U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 PM

8 posts, read 14,291 times

Advertisements

I've seen "Unsalted" but any locals that can clue a SoCal guy in on things?

Should I even bother bringing my shortboards (heard they don't float so well in the freshwater)?

Does it have to be stormy for a swell to form or can you get the occasional nice summer day session?

What thickness wetsuit(s)?

anything else you want to add is appreciated....

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:06 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,739,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthpost View Post
I've seen "Unsalted" but any locals that can clue a SoCal guy in on things?

Should I even bother bringing my shortboards (heard they don't float so well in the freshwater)?

Does it have to be stormy for a swell to form or can you get the occasional nice summer day session?

What thickness wetsuit(s)?

anything else you want to add is appreciated....

thanks
You might check with these guys:

Great Lakes Surfer Magazine

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 PM

356 posts, read 933,621 times
Generally the curl does not last long, it will run maybe 50 feet at the most. The best waves are during storms. I have had the best luck with bodyboards and inflatable mats during the summer.

The thing around here is kitesurfing, because there is usually good wind and there are plenty of 4 to 6 foot waves to jump off from.

Yes, the water is cold except in late July and August. If you start early in the year, the water will feel warmer later in the year.

Neoprene thickness? as much as possible.

Sharkless Boardsports, Kiteboarding, Surf & Apparel Shop

YouTube - Sharkless.com's Great Lakes All Stars

Old 03-03-2010, 02:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,379 times
Much of the time on the Great Lakes, the big waves come during storms. But even when the waves are big and there isn't a storm, the waves always come fast with very little room between crests. I mean in California, you might have several minutes between waves. On the great lakes, you generally have 10 seconds between waves so there's no lounging around on the board. I have a short video that I took of 15 foot Lake Michigan waves 3 years ago. I can e-mail it to you if you want. It's about 20 seconds long.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 AM

845 posts, read 3,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racktion View Post
Much of the time on the Great Lakes, the big waves come during storms. But even when the waves are big and there isn't a storm, the waves always come fast with very little room between crests. I mean in California, you might have several minutes between waves. On the great lakes, you generally have 10 seconds between waves so there's no lounging around on the board. I have a short video that I took of 15 foot Lake Michigan waves 3 years ago. I can e-mail it to you if you want. It's about 20 seconds long.
Post the video online! I'd love to see it!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:58 PM

Thanks, sure I'll check it out.

You might mean between sets? If I waited minutes between waves I'd assume a tsunami was on it's way. Anyway I get your point that the swell period there is relatively short.

I figure I'll just have to take a couple of surf trips throughout the year and it'll just be icing on the cake if I catch a lake wave every now and then.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:56 PM

When a thunderstorm or tornado rolls in across the Lake, thats the time...

Old 03-03-2010, 07:17 PM

haha, tornado surfing, right on!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:25 PM

I was in the water when this showed up:

http://cruisenews.net/whacked/waterspout.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 AM

25 posts, read 57,045 times
I have visions of a bunch of crazy Michiganders out there with cut off carharts for board shorts, drinking labatt and grilling hot dogs on the beach after a big day on the lake. It's awesome that people pull off surfing here. One of my buddies goes to the Holland area to surf and claims theres an area there that gets decent swells but you need a big board. I'll try to get the beta from him and post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area