U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM

274 posts, read 570,855 times

Advertisements

I posted this over in the Detroit area also (//www.city-data.com/forum/detro...-how-much.html) but want the opinions of the Grand Rapids people. As I research more, the GR area is more appealing to me.

OK so here is my situation. I moved away from S.E. Michigan (about 25 mins south of Ann Arbor) back in 05'. I was born and raised in Michigan and spent the first 30 years of my life there. I have since become extremely home sick!! I am planning a move back to MI as soon as I can.

My question is, how much in savings would you have before moving back?

I plan on moving back to possibly the Grand Rapids area as soon as I can. I am a single guy and the only bills I have are my cell phone which is $40 a month, and I pay my car insurance 12 months in advance. I have zero loans out and no credit cards. So my phone is my only bill.

I work in I.T. doing Networking, and recently have been working in the Telecommunications industry for the past 15 months. I am also studying Network Security. I have quite a few advanced certifications and over 11 years of total I.T. experience.

I was thinking about waiting till I have about $20,000-$28,000 in cash if I go back without a job. Which I am about 70% of the way towards the larger number. If I get a job offer anytime soon, I would be out of here so fast everyone's head would turn!! I currently live in Atlanta and ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!! I miss the seasons and I never thought I would say it... I miss the SNOW!!

I would hope that with my experience and skills that I should be able to find a job in my field within a 12-18 months. I want some locals advice please...

Oh and by the way... If you plan on saying anything negative about any of the surrounding areas, or MI in general, PLEASE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!

GO BLUE, and dang it...LETS GO LIONS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 AM

845 posts, read 3,018,657 times
Honestly, I would have a job or my full retirement savings before moving back.

If you're just coming no matter what, I'd have 12 months of expenses (house, car, food, utilities, clothes for winter since you're in Atlanta where it's warm, etc.) before you come.

Truth be told, if you're in IT, the job market isn't too bad. It might not take a year if you're not too picky.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks Suydam... Is that your last name? My mother maiden name was Suydam from Dundee, MI.

But I kept all my winter coats when I moved since I still visited there a few times.

My car is paid off, I have ZERO loans or credit cards. I am hoping I can make it with $30,000 in cash. That's money I will have saved up doesn't count my tax returns and the bonus we get at work. With both of those combined also, that should add about another $4,000-$6,000.

I am seeing quite a few job opening there that I qualify for... I know the competition is brutal, but I have some good credentials and letters of recommendation. I definitely will NOT be too picky as far as jobs go!! I just want to get back home to the BEAUTIFUL state of MICHIGAN!!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:38 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,744,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_Snow View Post
Thanks Suydam... Is that your last name? My mother maiden name was Suydam from Dundee, MI.

But I kept all my winter coats when I moved since I still visited there a few times.

My car is paid off, I have ZERO loans or credit cards. I am hoping I can make it with $30,000 in cash. That's money I will have saved up doesn't count my tax returns and the bonus we get at work. With both of those combined also, that should add about another $4,000-$6,000.

I am seeing quite a few job opening there that I qualify for... I know the competition is brutal, but I have some good credentials and letters of recommendation. I definitely will NOT be too picky as far as jobs go!! I just want to get back home to the BEAUTIFUL state of MICHIGAN!!
If you're that good with money and are qualified, (and as personable as you are on here), I'd hire you in a New York minute.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:57 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,952,661 times
I think you would be just fine. If you want to come home that badly, and are willing to work hard to find a job and not be too picky, I would say come on home!! Times are tough...real tough, but there are jobs to be had out there.
Good luck!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
If you're that good with money and are qualified, (and as personable as you are on here), I'd hire you in a New York minute.
Thanks Magellan... Much appreciated! I can honestly say that my attitude and personality come from my humble upbringings in MI.

Michmoldman... Thanks... and Yes I do want to come home that BADLY!! I truly do not like the South at all!! Florida was nice don't get me wrong, but there aren't that many jobs there and the weather always being the same gets old after a while! I will definitely be going back there for vacations etc... but not to live. And YES I will take whatever job I have to just to get settled back in...

And here in GA... It's GOD AWFUL!! Too many people are stuck back in time. Never met so many close-minded prejudice people in my life... I have met some 20-30 yr olds from the Midwest and Northeast who fly confederate flags from their house or cars and they don't have an ounce of Southern blood in them. That really upsets me, especially since I have really close friends from all races and religions. I truly don't fit in here at all... I was raised to not judge anyone by their looks but by their actions.

So I will be back in MI no later than the first week of June. I'll keep everyone updated on my PROGRESS and SUCCESS because I will NOT accept failure as an option!!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:13 AM

484 posts, read 1,106,093 times
Good luck to you! You'll love Grand Rapids! Let us know when you move so we can say "Welcome Home".

Old 10-14-2009, 11:14 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,469,657 times
Quote:
Thanks Magellan... Much appreciated! I can honestly say that my attitude and personality come from my humble upbringings in MI.

Michmoldman... Thanks... and Yes I do want to come home that BADLY!! I truly do not like the South at all!! Florida was nice don't get me wrong, but there aren't that many jobs there and the weather always being the same gets old after a while! I will definitely be going back there for vacations etc... but not to live. And YES I will take whatever job I have to just to get settled back in...

And here in GA... It's GOD AWFUL!! Too many people are stuck back in time. Never met so many close-minded prejudice people in my life... I have met some 20-30 yr olds from the Midwest and Northeast who fly confederate flags from their house or cars and they don't have an ounce of Southern blood in them. That really upsets me, especially since I have really close friends from all races and religions. I truly don't fit in here at all... I was raised to not judge anyone by their looks but by their actions.

So I will be back in MI no later than the first week of June. I'll keep everyone updated on my PROGRESS and SUCCESS because I will NOT accept failure as an option!!
I don't know what part of metro Atlanta you reside in, but it sounds like a different planet from the one I live in.

Painting with an overly broad brush here, don't you think?

BTW, I saw a couple of Confederate flags in Northern Kent County. Still loved the area.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Painting with an overly broad brush here, don't you think?
I was just stating MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, and I should have put that in there... I didn't mean to group everyone who lives here in the same category, and I am sorry if I offended you. I know a lot of people who live here and love it... I am just not one of them.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,469,657 times
Quote:
I was just stating MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, and I should have put that in there... I didn't mean to group everyone who lives here in the same category, and I am sorry if I offended you. I know a lot of people who live here and love it... I am just not one of them.
No, you didn't offend me at all. I just can't get over how the experience you have had sounds nothing at all like my experience here - it sounds like a different place entirely. But I do live ITP, and I just noticed your location says South of Atlanta - HUGE difference.

Hope things work out for you. You certainly picked a nice city to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or