Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 7,297 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!
I found a job in Grand Rapids, and will be moving up there in few months. I know the weather is really bad up there, so I'm debating if I should get a subaru outback to replace my rear wheel driving VW passat. Can anyone share any details regarding the road condition in Grand Rapids during winter? I don't want to get a high riding SUV or crossover if possible.
Also, I am debating if I should get a condo up there. I know for a fact that I will be there for more than 2 years, so it might be a smart decision. But on the other hand, I also heard that is really hard to sell a condo in Michigan once I acquire it.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
-Kirius
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 07:32 PM

810 posts, read 3,305,300 times
One of the neighbors has a Passat...didn't see him have a problem driving it in the winter time. You should be fine with it on the main roads and highways, since it gets plowed first.

There's plenty of condos for sale and you should land a good deal on it. I wouldn't buy a condo unless I would stay for at least 3 years or if you have a good down payment. Check out grar.com for listings of condos or homes for sale.

Good luck on your move to GR!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Winter driving is as much about the stop as it is about the go. As long as you live close in where they plow regularly and have a car with ABS, you don't need to worry about AWD/4WD or high clearance. (Though I really do like my Outback wagon and think it's a great vehicle)

As for a condo, even in relatively good years, the break even time frame for buying v. renting tends to be about five years, so I'd probably rent if you're only going to be there for two.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:50 PM

358 posts, read 1,062,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirius View Post
Can anyone share any details regarding the road condition in Grand Rapids during winter?
It will be snowy and slippery on many days. You should not have problems with a Passat, although you may want to get all weather tires if you have older worn tires. The key to winter driving is slow down early. Also stay in the tracks of others and don't drive through piles of snow. Its not that hard.

You should rent first and figure out which part of the city suits you before buying anything.

Another hint: winter is awesome if you don't have to drive. If you can live within walking distance of work, winter is a lot more fun.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:20 PM

274 posts, read 627,555 times
Congrats on the job!! I am looking to move back to MI and looking at the GR area.

If you don't mind me asking, what field do you work in? How did you get this job.. A recruiter, applying online, knew someone who works there?

I work in I.T. as a Network/Telephony Engineer and I am also studying Network Security. I want to get out of this state of GA that I hate so much as soon as I can.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:48 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
There are two awesome new apartment projects that will be opening in 2010 that you should check out. 38 Commerce and Gallery on Fulton. Both are right downtown, actually only a few steps from each other.

I think with both you get covered parking.

38 | Downtown Grand Rapids | Apartments | Condominiums | Office | Restaurant | Retail | LEED Certified | Thirty-Eight

Links on "The Gallery" | Facebook

Old 12-20-2009, 02:55 PM

845 posts, read 3,270,532 times
Welcome to Michigan. I would never describe the weather as bad in the winter.... it's one of the most fun times of the year! For that reason, you may wish to consider an AWD car like the Outback or a Fusion.

While everyone else on here is correct, RWD is fine in the winter, stopping is harder than starting, etc.... in the end, I've found that having a car with AWD gives you the confidence to really enjoy this time of year. Since "this time of year" can legitimately last 5 months, I think it's worth the premium price.

Example: When you decide you need a weekend away, and the roads are horrible, and the snow's coming down, it's nice to still be able to drive up north to ski, or down south to escape!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
I don't know that you need to invest in an AWD vehicle. A front wheel drive with new tires every winter will do just fine (if you put 15 - 20,000 miles on a year).

Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 PM

13 posts, read 28,683 times
Hummer H2?

Old 12-26-2009, 11:31 PM

6 posts, read 7,297 times
Wow
thanks for everyone's reply. I was reallly busy for the past few weeks so I never got a chance to reply to this thread.
Looks like the consensus here is that I dont really need a AWD car for the winter, so I might just buy a front wheel drive sedan instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
View detailed profiles of: