Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 01:39 PM

282 posts, read 247,954 times

Advertisements

We live in a very litigious society these days. Unfortunately there is always going to be someone who doesn't use common sense and accidents will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 09:14 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
This thread does make me wonder how it is the human race has managed to survive. So many of the baby items today are labeled and made with ridiculous restrictions because the manufacturers are concerned about liability issues. I have grandchildren 2,4, and 4. My daughter told me she is sick of seeing DANGER or WARNING on everything they own for the children. May as well say "don't be an idiot use as intended". (I rather see that, then WARNING all over the car seats and infant carriers.
I have a play pen. They don't make play pens anymore. Pack and Plays suck. No padded top rail like the old play pens. I would always place the children in a play pen if I were cooking or couldn't keep my eyes on them. Easy open and close and storage. Now days they just crawl all over without restriction. So difficult to get anything done. I think that's more dangerous than a play pen. Yet, morons would leave one side down on the play pen and children might get caught in the netting or suffocate. Really? then you are an irresponsible parent. Nope, do away with play pens. (and the name is demeaning, they are not animals...give me a break.)

Yes, I do have a full size crib in a spare room for the babes. Yes it is a NEW crib, (but I wish I had saved the old one) Raised three kiddos in it and it was beautiful. No one was caught in bumpers or toppled over the sides. Oh and we did keep a blanket in the crib (another "no-no" by today's standards). when they began to climb, we kept it low, so they could get out safely. What has happened to common sense?
In regard to the original post I would say it is wonderful if you are able to make the crib so that it meets today's standards. Good luck to you and congratulations, enjoy that new grandbaby. There is nothing like it.
Glad to see there are others like me. My first grandbaby is 2 months old. I was astounded as to what my DD was told not to do. Don't use bumpers, don't use blankets, don't have a drop down side, don't put the baby on it's stomach, etc. etc. We only had her and I made her a beautiful crib set of quilt, bumper and dust ruffle that I was hoping she could pass on....might as well sold it at a garage sale. She says that the baby doesn't like to sleep in the crib...well, no wonder! Probably cold without a blanket, and the crib is totally empty. Could have whacked her head on the rails as far as we know. I know that might daughter loved to sleep with her head pushed up to the bumper, but it would hurt her now to do that. I can see some of the new safety standards, but it has gone so far beyond that it is ridiculous.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:05 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Crib conversion completed two months ago.
  • Crib never had finials on the corner posts, no rework necessary.
  • Crib never had cut-outs in the end panels, no rework necessary.
  • Spindle spacing met current day standards, no rework necessary.
  • Drop-down side hardware was removed and that side panel is now fixed in place.
  • Removing drop-side hardware necessitated installing two additional spindle substitutes to eliminate the suddenly too wide space where the former guide rails for the drop side resided.
  • Mattress spring panel hangers are now screwed into place rather than just being hung onto metal ears and held by gravity.
  • Crib is now erected in the Baby's Nursery at his parent's home. They requested to borrow the crib and I insisted it meet all current standards.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 825 times
goods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents