U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:18 PM

6 posts, read 6,518 times

Advertisements

Hi - My husband and I are relocating to GR from NY. We would like to rent a place and try to start a family. It would be great if you could suggest neighborhoods with the following criterias:

quite and safe
family oriented
dog friendly
not too far from GR (less than 15 miles)
Prefer newer or renovated properties, but not a deal breaker
Suburban area (not in the middle of wilderness)

I've browsed around and East GR seems to be a great place but don't see many listings for rentals. Also, since we don't have kids yet we're not concerned with the school district.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM

808 posts, read 2,970,532 times
Good places to start: Forest Hills and EGR schools, both is located next to GR on the east side. We live in FH schools with a bike trail system that goes on for miles. It's a dog friendly area.

Did you check out grar.com Check for the residential rental search on the left side. You can search by schools, house size, etc.

Welcome to West Michigan!

Last edited by mich2fla; 01-25-2010 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 PM

8,870 posts, read 17,739,660 times
There's a new fairly nice rental complex on Spaulding near Fulton Drive in the Forest Hills area. Stone Falls I think? But if you're trying to "start a family" (I assume meaning you don't have kids and won't need schools for five years), you might want to look at renting in Heritage Hill in the city.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,941 times
Byron Center is a nice area with a connecting bike trail and a new highway not far from the city. Still rural but feels like a city.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 AM

845 posts, read 3,018,179 times
EGR is fantastic, but there aren't many rentals, your search was correct.

You might consider calling a local realtor. Most of what rents in EGR are homes that are also for sale but have been sitting on the market in the current recession. Realtors would know where those are.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM

8,218 posts, read 16,823,026 times
If schools aren't an issue, there are some very suburban and safe parts on the fringes of Grand Rapids proper- going around the map- the neighborhoods bordering East Grand Rapids on the east, south of 28th Street, west of Walker Ave/Covell Ave, and north of about 3 Mile Road.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:47 PM

18 posts, read 28,546 times
The Standale/Walker area is really nice (where I live). If you look at the zip code on a map (49534) it's still called Grand Rapids, but we have our own school district - Kenowa Hills Public Schools - which is much, much better than GR public. Most of the houses have large properties (1/2 an acre and up), and because it's mostly post WW2 development, it doesn't feel like a suburb in the traditional, McMansion sense. The downside is that its not really a neighborly sort of place; it's not very walkable and there isn't a real downtown. The upside is being within 10 minutes of downtown GR, being close to fantastic parks like Blandford Nature Center and Millenium Park, still having access to Grand Rapids public transportation (the bus system comes here), and having good schools. We're also close to the Fruit Ridge area, which is still all rural - mostly orchards. It's kind of fun. Go 10 minutes one way, you're in an urban district with clubs, big art scene, museums, etc. Go 10 minutes the other way and you're looking at good old fashion rural midwest .

Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 PM

5 posts, read 13,609 times
Actually, academically Grand Rapids public was rated pretty high, no way I would send my kid there though!
Sparta, Rockford, Kenowa Hills, Ada, Byron Center, Forest Hills, Grandville, Cascade, and Wyoming come to mind.
Personally I would avoid E. Grand Rapids, you pay alot for what you get, Sparta is a nice town but the taxes are more than E. Grand Rapids, my choice would probably be Byron Center, they have a lot of tax money and business' that have moved in because of the M6 interchange and the population has not caught up yet.
Or you can rent my house in Sparta as I am moving my family to Texas due to a job opportunity.
Andy

Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM

14 posts, read 31,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
Good places to start: Forest Hills and EGR schools, both is located next to GR on the east side. We live in FH schools with a bike trail system that goes on for miles. It's a dog friendly area.

Did you check out grar.com Check for the residential rental search on the left side. You can search by schools, house size, etc.

Welcome to West Michigan!
I checked this website out and the only house for rent they had listed was 2,200 a month with 5 bedrooms. Very pricey and huge. Imagine the heating bill.

There's lots more stuff on Craigslist, but these days I've heard you have to be careful of people whose houses are in foreclosure and are renting them out illegally. The article I read said you had to call the bank that held the mortgage on the house to find out its status before you rented. Otherwise you might find yourself without a place to live on short notice.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:57 PM

808 posts, read 2,970,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthmuse View Post
I checked this website out and the only house for rent they had listed was 2,200 a month with 5 bedrooms. Very pricey and huge. Imagine the heating bill.

There's lots more stuff on Craigslist, but these days I've heard you have to be careful of people whose houses are in foreclosure and are renting them out illegally. The article I read said you had to call the bank that held the mortgage on the house to find out its status before you rented. Otherwise you might find yourself without a place to live on short notice.
I just checked, here's 12 listings of rentals on GRAR selecting Forest Hills schools and nothing else. It range from $800/month to $5,000/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area