U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-16-2009, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Highland CA
493 posts, read 1,294,321 times
Reputation: 124

Advertisements

We're looking for a place to retire and, from what I can see and read on here, GR is a nice area. We're from Flint originally and have been living in SoCal since 1975.

We'd like to find an area that doesn't have a lot of children, without living in an area that is older and run-down, or in a seniors community of any sort.

We like having a large university in the area and, although it's not Big 10, I'd probably want season tickets to the GVSU football and basketball games.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2009, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,746,616 times
Reputation: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
We're looking for a place to retire and, from what I can see and read on here, GR is a nice area. We're from Flint originally and have been living in SoCal since 1975.

We'd like to find an area that doesn't have a lot of children, without living in an area that is older and run-down, or in a seniors community of any sort.

We like having a large university in the area and, although it's not Big 10, I'd probably want season tickets to the GVSU football and basketball games.

Any suggestions?
Depends on your price range. I golf occasionally at Thousand Oaks Golf Club (5 Mile near East Beltline), and the neighborhood mixed into is is probably one of the nicest in the metro area (beautiful wooded hilltop setting). The golf course is nothing to sneeze at either, which is built like a lot of Traverse City courses, with 100 foot drops from tee to green, etc.. And since it's in the Northview School District, it doesn't attract as many families as Forest Hills District to the South (you don't see a lot of play structures in the backyards along the fairways). I noticed the other day that they have homes, lots and some really cool villas for sale.

I would imagine prices start in the $300's, but I'm just guessing. My other choice (if I were retired), would be a condo in downtown Grand Rapids. The Fitzgerald and River House are my favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Highland CA
493 posts, read 1,294,321 times
Reputation: 124
Default Thank you!

That's exactly the sort of information that I was looking for.

I haven't been on the links in years, but still have my clubs. I was an avid golfer when I lived in Flint, in the high school and college years.

If I might also ask, is the Thousand Oaks course private, semi-private or public? I belonged to a semi-private club when I lived in Flint, although the city courses were fine.

Finding a new home is incredibly easier when one doesn't have to worry about employment or the quality of the local school district.

Last edited by jmlowman; 05-17-2009 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,746,616 times
Reputation: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
That's exactly the sort of information that I was looking for.

I haven't been on the links in years, but still have my clubs. I was an avid golfer when I lived in Flint, in the high school and college years.

If I might also ask, is the Thousand Oaks course private, semi-private or public? I belonged to a semi-private club when I lived in Flint, although the city courses were fine.

Finding a new home is incredibly easier when one doesn't have to worry about employment or the quality of the local school district.
It is open to the public and they have memberships. They also have a very nice club house with a pretty good restaurant, lounge and banquet facility. Greens fees are pretty high compared to a lot of other public courses in the area, but it's worth it (I treat myself a couple of times a summer). They also have the cool GPS systems in all of the carts. The back 9 is spectacular.

Thousand Oaks Golf Club | Grand Rapids Public Golf Course

Watermark in Cascade is also a pretty nice golf course community, with not a lot of families in the neighborhood, and the course is private only (a little more hoity-toity). They also have a pool that is available to the public for a membership fee. A ton of kids at the pool though. A good buddy of mine has a membership there and I've golfed it with him a few times. The villas and homes around it all have that cedar siding stone fireplace cottagey look to them.

Watermark Country Club

Another private club/community is Centennial Country Club. It's been a long time since I've golfed there (company outing), but it's a beautiful community. I seem to remember it had a lot of retirees there.

Home Page : Centennial Country Club

Boulder Creek is another place I go to (at least once a week). They're building condos up and down the front 9 that look pretty decent. And the course is in terrific condition for a public course.

Boulder Creek Golf Club
Condos & Condominiums, • Prestwick Condominiums - Redstone Group

I've golfed just about everywhere in the Grand Rapids area and we are blessed with some of the most beautiful and affordable choices of golf around.

Last edited by magellan; 05-17-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Highland CA
493 posts, read 1,294,321 times
Reputation: 124
Default Wow!

Again, thank you for all that information. Looks like a golfers paradise!

I checked the GRAR website and was a bit disappointed to find only a few offerings. The parameters that I put in were: 3+ bedrooms, 2+ baths, a/c, fireplace and new-5 years old in Northview school district, as you suggested. I came back with only one that looked interesting, at $390,000. It's large, on two levels, and seems to have a good sized lot. But what's this ANSI square feet? It's listed as 1,700 bust must be way larger than that.

Anyway, I'm going to make a realtor earn his/her commission. No HOAs or antenna restrictions. I'll go to the local amateur radio community for the answer to that question.

Very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
8,235 posts, read 16,834,326 times
Reputation: 8905
Two places I'd have a look at inside the city limits- the Fulton Heights area northeast of Aquinas College (which is actually not really overrun with college students) is convenient to both downtown and the amenities of East Grand Rapids, and the far West Side area 'up the hill' by Highlands Golf Course/ Blandford Nature Center which has a surprisingly nice mix of housing stock that ranges from old farmhouses to modern townhouse style condos, and is a pretty easy drive to GVSU and the Alpine Ave. area shopping district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,746,616 times
Reputation: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
Again, thank you for all that information. Looks like a golfers paradise!

I checked the GRAR website and was a bit disappointed to find only a few offerings. The parameters that I put in were: 3+ bedrooms, 2+ baths, a/c, fireplace and new-5 years old in Northview school district, as you suggested. I came back with only one that looked interesting, at $390,000. It's large, on two levels, and seems to have a good sized lot. But what's this ANSI square feet? It's listed as 1,700 bust must be way larger than that.

Anyway, I'm going to make a realtor earn his/her commission. No HOAs or antenna restrictions. I'll go to the local amateur radio community for the answer to that question.

Very helpful!
The no HOAs and the antennas might be an issue in the ones I listed, but a good realtor will find the right place for you. You'll love it here.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Twin Lake, MI
5 posts, read 10,687 times
Reputation: 10
Default Are you a golfer?

The western part of Michigan is a very special place. We live on a golf course about 45 minutes from downtown Grand Rapids. We love it hear. Lots of wildlife, flowers, and a great golf course.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Highland CA
493 posts, read 1,294,321 times
Reputation: 124
Thanks, Jim. I gave up golfing some years ago after we moved to soCal, but I know that I'll want to get back into it after retiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: East Grand Rapids, MI
845 posts, read 3,018,901 times
Reputation: 236
You might also wish to look at Holland.
It's routinely listed as a top retirement destination. There's golf, water, a small city with a nice downtown and while there are plenty of families, there are (I'm certain) areas that are more alone the lines of what you've described.

Good luck! West Michigan is a great place to retire, I'm sure (and I'm told).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top