U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 05:37 AM

808 posts, read 2,970,931 times

Advertisements

Anyone in the GR area using this cellphone service? Any pros and cons? Wife has been on Verizon for 8 years and was wondering about this company. Some of their plans offers a lot more for less. I have a BB through work (ATT) so it will be for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 13,847 times
Do you ever remember that old saying that if it seems too good to be true then chances are it is? That would be the case with Metro PCS. I would only recommend Metro PCS if you could not get a phone or service through Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Nextel, T-Mobile (which is the easy company to get a cell phone through).

They (Metro PCS) will make you purchase their phones for their service plans. My sister needed a phone but hates contract commitments. The first thing you have to be careful of is that one day the price of a phone may be $90 and the next day it will be $29 because they are having a special. A special none of their representatives will be willing to tell you about because they get a cut of whatever they make off selling to you. They tell you to test out your phone and if you don't like it bring it back and exchange it. What that translates to in MetroPCS terms is that you are allowed to test the phone but DON'T talk for more than 60 minutes on that phone otherwise they won't buy their phone back and they certainly won't give you the difference if the price of the phone drops drastically.

My sister was out of 90 bucks for a phone that was 29 dollars less than 24 hours later. (She had gone in the next day to find a case to fit her phone into.) She had used 62 minutes which is clearly 2 minutes more than the 60 minutes that the sales person did not bother to warn her about not going over. Clearly this is a lesson to her about reading before you sign on the dotted line for anything. They will make you sign a contract which they say is just procedure in order to obtain the phone and authorize them to give you a cell phone number. It basically states that you are getting a pay-as-you-go phone at whatever package price that you agree to and that it will be for one year that the price will stay the same. (Anyone else thinks this sounds like a contract?)

As for the service quality...

The phone service may sound clear on your end but it will be pure static on the other end at times to those conversing with you. I remember talking to my sister and wondering if she was traveling under a bridge whenever she would call me. I had not been the only one to complain to her about the inablity to hear her. In and around Grand Rapids its hit and miss on the signal for that phone. Calls will drop without notice and there is the possibility that you can call and the phone won't ring. (We tested this out sitting right next to one another after I complained to my sister that I was tired of her pretending as if she wasn't getting my phone calls) Some calls will go through others won't, you will get a response saying the person is out of calling range. (Clearly if she is sitting right next to me in her house, she's not out of the calling range.)

If you try using the phone around Rivertown Crossings or various places in Grandville make sure you stand outside away from the doors and hold your phone up for a few to pick up a signal. If you are lucky you may get a bar or two to appear. Downtown Grand Rapids you are likely to get 2 or 3 bars but that still varies.

My suggestion to you is to be very careful about the standard "contract" that you sign. Granted they say they don't do contracts and they are offering you all these services but what they don't tell you is that all those services will cost you depending on the service you are interested in. The final straw for my sister came when she was told that she would get 1 month free for spending over so much money on her phone. They didn't give her the month free, sent a bill out to her requesting money!! She informed them that she was told she would get 1 month free but Metro PCS informed her that wasn't so and since she didn't get it in writing because she was told it was part of a promotion she was screwed, so beware!!

She contacted MetroPCS through the district manager's number to let them know that she was dissatisfied with their service and would not be paying to have more minutes added to her phone. (Metro PCS loves automated systems and figures that after 15 minutes of an automated system you will hang up before you ever reach a customer service rep. Don't believe me? Call there customer service contact number and see for yourself.) They still charged her for a month service even though she had cancelled the phone and on top of that they added a late fee charge because she didn't pay for a month of service. But remember Metro PCS prides itself on being a prepaid phone service, right?

If I were you I would stick with a company where you can actually reach the customer service and there are no hidden fees for terminating your "contract" early. Out of AT&T or Verizon I am particle to AT&T for obvious reasons but I hear people who absolutely love Verizon. Hopefully I helped you somehow. My sister's situation may have been an isolated one but I would rather you have all the facts before getting screwed over by Metro PCS the way that my sister was.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 PM

1,426 posts, read 2,655,507 times
Look at Straight Talk. It's administered by Tracfone and runs on Verizon's network. No contracts and a lot cheaper. Only downside is limited phone selections. Been using it a few months now ... no problems.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,856 times
umm i have a question. soo if i a buy a metro phone nd the next day i take it back because i didnt like it would they exchange it for me for a different one and would i be able to pay the difference in whatever phone i wanted?? pllzzz helpp?/;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or