Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 07:23 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,841 times

Advertisements

On what occasions/holidays do you give your grandchild(ren) a gift?

I am being continually surprised by the number of occasions on which my DIL's parents and other relatives give or send gifts to my granddaughter. It wouldn't occur to me to "gift" her (or anyone) on some of these occasions but maybe I am behind the times??

So far I have seen her other grandmother, plus several aunts/uncles on that side of the family (there's only myself on my side) give her a present for her birthday, Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's day (a green stuffed animal), Easter, Halloween, and Thanksgiving.

I should mention that my granddaughter already has a house filled with toys and other paraphernalia (so much so that I'd be afraid to buy her anything for fear she already has it) so it's not as if she otherwise wouldn't have much 'stuff'. Indeed, I have no idea what to get her for Christmas because she seems to have every toy in the world already and rarely plays with any for more than a few minutes at a time. She'd rather be pulling stuff out of closets and kitchen cabinets, LOL

For me, birthday and Christmas are the two expected-gift-giving days. When my son was little, I'd make a small Easter basket with a toy and book, and hide plastic eggs with coins in them around the house, but that's it. We didn't give him gifts on those other holidays mentioned above. And like my granddaughter, he was always getting 'stuff' regularly throughout the year; every Friday night after a dinner out, we'd stop at the local Toys R Us, for example.

But is the idea of giving a grandchild a Halloween present, Thanksgiving present, Valentines Day present, etc., normal these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 07:37 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,460 times
I’m not a young grandma (74) so maybe I’m not in tune with the times. My grandkids (ages 13 and 11) receive birthday and Christmas gifts plus card for major holidays with a little money inside (Valentines, Easter, Halloween). When we visit for a few days I bring a couple inexpensive things for them and some homemade cookies for the family. That’s it. The other grandma (who is very wealthy) does about the same thing—not too many gifts.

As they get older it’s harder. They aren’t into toys, so sometimes money to attend something or a subscription is what they receive.

I don’t think they benefit from getting loads of stuff all year long.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:16 AM

I'm in my 70s also. I confess to even being a little surprised by how often people send cards as well (this isn't limited to grandparent relationships) but that may be a function of my own experience. My parents and grandparents didn't exchange cards for holidays other than birthday, Christmas, and Easter. Because I myself don't celebrate Easter, the only cards I normally give/send are for someone's birthday and for the winter holiday season. (other than a get-well, sympathy, wedding, or new-baby card if any of those happen to occur)

I was raised with the mindset that Valentines Day cards are exchanged between two people who are in a romantic relationship, and I still feel that way. I love my son dearly but I'd never dream of giving him a Valentines Day card or gift, because I don't love him in that way. Ditto for my grandchild.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:08 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post

For me, birthday and Christmas are the two expected-gift-giving days.
This is your standard. Other people have different standards.

Quote:

But is the idea of giving a grandchild a Halloween present, Thanksgiving present, Valentines Day present, etc., normal these days?
It is fairly typical to mark these holidays somehow. In my observation, grandparents get caught up when they are out and see something cute in the holiday theme for a baby, so they get it. Or they want to bring the baby something when they visit for those holidays.

My parents gave me something for every holiday when I was growing up. It was fun. As for Valentines, we exchanged Valentines in school as early as kindergarten, so there was no romantic distinction drawn for me, until I had my own boyfriend in high school.

I would not waste time comparing the gift giving from other grandparents. Just approach the holidays the way you feel comfortable doing it. Be consistent in the time you spend with her as she grows up, because that is what she will remember anyway.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:47 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times
You should be free to follow your own traditions. The big thing is to treat all of your grandchildren the same.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
As for Valentines, we exchanged Valentines in school as early as kindergarten, so there was no romantic distinction drawn for me, until I had my own boyfriend in high school.

Oh, I remember those too; the kiddie valentines in grade school. Although I have to say that IMHO the tradition caused more hurt than happiness because there were always certain kids who got lots of valentines and those who received none (except the one from the teacher which of course "didn't count" in our minds.) Apparently nowadays in many schools the children are required to give a Valentine to everyone in the class (which IMHO makes the whole thing meaningless) but that wasn't the way it worked when I went to school during the 1950s. Not sure when that practice was put into effect but I do know that when my son was in grade school during the early 1990s he was definitely NOT required to bring a Valentine for everyone.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Oh, I remember those too; the kiddie valentines in grade school. Although I have to say that IMHO the tradition caused more hurt than happiness because there were always certain kids who got lots of valentines and those who received none (except the one from the teacher which of course "didn't count" in our minds.) Apparently nowadays in many schools the children are required to give a Valentine to everyone in the class (which IMHO makes the whole thing meaningless) but that wasn't the way it worked when I went to school during the 1950s. Not sure when that practice was put into effect but I do know that when my son was in grade school during the early 1990s he was definitely NOT required to bring a Valentine for everyone.
That's sad. When I was in school in the late 70s we all brought for everyone. I don't even think it was a policy. It was just how you did it.

So as you see, practices vary. The other relatives do these traditions differently from you. It's one of the many conflicts that arise when families merge through marriage.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:51 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Quote:
I also was in elementary school in the 1950s, and the rule was that we had to give Valentines to every child in our class, whether we liked them a lot or a little or not at all. Commercially made packages of children's Valentines were available, and I can remember going through them to make sure I didn't give one that was too sentimental to the wrong person. The focus was also on elaborate, handmade Valentine boxes then - usually making use of a Kleenex box as a foundation, then adding red, pink and white construction and/or crepe paper, and so on. We usually had cupcakes as well. School Valentine parties took place during the last half hour of the school day, so teachers didn't have to deal with sugar highs and overly excited kids.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:54 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
As for giving grandchildren presents for every holiday, consider giving children's books with stories about the holiday that can be read each year as part of the festivities. For older children, information books about the holiday would also work - give the books a few days ahead of time so they can be read in advance to enhance the anticipation.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
On what occasions/holidays do you give your grandchild(ren) a gift?

(snip)

I give my grandchildren (2,000 miles away) gifts on the birthday and Christmas. I also give small gifts when I visit (once or twice a year) or maybe pay to go to a children's museum or something similar while I am there. I also send books or small gifts "when the mood strikes me" maybe a couple times a year.

Among my friends who are grandparents, I do not think that anyone gives gifts for other holidays, except maybe a small bit of candy and/or small holiday related toy for Valentines Day and Easter. A gift for Halloween and Thanksgiving? Heck, no.

And, aunts and uncles, among my friends and relatives, only give gifts on birthdays and Christmas (except maybe for a small gift when they visit from out of town).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents