traits for an area.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 PM

283 posts, read 495,939 times
Quote:
"Maybe someone else can chime in to set the record straight" Set what record straight? And who out there has the monopoly on "truth?" The fact of the matter is that many conservatives in West Michigan are not very open to outsiders, and can even be a little scary about it. West Michigan is a growing area, and many many employers are reaching further and further out into the country to attract talent; highly intelligent (and many times liberal) talent that is sorely lacking in this sometimes backward and severely un-educated community (one of the lowest percentage of college grads in the Midwest).

Take a look at the 50 top thought leaders/economic influencers in Grand Rapids (hint, it ain't the Devos/Van Andel families) and you'll find several things in common: they're not originally from GR, they are highly educated (multiple advanced degrees), and they tend to lean moderate to left. That's a fact. Good thing they didn't take your advice and stay away, or just accepted the status quo.

If we as a region had to rely solely on local conservatives, our economy would be in ruins.
For crying out loud. Everything in your statement wreaks of elitist bigotry. You libs are full of bigots, hipocrits and racists. You all seem to support the notion and believe that conservatives are the one's that are under educated. I'm done responding to you. You obviously have elitist and arrogant views and I'm not going to waste my time responding any further. Like talking to a wall. Just a waste of time. Let me link you to a video to demonstrate how educated you progressive libs are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjS7JuOcm6g

Old 12-10-2009, 01:14 AM

412 posts, read 939,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REIRehabber View Post
We are straying a little from the original OP's question. I had only wanted to understand why the OP felt like moving into a predominately conservative part of the state, but at the same time didn't want to be living near those so called scary conservatives.
I'm the OP. Where did I say that I didn't want to live near "scary conservatives"? Where did I say that I thought conservatives are scary?

Quote:
I'm sure not all conservatives agree on every issue, but they at least still consider themselves conservatives. Why can't liberals do the same?
Really? Have you ever heard of the term RINO?

Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
For crying out loud. Everything in your statement wreaks of elitist bigotry. You libs are full of bigots, hipocrits and racists. You all seem to support the notion and believe that conservatives are the one's that are under educated. I'm done responding to you. You obviously have elitist and arrogant views and I'm not going to waste my time responding any further. Like talking to a wall. Just a waste of time. Let me link you to a video to demonstrate how educated you progressive libs are.
Don't think I don't recognize the fact that you have not countered anything I have said. And again, I don't even consider myself a liberal. I've voted Republican and Democrat. I've voted for ballot measures that fall on both sides of issues. You should try it some time.

You're "done" with me? I'm still waiting for you to start.

And I totally apologize skchi for monopolizing your discussion. Some people can't seem to see what's really happening.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
I'm the OP. Where did I say that I didn't want to live near "scary conservatives"? Where did I say that I thought conservatives are scary?

Really? Have you ever heard of the term RINO?
Those are donkeys in elephant suites. They're not fooling anyone.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Those are donkeys in elephant suites. They're not fooling anyone.
Let me guess, boxed set of Glen Beck DVD's on your Christmas list?

Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Let me guess, boxed set of Glen Beck DVD's on your Christmas list?
Actually, a dvd set of the "Manchurian Candidate". I forget how it ends. Also requested a copy of the book "Bamboozled: How Americans are being Exploited by the Lies of the Liberal Agenda"!

Thanks for asking. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm serious. How about posting something other than links to political hack websites. Where does Detroit stand on environmental policies? Gay Lesbian rights? Land use? Mass transit? Civil rights? Diversity? Organic farming? Green building? Alternative energy? Abortion?

Thank you.
Detroit sure isn't Conservative!!!! It certainly would be pro-Civil Rights if that's considered "progressive" but it's hard to find Conservatives that don't believe in the Civil Rights movement or who would want the return of Jim Crow. Detroit is very progressive when it comes to issues like welfare, food stamps, Medicaid -- the people there tend to be quite in favor of government programs of all kinds. I would suspect there's no shortage of abortion clinics or abortions in a city like Detroit - that would make it fit the ideal of "progressives".

Even if it's not quite perfect enough in the mind of liberals, it's far more liberal than Holland, Grand Rapids, even Traverse City.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Actually, a dvd set of the "Manchurian Candidate". I forget how it ends. Also requested a copy of the book "Bamboozled: How Americans are being Exploited by the Lies of the Liberal Agenda"!

Thanks for asking. Merry Christmas.
Yes, you too. Oh wait, we evil non-conservatives don't believe in Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area