U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,742,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddythreepointoh View Post
Thank you SO MUCH for this post, and thanks to everyone else too! Very helpful.

My oldest is currently in 1st grade, my middle in pre-school, and my youngest is 3. So knowing about safety and the better schools and how to get into them is just perfect.

Anyone have info on the neighborhoods south of Wealthy? We saw some good places just west of EGR...
I think you're talking about Indian Village. Was it a lot of nice brick homes on winding streets? That area is beautiful. I have a few friends in that area that love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 04:05 PM

428 posts, read 718,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I think you're talking about Indian Village. Was it a lot of nice brick homes on winding streets? That area is beautiful. I have a few friends in that area that love it.
I don't know about the actual neighborhood, just know the pics of the houses...

Didn't know GR has an Indian Village too! The one in Detroit is beautiful, but...well...it's in Detroit.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I don't know about the actual neighborhood, just know the pics of the houses...

Didn't know GR has an Indian Village too! The one in Detroit is beautiful, but...well...it's in Detroit.
Wow, I'm embarrassed. It's actually called Ottawa Hills (I knew it was an Indian name).

http://www.cridata.org/Profile_hoods_GR.aspx?HID=24

Old 01-10-2010, 08:21 PM

8,228 posts, read 16,828,129 times
There is an area of GR known as Indian Village that's a 1950-80s suburban-looking area out toward Ottawa Hills High School.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 AM

484 posts, read 1,105,996 times
Quote:
Anyone have info on the neighborhoods south of Wealthy? We saw some good places just west of EGR...
Are you talking about Eastown? It's a pretty cool, hip/trendy, urban area. Many of the homes are quite large for the price and it has a very active neighborhood association. You'll be okay in this area until you reach Fuller, at which point areas south of Wealthy take a turn.

Also bordering EGR is the Ottawa Hills neighborhood. What's interesting about that area is that all the homes are brick and sit on large lots. The neighborhood is characterized by its windy roads. It is a phenomenal area but has some of the most expensive houses in the city.

Indian Village, like another poster mentioned is the area of newer homes south of Burton, between Ottawa Hills High School and Breton. Homes in that area are slightly on the more expensive side and the area has a more suburban feel to it.

An area that the OP may want to consider is Alger Heights. There are some very nice homes in that area for a good price.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks all! Still looking...drove around today and did NOT like what I saw...maybe it's because its winter but even places along Wealthy and other neighborhoods in midtown, eastown ect. were truthfully underwhelming...kinda crappy looking to be frank. The Heritage Hill neighborhood has some beautiful homes but even there everything seemed to me to have a rather grimy, dirty feel...???? I'm kinda surprised because I'm coming from Metro DETROIT for crying out loud and everyone has always described GR as a pretty town...

Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 AM

749 posts, read 2,152,590 times
I never lived in GR, but would drive down 84th st/ Byron Center exit east off of 131 to go to work and I was impressed with that neighborhood. Brand new soccer fields, schools, some really nice homes of all sizes, nice area.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks all! Still looking...drove around today and did NOT like what I saw...maybe it's because its winter but even places along Wealthy and other neighborhoods in midtown, eastown ect. were truthfully underwhelming...kinda crappy looking to be frank. The Heritage Hill neighborhood has some beautiful homes but even there everything seemed to me to have a rather grimy, dirty feel...???? I'm kinda surprised because I'm coming from Metro DETROIT for crying out loud and everyone has always described GR as a pretty town...
Heritage Hill, Cherry Hill, Eastown, Uptown, East Hills incorporate a huge area, and vary in housing upkeep from one street to the next. It really depends on what streets you were checking out. Keep in mind these homes are 100 years old and older, have wood siding (per historic preservation guidelines) and are ghastly expensive to maintain.

There are areas just North and South of Wealthy Street, near Diamond, Eastern, etc. that are in transition (best way to put it), and aren't in the historic districts.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 AM

484 posts, read 1,105,996 times
Quote:
The center city area you've seen have come a long way in a short amount of time and have a very bright future as a lot of younger, urban professionals take ownership. I can remember a time in the late 80s and early 90s when Wealthy Street was on par with some of the worst streets in Detroit. That is not the case anymore.

The housing stock is old. Many of the areas you've seen are recently designated historic districts or are in the processing of becoming one.

Are you looking for a more suburban feel? You may like an area down Pearl, near John Ball Park Zoo.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think we have decided not to live in GR proper, or even the local burbs. Probably looking between Rockford and Greenville, as I have a lot of family in the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area