Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 PM

26 posts, read 60,942 times

Advertisements

After doing research, I'm checking out several cities for a future place to live... I made a post earlier today describing what I am looking for and want to live in a special place:
Quote:
I'm graduating college in a few years and would like to start getting ideas on where to visit in preparation for finding my dream city.

A few things that are important to me:
Low crime
Cheap to live in (can get a decent place in the 'burbs or rural area within commuting distance for $150-200k) OR with a walkable, reasonably priced downtown area
Mid sized (100-500,000k people)
Good food!
4 seasons, I don't mind a very cold winter, in fact I kind of prefer it. I'm not a big fan of the heat!
A good economy

Not necessary but preferred:
A population of German/Russian speaking people (I am from Germany, my hopefully soon to be wife, Russian)
Good sports scene... I love watching basketball, hockey, and soccer
Near a small body of water at least, a city with a lot of lakes or maybe near the great lakes

Recommendations on cities/states?
So... I ask you... Why is your area the place for me, if it is at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:46 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Kalamazoo is not nice, Grand Rapids is a nice place. It has everything you listed

Old 04-02-2010, 01:01 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,858 times
I happen to like Kalamazoo thank you very much.

I live in GR now, however and it certainly meets your criteria as long as you can tolerate minor league sports or a 2-hour drive to Detroit for the pros. Then again, I'm not aware of a mid-sized city in America with much of a sports scene really. Even GR is just "ok" if you compare it to a town with top teams.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:44 PM

117 posts, read 367,774 times
Kalamazoo is a pretty nice community in many ways, but it is smaller than Grand Rapids so I think Grand Rapids would be a better fit for someone who values having a lot of "culture"/things to do/etc.
While there are definitely some good restaurants in Kazoo (Erbelli's for pizza and Saffron for indian food just for starters), the city isn't big enough to have a very large selection of restaurants. The "sports scene" here revolves around things like the Kalamazoo Wings minor league hockey team (although we did recently host the national championships for curling if you're into that).
In terms of crime, I would say that Portage is a very nice suburb of Kalamazoo that is very safe - but others feel it is too "bland" and suburban.
You probably are aware that the economy in Michigan is not particularly good, but at least Kazoo and Grand Rapids are doing relatively well compared to the Detroit area.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,952 times
Grand Rapids has everything you want except the cultural/language thing. Not too many actual Germans/Russians that I've seen in these parts (and the Midwest in general). However, you'll be welcomed as anyone.

If you can afford 200K for a house, feel free to take your pick of just about anyplace in the GR metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area