Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 11:41 AM

797 posts, read 238,498 times

Advertisements

Indeed, I am, and mostly how far disposable diapers have come.

When my kids were babies... 1980's through to the mid 90's, I used good old-fashioned cloth diapers and rubber pants, but do remember the old plastic disposable Pampers diapers of yesteryear, and there is no comparison between today's modern disposable diapers vs yesteryears disposable diapers.

Also, no more drop-side baby cribs. Ugh, can't imagine brining up a baby and trying to lift (in and out of a fixed-sided crib) a toddler. The poor backs of moms.

Also I don't see glass baby bottles anymore, but when I was raising my kids, I used glass bottles for all 6! Glass in the beginning, then plastic bottles later on, once they got older and were walking, etc. Still remember how I warmed those old glass baby bottles by suspending said bottle in a pot of water on the stovetop.

Gone are the days of diaper pins (not in all households, but I'd say most)

No more old-fashioned plastic diaper pails, and playpens aren't what they used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 05:08 PM

716 posts, read 539,422 times
Omg $1200 strollers and $400 car seats and $ 400 high chairs and all the fri king gadgets makes my head explode. And they all share this must have crap on the internet Our kids even have a speci pad to dry the baby’s bottles.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:02 AM

797 posts, read 238,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
Omg $1200 strollers and $400 car seats and $ 400 high chairs and all the fri king gadgets makes my head explode. And they all share this must have crap on the internet Our kids even have a speci pad to dry the baby’s bottles.
Such a waste of money.

When I was raising babies, I had two cribs, two diaper pails, 3-4 dozen diapers (cloth), a few sets of diaper pins, a dozen pairs of rubber pants, a few sets of pyjamas, some extra crib sheets, a half dozen glass baby bottles, and a couple of soothers. The cribs, diaper pails, and the bulk of the clothing I started off with, was all hand-me-downs, further adding to the overall savings.

Another wasteful baby thing... changing tables. I changed my kids in their cribs and on top of the bathroom counter.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:46 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,180 times
I just went through this with my daughter. I couldn't believe the prices of things. They felt they had to purchase two car seats (for both cars so not to have to swap it), plus they also got an infant carrier that fit bases in the 2 cars and a stroller fixture. Probably close to $800 for all of them. Luckily she had a lot of friends who passed down clothes and a crib/dresser. She also had a large shower that filled 2 SUVs going home. I purchased most of my gifts during Amazon Prime Day so got some bargains, but still probably spent $150 for only a few things. Their big present was going to be for Christmas, though, and they realized that, so I didn't spend tons. She is a professional as are most of her friends so they have more money than we, both on SS, do.

Unfortunately with everything that people gave her that limits us from buying anything small. She has so many clothes and small toys and books that we don't know what she has or doesn't. Even has a ton of diapers from various sources.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:48 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
She has so many clothes and small toys and books that we don't know what she has or doesn't.

Trust me: This won't change, you'll still be dealing with it when the baby is a toddler and in preschool.

It caused me some serious shopping paralysis this past holiday, because my GDTR has literally piles of toys, none of which are able to hold her interest for more than about five minutes. I hesitate to buy clothes because they are outgrown so fast and will end up being given away in less than six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents