U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:57 AM

3,095 posts, read 5,625,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Does anyone know how bad unemployment is in the GR area? I know overall Michigan unemployment is pretty scary.

What's the employment scene like in western Michigan?

Is it McDonald's or forget it?
Unemployment in the Grand Rapids area is not as bad as the state as a whole, but it is still around 11%. On a national scale, the unemployment situation in Grand Rapids is pretty close to "average", or maybe slightly worse. There are jobs available, but the competition is tough.

I'll give you a link to my favorite website for perusing jobs in the G.R. area. Nearly all are "legit." A lot of the national job-search sites seem to be full of garbage and scams, but this is a decent one. It can at least give you an idea of what types of jobs are available. Of course, there are probably many other jobs that aren't posted here too, especially the big box retail jobs, fast food jobs, etc. But, here you go:

Jobs in grand rapids - MLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 AM

14 posts, read 31,465 times
Default The Right Place

Just wanted to say, on further research, found a great website about Grand Rapids called The Right Place. It's terrific!!1 Tells all about businesses enhancing the perceptions about West Michigan and bringing businesses in. And also cost of living comparison on electric. NJ is 120.4 GR is 104. I think that's doable for me and for businesses. The wesite has increased my confidence that my son and his GF will find a very good job market with forward looking businesses that they can grow with. I'm so relieved because I feel I can afford GR and that it'll be a great place to live. Now all I have to do is convince the young folks. I dread it. But I feel I have the best choice. One that they will eventually feel has benefitted them and their future.

Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with me and giving me encouragement about how good it is there in GR. You kept me from just giving in and making a decision to go to Seattle that just felt wrong to me. This decision feels very right. Whew!!!!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 PM

25 posts, read 57,059 times
Glad to hear it! Yea, let's convince the young folks...but hey some people (like me) have to get away so they can come back.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 AM

73 posts, read 256,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthmuse View Post
It's come down to Seattle vs Grand Rapids. And I'm leaning heavily toward GR.

Two things worry me 1) 90 too 110 inches of snow. That's a lot of snow. Whew!!
and

actually according to this same site GR averages 73in a year, making it 16th snowiest city in the country but still less than Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse NY and considerable less than was quoted above

Old 02-25-2010, 05:38 PM

356 posts, read 933,981 times
Come on down and check the town out before you commit to anything. You've done the research, now its time for a field trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area