U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 PM

12 posts, read 28,397 times

Advertisements

Hi all – I wrote an email a while stating that I was probably going to be moving to GR for a job relocation…
Well, the time has finally come. I’m looking for some apartment recommendations for those who have some experience within the area. My wish list would be as follows:

-Nearby or within walking distance of restaurants, shops, things to do, etc
- Non-college, yet young professional would be ideal
-Safe
-Nice amenities, but this is something I could compromise on certain areas – ideally a w/d, parking, somewhere that is just overall nice, modern living area would be great

I would really appreciate any recc’s from people who have experience – even areas to start my search would be great. I’m thinking downtown may be a good bet. As always, this is much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 8,607 times
I'll be watching this thread closely as I'm about to accept a job in GR and will likely be moving there soon. I find the sites that have "customer" reviews of local apartments to be hard to weed through. Some sound like people venting due to sour grapes (are they exaggerating?), and some sound as if apartment employees are writing them! It'd be nice to get some good feedback on places that have historically had good things said about them from those in the area.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 AM

845 posts, read 3,018,325 times
If you want to be within walking distance of places and you're single, I'd recommend downtown Grand Rapids, or Heritage Hill (which is just next to downtown).

Problem is, there aren't a ton of amenities to be had. Heritage Hill is primarily 100-year-old home cut into apartments. Downtown is a mix of lofts and mid-rise buildings, some of which have amenities but they're not like moving to a complex with a pool and a health club.

I notice you also asked for a "nice, modern living area" so I guess I'll amend my suggestion for you, but leave it in print for others. Heritage Hill is not modern, but it's very nice.

Downtown will have some modern stuff (Hopson Flats, Icon on Bond, Boardwalk (http://www.theboardwalk.org/ap.asp - broken link)(though this may be switching to condos) and Hilmount (same... may be all condos) are all nice and newly remodeled downtown residences where you'll find single 20-somethings and 30-somethings walking around town and generally enjoying urban life.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 34,577 times
The first place I would look is the plaza towers apartments. They are in the high rise downtown right by the river, and share the building with the Marriot hotel. It would be very modern and upscale feel. You would park in a secure parking ramp. I checked about 5 years ago and you could get a 700sq ft studio for $700 I think it was. The views are amazing though. I am not crazy about heritage hill area, I just don't like old run down drafty houses. I appreciate the architecture, but hate living in them. I am sure there are lots of other places down town, but not sure where they are, cause I moved out to kentwood, to a really nice appartment complex. The appartments were nothing special really, they were built around 1980, but had all new carpet paint and appliances when we moved in. It all the appartments are on a pond, and the employees were really helpfull and freindly. We were going to get a 1 br for $450 but the appartment we were supposed get was not ready in time so they gave a two bedroom for the same price! Oh this is Sandy Shore appartments.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 AM

139 posts, read 289,257 times
I'm a big fan of the Boardwalk condo complex. I think they do some private renting, although mostly it's for purchase. They have a bar, a gym, restaurant...plus, it's within walking distance to the downtown nightlife.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:51 AM

65 posts, read 212,475 times
I read your post about advice for moving to GR and followed it over to here. In all honesty for a single lady of your age wanting a safe place to live and be close to amenities, I would consider moving to Grandville which is roughly 10 minuets from downtown GR. You can find condo's or apartments within biking distance and it is the new happening place for a plethora of restaurants and shops. It has a new what I call "giga-mall" in Rivertown crossings that is a huge attraction and within a mile of that mall is all sorts of resteraunts and strip malls. Granville is cleaner and safer than GR. (Not that down town GR is Detroit or anything). But GR is seeing its share of crime sprees and gang violence spike up again.

Good luck.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,962 times
Just wanted to ask you how the move to Grand Rapids has gone with all the information that has been provided.

I am soon moving to Grand Rapids for a job with a home office, so your questions have been right on point regarding my situation. Any updates or suggestions for a 24 year old single male? Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area