Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,174 times

Advertisements

My friend grew up in Desoto. His Dad commuted to St. Louis for about 30 years everyday to work. We met up in college in Nashville TN.
I am originally from Mi.
Grand Rapids area is great, but be prepared for real winter. Those long Grey days of winter can be kinda tough. But, if God wants you there, you will be fine.
PS - Used to be a pastor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 06:14 AM

9 posts, read 31,928 times
Thanks for the warning about the winters. My mom grew up in MI and has been "warning" me of them. She suggests I rent until I make it through my first winter! However, you are correct, if that is where God wants me it will be ok.

Just learned that the enrollment at a Grandville Middle School is declining to the degree that they have had to let teachers go. What's up there??

Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 AM

136 posts, read 999,245 times
Cool Hate to bear bad news...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioborn View Post
I haven't applied for any positions yet, as I don't plan to move until summer of 08. Just gathering info, then will decide which districts to apply to. Am coming to town next month to check things out.
Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will need some SERIOUS divine intervention to acquire a teaching job in GR, depending on your certification. I am a secondary teacher (currently in MI) and I had to move to the SE corner of the state to get a job, after Student teaching in GR. For 7 years I have been trying to get back there, without ANY success. And I am a successful, recognized teacher.

The issue with declining enrollment is the state of economy and education in MI. Many people are leaving MI due to the bleak economy (not to mention the BLEAK, depressing winters). They are taking their children with them. Also, the state government keeps taking money away (or threatening to) from education MID-YEAR!!!

My wife and I are most likely leaving the state for an area of growth and opportunity. God has provided us some doors out and we are going to walk through one of them.

On a positive note, I have attended Mars Hill (as have some of my friends) and it is an INCREDIBLE place. There are fantastic programs for the whole family, great fellowship, and INSPIRED and INSPIRATIONAL teaching!!

God bless...He can make a way where there seems to be no way...
-TM

Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 AM

hey Teacherman - Thanks for the "heads-up"!! I totally agree that God will open the doors He wants open. A lot of things have to come together for my move to happen, so if/when it does I will know He did it!

Don't know if you still want to get back to GR but last week I noticed several vacancies around the city. May not be what you are certified for, but perhaps a way to get your foot in the door.

I have been getting Mars Hill teaching CDs for several years and am so excited about what God is doing there, and want to be a part of it!

Old 06-16-2007, 03:49 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,688 times
I've lived most of my life in the G.R. area and just left in '05. Winters there are not bad at all (one of the reasons we moved to the U.P., we love snow!).

Quote:
Just learned that the enrollment at a Grandville Middle School is declining to the degree that they have had to let teachers go. What's up there??
Grandville was originally considered a suburb of G.R. Now it's becoming absorbed into the larger G.R. metro area so people are moving further out to the *new* suburbs.

You won't have any trouble finding substitute teaching work until you find a permanent position. My cousin has been doing it there for 3 years now 'cause he still doesn't have his final certification or whatever is needed to become an actual teacher.
Point being........ I love my cousin dearly but you couldn't pay me to allow this person to teach my kids If you are good at what you do, they'll be overjoyed to have you!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the "Winter encouragement"! Although Ohio born I grew up in FL and am slowly working my way back north.

Does your cousin work "full-time" as a sub? I thought about that but don't know that the paycheck would support me.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:50 AM

760 posts, read 2,440,688 times
Quote:
Does your cousin work "full-time" as a sub? I thought about that but don't know that the paycheck would support me.
He usually has longer "contracts". For example I know he filled in for two different teachers on maternity leave this past year for a couple months each. Sometimes it's only a couple week ones, but last time I asked he had only gone a total of a few days without working. If he doesn't have a prior gig lined up, he calls the hotline the morning of and away he goes.

Like I said, a possible temporary thing until you find something permanent.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 12,903 times
A lot of Grandville is nice, there are some older parts (still nice though), but a lot of new parts also. A good neighborhood is located just north of Rivertown Mall (Note:Not the mall where Mars is located, this is the nice mall). There are also nice locations and houses in southwest Wyoming which can also be considered Grandville... but whatever. Mars Hill is a great church though, and may God's will be done. Have fun finding a house. But for all I know, you might have found a house already.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:02 PM

28 posts, read 162,228 times
Winters aren't nearly as bad now as they were when I was growing up. We have much milder winters here now.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,449 times
Default I live in GR

Quote:
Considering moving to the Grand Rapids area to join Mars Hill Bible Church. I'm in my early 40's, single, teacher for 18 years. Any recommendations regarding where to settle? Would like to be able to walk/bike to work, bike/jogging trails, suburbs, low crime rate, more upscale neighborhood (as upscale as I can afford on a teacher salary) .
I live in GR and attend Mars Hill Bible Church. I moved here from Grosse Pointe 16 years ago. I live in the Forest Hills area and have really liked it. Forest Hills schools and East Grand Rapids rate the highest in the area along with Rockford as well. If you have any questions about the area, you are welcome to write me and I will give you my number. I love the Mars Hill community and understand wanting to be a part of it.
I have friends that teach in Rockford and Potter's House if you want to talk to them about teaching in Grand Rapids.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area