U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:33 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,215,184 times

Advertisements

Wonder if the OP made a decision. I live in the NYC suburbs and have spent many summer vacations in Whitehall as my parents live there in the summer. I'm somewhat familiar with Grand Rapids. The fast pace of life in the NYC suburbs, and high cost of living, is tiresome in the NYC area.

With a family and 7 kids, and planning to homeschool, I'd definitely pick West Michigan! You can take trips to Chicago for the cultural activities (museums etc)..and you'd be able afford it with the savings in housing costs. I would guess W. MI is pretty homeschooling friendly. Though, there won't be as many activities as in NYC.

They are SO different. Good luck, and let us know if you decided!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 10:16 PM

15,996 posts, read 37,260,847 times
Wow, what a choice. I'm from MI and lived in NYC for a few years.

If you can afford it, NYC all the way. If you can't, than GR.

I think it really comes down to that bottom line.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 PM

25 posts, read 57,048 times
Default Go for Michigan!

I'd just like to say that GR would enjoy having you here and it's the type of place where it's trying to gain some momentum with development, so come one come all! For what you'd pay for nothing in NYC you'd be able to buy a real nice house in a good neighborhood. My only suggestion, live close to downtown and try to be a part of the community here. Hope to see you soon.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 PM

46 posts, read 87,234 times
I'm from GR and live near NYC (near Ffld). It seems like you know both very well so I'm not sure if anyone can provide you with information you don't already know. You probably know that it will be a million times cheaper to live in GR and a million times more exciting to live in NYC. I think you need to figure out the tiebreaker with your family. Maybe ask the kids (if you haven't already). Actually, GR has been developing a very solid arts scene over the past decade or two. It's local, but full of very dedicated artists! It's only about 4 hours from Chicago and 3 hours from Detroit museums. Have you considered Chicago-lots cheaper than NYC and has *everything* (I know nothing compares to NYC) on a smaller scale.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,742,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic9 View Post
I'm from GR and live near NYC (near Ffld). It seems like you know both very well so I'm not sure if anyone can provide you with information you don't already know. You probably know that it will be a million times cheaper to live in GR and a million times more exciting to live in NYC. I think you need to figure out the tiebreaker with your family. Maybe ask the kids (if you haven't already). Actually, GR has been developing a very solid arts scene over the past decade or two. It's local, but full of very dedicated artists! It's only about 4 hours from Chicago and 3 hours from Detroit museums. Have you considered Chicago-lots cheaper than NYC and has *everything* (I know nothing compares to NYC) on a smaller scale.
I've heard a lot of people say that Toronto is a lot more like NYC than Chicago is (more diverse, a lot more ethnic neighborhoods, a lot more dense, etc.).

Old 04-06-2010, 01:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,688 times
If you are CRC and have seven kids, you will feel quite at home in Grand Rapids which is a worldwide center for the CRC and the home of Calvin College. Though, I'm hesitant to tell you to move there because half the reason that I left GR for NYC a year ago was to escape from people like you.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:34 AM

3,095 posts, read 5,624,476 times
Quote:
half the reason that I left GR for NYC a year ago was to escape from people like you.
Is this an OK thing to say to any group of people? (Muslims, Jews, Jehovah's Witness, etc) Or is it only OK to say this to white evangelical Christians? Hmmm....

Old 04-11-2010, 09:56 PM

7,152 posts, read 7,948,457 times
Grand Rapids and NYC are almost impossible to compare. They are so different that no fair comparison can be made. However if you look at it from a standpoint of money and economic good sense, Grand Rapids is a winner hands down. If you have an income already, and can live anywhere then Grand Rapids housing cost is sooooo very cheap compared to anywhere out east let alone NYC. Your bang for your housing buck is far greater in Michigan than in NYC. Therefor your standard of living will be so much higher. Cheap house in Grand Rapids means more $$$$$ in your pocket to spend. Take some vacations to NYC, since youll be able to afford them with the savings!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw1234 View Post
If you are CRC and have seven kids, you will feel quite at home in Grand Rapids which is a worldwide center for the CRC and the home of Calvin College. Though, I'm hesitant to tell you to move there because half the reason that I left GR for NYC a year ago was to escape from people like you.
Totally agree with you. Although to be honest, its worth putting up with in Grand Rapids. Its such a great city.

but they're not all bad. I have many great friends that are CRC or conservative or liberals. Its the people that express it out to the public [like my ex girlfriend who was a CRC conservative and that's why we broke up].

Just be like me, and like people for who they are. Keep your religion and political views to yourself and be respectful to others. Then its all good :]

Old 06-11-2010, 11:35 PM

6 posts, read 9,370 times
I have been born and raised in GR, and i would definitely recommend it. I have heard that i am well-adjusted (no i don't have a big head, just trying to uplift a city's reputation) and while Grand Rapids can have a 'city' feel, there are also areas where you feel like you are in a small town, as you said. There are also lots of opportunities for friends for your kids, too. I would know, (don't laugh) i'm 13. I volunteer at my library and take tennis lessons from GR's program, 'tennis in the park' and i always meet up with people at random places. Great people! Come live in my city (=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area