U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 PM

172 posts, read 424,109 times

Advertisements

I want to take a quick weekend away ( i currently live in the Lansing area) to do some snowshoeing and maybe some cross country skiing. What areas would you recommend near Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids or maybe even north of Lansing. Anywhere really within 3 hours of Lansing would be ideal. Want somewhere not crowed like a state park or trails where we can go either during the day or at night. We have our own gear so that is not an issue. We do use our local parks often but it only take an hour or so to cover most of the trails around here. We want somewhere we can go for a few hours at a time. Any suggestion would be great. Or how about ski resorts that offer xcountry trails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM

550 posts, read 1,876,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadejoe View Post
I want to take a quick weekend away ( i currently live in the Lansing area) to do some snowshoeing and maybe some cross country skiing. What areas would you recommend near Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids or maybe even north of Lansing. Anywhere really within 3 hours of Lansing would be ideal. Want somewhere not crowed like a state park or trails where we can go either during the day or at night. We have our own gear so that is not an issue. We do use our local parks often but it only take an hour or so to cover most of the trails around here. We want somewhere we can go for a few hours at a time. Any suggestion would be great. Or how about ski resorts that offer xcountry trails?
within 3 hours?! head up to Black Mountain Recreation area! beautiful ski trails...it is in cheboygan and I can get you a website when I'm home from work.
It is a beautiful area!!!!!!

okay I am sure there are many state parks closer to you that would work, someone else can recommend them Cheboygan State Park has some great ski trails, that is where I learned to xcountry ski.........
let us know where you end up going!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 AM

845 posts, read 3,018,325 times
Wilderness State Park is great. They have winter cabins for rent too, so you can snowshoe in, live in a cabin for a few days, snowshoe out.

Done it. Great trip.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
Wilderness State Park is great. They have winter cabins for rent too, so you can snowshoe in, live in a cabin for a few days, snowshoe out.

Done it. Great trip.
can ski in too

I LOVE wilderness (former employer )

Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 PM

where is Wilderness State park located? sounds like a great spot. I like the idea of being able to ski in to a cabin.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadejoe View Post
where is Wilderness State park located? sounds like a great spot. I like the idea of being able to ski in to a cabin.
It is Carp Lake, or basically Mackinaw City area....just west-ish

At Cheboygan State park you can ski into a cabin too
I have had wonderful experiences at both parks!

Wilderness State Park Detail

Cheboygan State Park Detail

Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 PM

808 posts, read 2,970,721 times
Here in Grand Rapids, check out Indian Trails Golf Course...corner of 28th street and Kalamazoo. You can probably xc ski the whole course in about 1 to 1.5 hrs.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:05 PM

looks like we will be heading to the allegan area. found some trails there and we like the fact that it isn't too far. While Wilderness SP looks fantastic it's a bit too far for this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area