U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 PM

142 posts, read 671,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Roamer View Post
As to the city itself...... it's trying. So many people are still feeling the repercussions of all the lost manufacturing jobs in the last decade so it's going to be awhile yet before they can turn the town around.

I would love to see downtown vibrant once again.
The potential IS there.
Greetings,

Concur.

I might also add along with an abundance of recreational opportunities and many historic landmarks such as Historic Main Street, The Old Ice House and The Fighting Falcon Museum (to name a few) - Greenville has a some history worth mentioning:

Greenville is named after its founder, John Green, who settled in the wilderness of the southwest part of the Montcalm County in 1844. John Green built a sawmill on the Flat River that is credited for attracting other settlers. The newly formed Green's Village attracted many people of Danish heritage who followed another early Danish settler's positive letters home regarding the area. Because of the town's heritage, Greenville celebrates the Danish Festival every year on the third weekend of August. A post office was established on January 20, 1848, with Abel French as the first postmaster. John Green had the village platted in 1853 and it was a station on the Detroit, Grand Rapids and Western Railroad. Greenville incorporated as a village in 1867 and became a city in 1871.

Hendrik Meijer, founder of Meijer's stores, moved to Greenville after immigrating to the USA from the Netherlands. He was initially a barber, but the Great Depression and lack of a proper grocery on his side of town led him to open his own store in 1934. Meijer's corporation now operates stores throughout the Midwest.

Greenville is also home to the Fighting Falcon, the lead plane of a wave of gliders during Operation Overlord. The Falcon was purchased with funds raised by the school children of the town, and was designated the lead aircraft in recognition of this achievement.

Since the foundation of Ranney Refrigerator Co. in 1892, the town has been known as the "Refrigerator Capital of the World." It has also been home to the Gibson, White Consolidated, Frigidaire, and until recently, the Electrolux refrigerator factory. Electrolux closed the Greenville facility in early 2006. This move by a profitable factory impacted 2,700 employees and their families.

The city is now the epicentre of "green" technology with the addition of solar panel manufacturer United Solar Ovonic. (I might add its future questionable) It is also home to the brand-new manufacturing and design center of Northland Marvel, an undercounter refrigeration company that just became a part of the UK-based AgaRangemaster group. Lafayette Street, the downtown district, was placed on the National and State Register of Historic Sites in November 2008.

Thank you for your attention.

Cheers...

Last edited by Informer; 05-05-2013 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: spell check and fact check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 07:08 PM

181 posts, read 247,421 times
Well as an update, I've lived here in Greenville for 4 years now. Had to make a new profile because the other was attached to an old email that I no longer have access to. I am daddythreepointoh.

Greenville is a great little town. It's too small for my personal taste but it's been a good place to raise my kids.

I think the downtown area has held on pretty well, all things considered. There aren't that many vacancies.But the west side of town remains the most vibrant.

It's good I ended up moving, as my father (the pastor) ended up dying of brain cancer in the summer of 2010, and he lived in Greenville. So I was able to spend his last months with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area