U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:53 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,500,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooches9 View Post
Sorry to post so many questions; I'm sure you are all pretty sick of me by now! My husband and I have been ready to move for awhile now. We currently live in Fairfield County, Connecticut, and aren't very crazy about it: the area is not particularly friendly to new-comers, real estate is expensive, there's not much to do...I could go on. We have been in contact with two realtors: Grand Rapids and Manhattan (NYC), and would like to choose which one to move to soon so we can buy while the prices are still down! For some background, my husband has family in New Jersey and I have family in Michigan; my parents live in Manhattan during the year and in their cottage in Whitehall in the summers; we have seven kids, and we homeschool them, so that will play a large role in what we choose; my husband works from home, so jobs are not an issue; we are CRC and would like to find a family friendly church to attend.
We like Grand Rapids because of the low price of real estate, it's small town feel, the family oriented activities and events, and (very) friendly people. We would love to take advantage either of the abundance of land in Ada and buying a farm, or experiencing for the first time the charm of a real suburban community in East Grand Rapids. Either way we would take full advantage of our living situation and our community.

We are looking in Manhattan because of its huge convenience: it would be a wonderful place to homeschool our kids with the museums, parks, etc. However, it can be lonely in a crowd, and it would be very hard to make friends. Space is also an issue: so far the best property we've found was a four bedroom townhouse (if you knew my kids, that is a scary thought!)

Sorry this was so long. I am posting a similar thread in NYC to get a fair answer. Basically what I'm asking is: What would you do? And can you offer any advice or insight as to why Grand Rapids would be the best place to raise a family?
Definately I would choose New York City, has so much to offer, great place.

I see, I've already answered this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 02:59 PM

316 posts, read 1,081,476 times
Actually Magellan is wrong. If you take the population of the US's 5 largest cities, and divide by the total population, that alone is 6.2% of the people. (ny, LA, Chi, houston, phoenix) Obviously you could go on and add more cities into the equation or large pops, and find that a decent amount of the US resides in larger cities.
Here is a link to a neat page on New York Cities population with little facts and figures.
Population - New York City Department of City Planning

Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 AM

65 posts, read 212,497 times
My grandmother was born and raised in New Jersey. Her and my grandfather moved when my dad was in lower elementary school. So they lived there until she was in he late 20's. After living the last 50 years in the mid-west she said she would never go back to live in the east. She said the folks here are so much nicer, polite, caring and generally happier. I know New Jersey is not New York, but she lived just across the river from Manhatten and said there is not much if a difference except for the price of goods and taxes. And neither one was good anyway.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 AM

484 posts, read 1,106,093 times
Default Simple

Simply put, most of us who love living in GR/Michigan/the Midwest would hate living in NYC; meanwhile, those who love NYC probably would dread living here. Pick your poison.

Don't forget that while GR may not be as hip/cutting edge/happening as NYC, it is a great place to raise a family. If you get a big city craving, Chicago is only 3 hours away; saner than NYC but still a destination in its own right.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM

845 posts, read 3,018,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
Simply put, most of us who love living in GR/Michigan/the Midwest would hate living in NYC; meanwhile, those who love NYC probably would dread living here.
I doubt that.
It's different, but I've done both big-city living and GR-midwestern living. I don't find either of them hateful and many I've talked to have a similar opinion.

You're right though.... pick your poison. There's no way to have everything that NYC offers without paying for it (in trade-offs and dollars).

The same can be said of GR. It's great for raising a family, but that comes at a price (lack of culture, homogeneity, etc)

Old 09-02-2009, 09:47 AM

Excellent post Suydam.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,744,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
Actually Magellan is wrong. If you take the population of the US's 5 largest cities, and divide by the total population, that alone is 6.2% of the people. (ny, LA, Chi, houston, phoenix) Obviously you could go on and add more cities into the equation or large pops, and find that a decent amount of the US resides in larger cities.
Here is a link to a neat page on New York Cities population with little facts and figures.
Population - New York City Department of City Planning
Let me clarify. What most young people think of as "big city" is only a small portion of most cities in this country. Most city boundaries encompass areas that are almost suburban (low density). Especially cities in the South, that have annexed much of their suburbs/townships.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 18,346 times
I've been in Grand Rapids my whole life. It's an awesome city although it's fairly small. It's big enough for me though, I love it here.

-www.dueysdrawings.com

Old 09-14-2009, 03:30 PM

3,194 posts, read 4,805,535 times
This is an interesting thread. What a choice to have to make!

OP, not to be rude, but is your family's income enough to support 2 adults and 7 kids in Manhattan - one of the costliest locales in all the world? I'm assuming this is something you've already researched, and it sounds like your family is fairly well off if you already live in SW Connecticut and your parents have places in NYC and Whitehall.

Personally, if money were no object and you don't have to skimp on anything for the kids, I'd probably go with Manhattan. Is the 4 bedroom townhouse all you can find, or all you can afford? I'm not sure how old they are, but at least some of them are probably already used to living in the northeast. My parents moved me to the south from Michigan when I was 11, and although I know they had my best interests at heart, I did not adapt well to such a drastic change in culture and geography.

Again, if money is no object, I'd have to go with Manhattan and all it offers, but if it's cost prohibitive in any way I'd start looking hard at Grand Rapids, which is a very nice town, but obviously far less of cultural hotbed than the NY metro. I wouldn't have any qualms whatsoever about raising a family in GR, though.....in fact, it'd be very high on my list when all factors are considered.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:04 PM

Magellan I'm not sure we are just talking about young people in this thread.
With that being said, I'd choose to live in GR over New York. While lacking culture, or just having to deal with some of the same, tedious people, over and over (sort of like using tedious and over and over in the same sentence, while probably misspelling tedious) you can always travel. I think it is very important to travel if you do live in western Michigan to avoid becoming too closed off to the rest of the world.
Of course, this is summer weather time. I just spent a relaxing weekend in Michigan doing whatever I wanted, which wasn't a whole lot quite honestly. Do you want to relax and raise a family, while being able to devote extra time to doing so, or do you want to raise a family in an environment where getting groceries can, if done incorrectly, eat up your entire day..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area