U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,663 times

Advertisements

We have looked at several houses in the downtown Grand Rapids area and have gotten mixed reviews on the safety of the areas. We liked Ives near Butterworth, Frederick Ave NW off Atlantic, Garfield just north of Lake Michigan.
Any imput as to the safety of these areas or if we should avoid altogether would be very helpful. We have a daughter going to GVSU and would like to get a couple of room mates in with her. At the same time we don't want to get a group of girls in a bad area and just paint targets on their backs as well.
Thanks again for any and all umput.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:48 AM

484 posts, read 1,105,922 times
Default Might I suggest

I understand the reasoning behind looking at the west side but I'd suggest looking across the river and, specifically, up the hill in the Belknap and Midtown areas. Both border the Medical Mile that includes MSU's medical school and GVSU's nursing school. This means that once your daughter is done with school, you should have no problem finding good tenants for years to come.

I am a homeowner in the midtown neighborhood so I may be a little partial but I do know that there is a GVSU shuttle bus that stops at the nursing school on the corner of Lafayette and Michigan. I'm not sure if that bus continues on all the way to Allendale but I do know that it makes a stop at the downtown campus. From there, your daughter can definitely catch a shuttle to Allendale.

The neighborhoods are fairly safe and prices are low. I'd say it is much safer than most of the west side for a group of women. In fact, Midtown is statistically the safest neighborhood in the city.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area