Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,171 times

Advertisements

I have a question for all of you. I have raised 5 of my own children, have taken care of numerous babies over the past 40 years...have been employed as a day care nursery worker and I may be old school or out of the loop, but is it ok to use your index finger and middle finger together to rap an infant on the end of his nose to teach him "no" ??? My future daughter-in-law is bi-polar and has some of the most bizaar parenting methods...my Grandson is just 7 months old and I just don't agree. Thankyou for any inpui!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:07 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,036,401 times
Good grief, no. Maybe you should give your daughter-in-law a book for Christmas on how to parent.

It can't be easy to see that and remain silent.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:55 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,732,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammaSue1952 View Post
I have a question for all of you. I have raised 5 of my own children, have taken care of numerous babies over the past 40 years...have been employed as a day care nursery worker and I may be old school or out of the loop, but is it ok to use your index finger and middle finger together to rap an infant on the end of his nose to teach him "no" ??? My future daughter-in-law is bi-polar and has some of the most bizaar parenting methods...my Grandson is just 7 months old and I just don't agree. Thankyou for any inpui!
It's a baby not a puppy...of course it's not okay.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:22 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,422,776 times
I'm not even sure that a 7 month old has the brain capacity to understand "No" let alone a rap on the nose.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,171 times
THANKYOU!!!!! I documented her behavior over just a one week period last month. She refuses treatment for her bi-polar disorder. I'm seriously considering turning that in to either the baby's pediatrician or CPS....What would you guys do?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:27 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,138,445 times
I think it's odd and unlikely to be teaching the child anything. But unless the child is being hurt/injured, I would not turn it in to the pediatrician or CPS, that seems a little over the top (if the child is being injured, yes, please report it). Instead I would mention the concern to your son, and then let it go.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:28 AM

13,982 posts, read 26,036,401 times
What does the baby's father say?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,933,558 times
geeze...it sounds like training a dog. Does she have dogs? I know sometimes I had odd crossover.

I don't think its abusive though. A little strange, but not life long scarring. It sounds like it just gets the babies attention.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:51 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,933,558 times
Is there anything else going on? If this is the worst of it, by getting authorities involved you will be getting yourself pushed out of the babies life. If someone reported me for that, they would be gone, gone, gone. And if she is bipolar, she and your grandbaby need you in their lives when things get tough. If she gets manic or deeply depressed.

Medication for bi-polar isn't easy. There are genuine reasons people stop taking it. Sometimes its just a waiting game until they get in a bad state and you can step in. It's not easy.

Is your son involved? Are they together? Does he help her out?

Strange parenting isn't the same as bad parenting. And a nit-picking grandma isn't going to win you any favor with them. Support and compassion...thats ideal.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:54 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,272,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
  • Is there anything else going on? If this is the worst of it, by getting authorities involved you will be getting yourself pushed out of the babies life. If someone reported me for that, they would be gone, gone, gone. And if she is bipolar, she and your grandbaby need you in their lives when things get tough. If she gets manic or deeply depressed.
Medication for bi-polar isn't easy. There are genuine reasons people stop taking it. Sometimes its just a waiting game until they get in a bad state and you can step in. It's not easy.

Is your son involved? Are they together? Does he help her out?

Strange parenting isn't the same as bad parenting. And a nit-picking grandma isn't going to win you any favor with them. Support and compassion...thats ideal.
I agree, yes, tapping a baby on the nose to teach "no" sounds more like training a dog.

However, it is not bad enough to report to CPS or the pediatrician. But, please mention your concerns to your son.

If you notice dangerous behavior please notify the appropriate person or services immediately perhaps CPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents