U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,375 times

Advertisements

Hi, I recently took a job in Holland and will be relocating there. I am a 26, single guy looking for a one bedroom apartment. Any suggestions on where to live? I would like to be close to some entertainment and bars but not have too far of a drive to work (30 min or less, shorter if possible). Are there any places in Holland to live or would I have to live in the SW side of GR. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 13,595 times
I live in Zeeland ,a small town clean ,you might want to look in that area to live,but you can still get out to the nightlife etc fairly quick-good luck

Old 12-24-2009, 09:14 AM

31 posts, read 36,539 times
I would be with you if you ment Holland Europe, but Holland MI? Ugggh.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:01 PM

356 posts, read 933,713 times
Look around the Hope College area, there are apartments and shared houses available, not too far from downtown.

Google Maps

Old 12-28-2009, 07:51 PM

845 posts, read 3,018,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy0202 View Post
Hi, I recently took a job in Holland and will be relocating there. I am a 26, single guy looking for a one bedroom apartment. Any suggestions on where to live? I would like to be close to some entertainment and bars but not have too far of a drive to work (30 min or less, shorter if possible). Are there any places in Holland to live or would I have to live in the SW side of GR. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
Holland isn't a great place to be a single 26-year-old, just my opinion.

I would advise you to consider living in Grand Rapids and just accepting the commute. At least GR offers a social net of clubs, groups, activities, etc that are a little more single-friendly than what you'll find in Holland.

The commute would be bearable if you lived downtown in GR (35 minutes), and you'd have the benefit of meeting people in GR and building up a social circle there.

If you end up wanting that shorter commute, Holland is great. I'd look for rentals above downtown or in the homes near Hope College. Many of them are split into apartments (check to see if they rent to college kids though... that might not be a great scene if you've got a 9-5 job).

Good luck! Welcome to West Michigan!

Old 12-28-2009, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 15,183 times
I work in Zeeland ( Suburb of Holland ) and they are both very conservative places. There is a very small night life in Holland, GR has a great night life. You should actually try both out they are 30 mins apart. You will have no trouble finding a bunch of affordable places to stay, that should be the least of your worries. Basicly if you want alot of parting in a variety of clubs GR is it, Holland will give you a few bars but driving is a must ( in almost all cases ). Figure out what is more important parting or a small comute.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,214,906 times
If you like to work out, I hear Grand Rapids has a great facility called Michigan Athletic Club.
Holland has a really nice indoor pool complex if you're into swimming.
I'd love living by the beach, but the others may be right that it'd be boring socially for a mid-20something.
I've only visited these places, so that's all I can add. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 PM

845 posts, read 3,018,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
If you like to work out, I hear Grand Rapids has a great facility called Michigan Athletic Club.
Holland has a really nice indoor pool complex if you're into swimming.
I'd love living by the beach, but the others may be right that it'd be boring socially for a mid-20something.
I've only visited these places, so that's all I can add. Good luck!
There are a plehtora of gyms in GR, not just the Michigan Athletic Club (The MAC).. in fact that's an older one in East Grand Rapids.

If you end up downtown, there's a gorgeous YMCA and the MVP Metro Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area